Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New kitchen

Options
  • 26-08-2008 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Need a bit of advice. We are replacing our kitchen and want to change the floor too - ceramic tile floor which stops at the kitchen plinth (dirty grout line along here). This floor runs right into the dining area (open plan). I was thinking of a few different options;
    1. rip up old tiles and lay new tiles - messy job I imagine.
    2. laying new tiles on top of the existing tiles - would need transitional saddles at doors, doors may need to be undercut too.
    3. laying timber laminate floor on top of existing tiles.
    4. laying vinyl tiles on top of existing tiles.
    5. timber floor in the dining room and tiles in the kitchen (ceramic or vinyl).

We also have to deal with the existing wall tiles which are onto plasterboard - reckon we will just tile over these rather than trying to remove them.

Anyone got any thoughts or suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Johnny Bringo

Sounds like a hell of a job but help is to hand can you tell me what surface is already in place as in whats under the tiles, I will provide you with an indepth answer to all the senarios you have put forward so you can see what suits you

Regards builditwell

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭JohnnyBingo

Thanks Builditwell. Have more or less decided to lay new ceramic tiles over the old ones (which are on a concrete slab). I know we will have to prime these first, doors will need to be undercut, probably new saddles,.......anything else I should look out for?
    Also, whats the going rate for a decent tiler? I have heard about €15 per sq. yard? The room we are getting done is rectangular - no oddball areas in it and measures about 35 Sq yards.

While you're there, we are alos looking at overtiling the existing splashback......any thing to look out for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

You are heading in the right direction, The undercutting will give you a very neat job , the skirting around the walls also will have to be removed.The rate for ceramics is about right i would probablty quote less as there is plenty of yardage involved. As for the walls if you are replacing the cabinets its best to replace the sections of plasterboard which have been previously tiled, even if you remove all of the tiles they will still be uneven in spots and could cause finishing defects if using 10cm X 10cm tiles which are most common. With regard to the saddles if there is a need for one i would see if they can be removed and reduce the width of them so that the last tile or finished edge is under the door as in between the door stops so you cant see either surface from both sides of the door.

Regards
    Builditwell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Hi to do tiles over whats already there not really a great job at all it takes one of my lads about an hour with a kango and to clean up and then your starting from new with a really nice job and if its a wooden floor under the same with a shovel cleans every thing as I said before everyones standards are diffrent mine are do the job right the wall can be striped and a little bonding sorts it very quickly.
    Do it right and be finshed the price for a labourer or a handy man to do you a nixer sounds about right but a tiler in Dublin would be more like 25 euro per sq meter and up for a good job, then again you get what you pay for.
    strip the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

harly1516 wrote: »
    Hi to do tiles over whats already there not really a great job at all.

I agree totally. Generally, it's not that difficult to remove ceramic tiles from a concrete screed. Any really difficult bits should come away easily with a kango and a wide chisel. Most will come away with the shovel or in fact, I find a spade can be better.

At least you'll be doing the job properly and as it should be done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement