Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Number 3

• 26-08-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey so were living in the Gasworks Barrow Street Dublin 4 this year and im aware that the number 3 stops outside! Anyone any info on what this bus is like in terms of reliability etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It takes about 45mins to get from the city centre to UCD at 3pm. I got it once and swore "never again".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Walk.
    I dont mean to sound mean but if you are living in D4 it will not be a long walk, also the bus is very unreliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

OP the number 2 bus also would go from near you to UCD however the problem with both of those bus routes is that they officially terminate at Sandymount and only a selection of them go on to UCD and it can be very difficult to figure out what time you'll be able to get a bus because the timetable gives the time they leave the other end of their route (larkhill for the No. 3 and Parnell Sq for the No. 2).....that said first thing in the morning they do tend to turn up at more or less the same time each day (I know that should be a given for buses on a timetable but this is Dublin Bus we're talking about) so after a few days of trial and error you should be able to time your arrival at the bus stop so you aren't waiting too long. They get progressively less reliable as the day goes on though and in the evenings you can forget about it because Strand Road is bumper to bumper from about 4pm on....

Another option of course is to buy a bike and cycle in then you're not stuck to a timetable, walking is an option but imo while it might look close to UCD on map, still a good 45min walk and if its raining wouldn't be my idea of fun. Of course if you walk down the canal to leeson street you can hop on a 10 or a 46a which both run much more frequently than the 3 or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭niamherz88

cheers. I have my car also so im not badly stuck and a lot of my starts are at 9am so i shouldnt be too bad!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭McNuggy

It takes about 45mins to get from the city centre to UCD at 3pm. I got it once and swore "never again".

similiar experience guys... got on the 3 from UCD... fell asleep 4 wat felt like an hour.. woke up assuming id missed my stop but was only at sydney parade... took an hour and a half to get to westmoreland street...but that was in crazy traffice..... i too vowed never again.. ever...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

the 3 is the weirdest bus going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭bnt

+1 on the walking: I'm doing it from Shelbourne Rd. (just short of Gasworks), and I've done it in under 1/2 hour. The right shoes, plus the right tunes in your headphones, and it just flies by after the first couple of times.

After a while you can even read while walking, since you learn where you need to watch for cars (or not) e.g crossing Merrion Rd. is dodgy at rush hour. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement