Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday spin, 30 August

Options
  • 26-08-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

OK, this may be a bit short notice but with a lot of us wanting to get back on our bikes before the end of the summer and also with the Tour of Ireland going on, I am suggesting we give a route like this (draft) a go.

Idea is that we would do the first leg (185km) on Saturday, stay over in Caher (or some similar place) for a bit of dinner and a few drinks Saturday night, and do the final 81km the next morning to be down in Cork for the finish of the Tour of Ireland on Sunday (est 14:41.) And then get the train back to Dublin.

Anyone interested? The distances are no worse than we do with a Wicklow Saturday/Meath Sunday spin and I can assure that the route from Dublin to Cork is pretty much like going around Kildare/Meath, there is not much in the way of hills unless you go out of your way to seek them out.

We could maybe even pick up Kildare boardsies such as penexpers on the way :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I would love to, but unfortunately I have a prior engagement which rules me out. Great idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Would love to as well, but I have committments on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'd be 100% for it, except for the fact that at 12:30 on Sat I'm getting root canal on my stump :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'd love to do it ... must train, but i ll be away till sun night. Next week tho, I am cycling Everyday to catch up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've got a gig on Saturday night..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Haven't been on a boards spin in a while but unfortunately I'm all booked up Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, that's a bit too much for me I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭Bambaata

would love to but i'll be at EP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

I'd be 100% for it, except for the fact that at 12:30 on Sat I'm getting root canal on my stump :eek:

Me too, but there doesn't seem to be any other takers.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

185km :eek::eek: and here's me thinking i'm the bees knees doing a blackrock to bray work trip twice a week. Fair play folks that's some cycle. In the great words of Sir Alex Ferguson "Bloody hell"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

That sounds brilliant!
    Unfortunately Im off for my two weeks of sun from friday so I wont be able to do it. Enjoy it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This could be an idea for a Boards 'super spin' some other weekend though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Definitely. I'd love that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am up for a Boards super spin next week's weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I wouldn't be able to go all the way to Cork but I'd be up for going as far as Kilcullen or so. Where would you start and what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think it might be best to park it until some future weekend where we can give a bit of notice and get a good amount of participation. I'm in France the next two weekends but the weekend of 20/21 September or 27/28 September would be good for me. We sometimes have a bit of summer in September too.

I'll post up a thread about a "normal" Saturday spin instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Im in Frankfurt 20/21 but id be up for the 27/28

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

27/28 would suit me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Yeah, I'd be up for this too some other weekend. In fact probably any other weekend that this one coming up. If a date was set in advance, I could make sure to be free for it.

EDIT: +1 for 27/28 of Sept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Folks to get back to the original topic of a Sat (or Sun) spin. I am aiming to head out by Wicklow over the w/e. Out by Enniskerry on the way to Roundwood, but hoping to head up Djouce and on to Sally Gap. Way home to be decided. Would welcome the company, of anyone is interested. BTW, I am slooowwww going up climbs, so if I am left behind not a problem. Sat or Sun suit, but would prefer early (8.30am start from Castleknock ideally).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

If you ever do this and don't mind a short detour at the end to Cobh, you're welcome to showers and cake at our place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

+1 for 27/28 of Sept
    blorg wrote: »
    I think it might be best to park it until some future weekend where we can give a bit of notice and get a good amount of participation. I'm in France the next two weekends but the weekend of 20/21 September or 27/28 September would be good for me. We sometimes have a bit of summer in September too.

I'll post up a thread about a "normal" Saturday spin instead.
    Cool, enjoy. Going for holiday? Cycling? I spent most of June and July cycling around France. Which part are you going to? I liked Lorraine a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Húrin wrote: »
    Cool, enjoy. Going for holiday? Cycling? I spent most of June and July cycling around France. Which part are you going to? I liked Lorraine a lot.
    Yes, flying in to Rodez on Saturday, out of Biarritz on Tuesday a bit over a week later. Hoping to follow a route somewhat like this.

Advertisement