Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talk Talk

Options
  • 26-08-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

My parents recently switched our broadband and landline over to Talk Talk. And my mom is now complaining of a massive bill we got from them. Im just wondering if Talk Talk charge for Downloaded stuff. I download alot of torrents, is that what is causing the bill to go sky high? or is it just people using the phone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

depends on the cap and they might charge extra for downloadin torrents

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

is there anyway i can find out their cap etc now, instead of waiting to ring them??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

have they got a website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Think you mean UTV (UTV Talk)? Or is it someone else?

https://ssl.u.tv/youraccount/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Not UTV Talk. It's Talk Talk, which is, as far as I know, a Carphone Warehouse company.

http://www.talktalk.ie/

They operate a Fair Use policy on their BB package according to the T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

TalkTalk operate a Fair Usage Policy in Ireland afaik and do not have set caps...atleast they didn't lasttime I looked through there T&C's and website. I'd suggest your mother call them and query the bill, I'd say its down to phone call charges..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Usually, when you subscribe to a new service, you get a bill for the line rental and in this case broadband from the day you are connected to the end of next billing period plus the next month(s) line rental and broadband so this may explain the high bill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

yes the 1st bill usually looks more like a double bill with the last months calls and line rental plus they also add the NEXT months rental, if this is the case it is normal for most companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

you pay for the broadband the date it goes active on the line

ive seen customers waiting six months for talktalk broadband

while you wait for the their wireless modem to arrive can take two weeks plus

so your paying for broadband your not using

the first bill is normally massive

one months line rental and broadband monthly fees in advance

there cap is 100gb a month go over it and they will limit your connection

there is a thirty euro connection charge for the broadband

if you signed up for talk complete plus broadband there is 30 euro connection charge and fifty euro transfer fee

hard to find that info on their website

talktalk used to have Irish tech support for the broadband provided a good service

talktalk tech support is now in england very poor

customer service is based in Ireland 1902

they bill monthly so have to pay bill before the next bill date

they will block your line for something like 20euro owed on your account
    and then charge you five euro late payment charge

payment options are poor they only take credit card payment over the phone no laser

there system is only set up for english debit cards they are a english company after all

all bills come from england and all payments go to england eg if a customer makes payment by cheque

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Thanks a ,illion everyone! Im guessing the bill isnt because of me after all then!:) You all have brough me so much relief!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭JohnOwonga

Hello,

Any one know about TalkTalk be introducing the 7.6 Meg Broadband they currently only do 3meg service max.

There customer service is appauling.

TalkTalk Phone service charge €2-50 per minute to call India Landline yes thats a whopping €2 euros and 50 cents.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well since they are a Eircom reseller like BT, UTV etc I'd imagine they'll have upto 7.6MB very very very shortly :)

2.50e a min, what number are you dialing JohnOwonga?
    that doesn't sound right at all

Cabaal wrote: »
    Well since they are a Eircom reseller like BT, UTV etc I'd imagine they'll have upto 7.6MB very very very shortly :)

2.50e a min, what number are you dialing JohnOwonga?
    that doesn't sound right at all

>>>>>
    That was months ago I remember I asked TalkTalk Customer Service
    I am on Talk 3 Package all UK & USA numbers free of charge,
    The only way you can bypass these crazy rates is allocate 5 frequently called numbers in places like India etc in my case it was a one off business number so I did not go for their special package.

Its sharp practise to me to charge these rates.

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    TalkTalk Phone service charge €2-50 per minute to call India Landline yes thats a whopping €2 euros and 50 cents.

Not sure about that €2.50 - their website states €1.72 (inc vat) - http://www.talktalk.ie/docs/int_rates.pdf

Eircom charge €2.21 per minute to phone India - a Band 10 country according to http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/Sn1_pt2.pdf

whoops read that all arse ways, thought the 2.50e comment was in relation to calling there indian support or something :)

nevermind, anyway if you want to call a landline in India why not just use Skype, Blueface etc etc etc :D

Not sure about that €2.50 - their website states €1.72 (inc vat) - http://www.talktalk.ie/docs/int_rates.pdf

Eircom charge €2.21 per minute to phone India - a Band 10 country according to http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/Sn1_pt2.pdf

>>>>
    I would like to point out that charge per minute was given to me by Talk Talk Customer Services Agents who generally behave like monkeys out of control i.e if you pay peanuts you get monkeys plus those jobs tend to have high staff turnover in them too but not now with a recession I think.

It was a ripoff compared to Blueface.ie vonage.co.uk and that Switz Crowd Fineara call13434.ie

But then it was good value compared to Eircom so why do people stay with Eircom because they are employees of theirs and get staff discount
    or its for Patriotic Reasons?

JohnOwonga wrote: »
    >>>>
    I would like to point out that charge per minute was given to me by Talk Talk Customer Services Agents who generally behave like monkeys out of control i.e if you pay peanuts you get monkeys plus those jobs tend to have high staff turnover in them too but not now with a recession I think.

It was a ripoff compared to Blueface.ie vonage.co.uk and that Switz Crowd Fineara call13434.ie

But then it was good value compared to Eircom so why do people stay with Eircom because they are employees of theirs and get staff discount
    or its for Patriotic Reasons?

Usually down to people just not bothering to change providers - better the devil you know and all that

Most people are really lazy and some even think that if they change from eircom they'll have to change there number or something stupid like that

Usually down to people just not bothering to change providers - better the devil you know and all that[/quot

>>>>
    I guess thats Why People like Eddy Hobbs the Irish Money Saving Guru does so well advising people on saving money never seen him advise people on switching from Eircom he must have shares in it compared to UK
    excellent site www.moneysavingexpert.com run by a TV Personality called "Martin Lewis"

Ever noticed in Ireland RTE never do undercover TV programmes about dodgy builders with old Grannies ready to be fleeced lol

I think Ireland is only for the Super Rich its getting like the Channel Islands
    Jersey & Guersey in certain ways,
    There are more helicopters in Ireland than any other country in the World per capita. :)

Advertisement