Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a can of coke?

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Was down in Ross Carbery in West Cork a few weeks back and went to a local coffee shop there.

I knew it was a bit expensive as the ciabatta came in at €10.50 - it was written up on the menu and I was starving. And of course they can justify that price as there are crisps and salad on the plate:rolleyes:.

Now, when I paid my bill at the till I was charged €2.10 for the can of coke.

That seemed excessive and I said "that seems awfully expensive for a can of coke" - I generally will complain if I feel I'm being ripped off.

"No, it's not. It's the same as all the other places here charge" she more or less replied.

Now, I live in Dublin and it's been a while since I've paid 2.10 for a can of coke in a coffee shop...... she's in Ross Carberry where I'm presuming the rents and wages aren't as high and she's chargin that!

Is 2.10 a reasonable price to pay for a can of coke. Am I completely out of touch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

90c in my local shop for a single can.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

waves wrote: »

I knew it was a bit expensive as the ciabatta came in at €10.50 - it was written up on the menu and I was starving. And of course they can justify that price as there are crisps and salad on the plate:rolleyes:.

They dnt have to justify anythign in fairness. They can charge €100 for it and not have to give any explanation whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

in a local pub its €2.10.. literally a can's worth. I almost said keep it but I took it and bought nothing else for the night. now a days I cant drink coke so im not too worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Price in a shop is always going to be cheaper than price in a pub or restaurant. Check the price list prior to ordering, that's what it's there for, then simply blacklist the rip off merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In fairness €2.10 seems very expensive for a can. As mentioned OP there's nothing you can do about it now as they can charge what they like for it but vote with your feet and tell them you won't be going there again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

And name them wherever you can. Surely if €2.10 is the price of a can of Coke, there is no shame in letting boards users know where they can avail of such offers when in Rosscarberry. (if you can remember it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Most pubs charge around €2.70 for 200ml of coke, so €2.10 for 330ml isn't too bad.

It's not really fair comparing a shop to a restaurant, a restaurant would normally have additional costs in providing the coke including providing a glass, service, ice etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Normal price tbh. How much is a coke in McDonalds,etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not the same... coke in McD's is made from concentrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

I made it quite clear to her that it was very expensive.

Friend of mine has a coffee shop in North Wicklow and charges €1.90 for a 500ml bottle of coke.

The place was called the Pilgrim's Rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

It seems expensive to me , although I don't buy coke to be honest.

As a general rule I find the prices of soft drinks in pubs and restaurants totally extortionate , but the debate with that and the drink-driving is something for another forum

Ill be honest I think 10.50 is expensive for what is a sandwich also.

The only way these places ( I mean service outlets of all kinds ) will lower their prices if if people don't buy ( simple economics ), so the choice is ours .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

In shops €1 is standard, in the can machines in work its 75c/85c. In the garage that I used to work in that only has a vending machine (no shop) its still 50c a can. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

jahalpin wrote: »
    Most pubs charge around €2.70 for 200ml of coke, so €2.10 for 330ml isn't too bad.

It's not really fair comparing a shop to a restaurant, a restaurant would normally have additional costs in providing the coke including providing a glass, service, ice etc.

Indeed, working out the per ml price using the pubs pricing, the price of the 330ml can should be €4.45.

OP was in fact getting a bargain. You should have been more grateful.

Its not fair comparing a shop to a restaurant, but it is fair to compare a can of coke in a coffee shop to a price of a small bottle in a pub. Because as we all know, pubs arent making an extortionate mark up on soft drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

I think that €2.10 is about the going rate in a cafe.

You're also paying for the service, the ice, a clean glass and the use of the table etc etc.

When you buy a can of coke in a shop, you just pay for the can of coke!

Thats not to say its not expensive, just not any more expensive than other similar places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Davidth88 wrote: »
    It seems expensive to me , although I don't buy coke to be honest.

As a general rule I find the prices of soft drinks in pubs and restaurants totally extortionate , but the debate with that and the drink-driving is something for another forum

Ill be honest I think 10.50 is expensive for what is a sandwich also.

The only way these places ( I mean service outlets of all kinds ) will lower their prices if if people don't buy ( simple economics ), so the choice is ours .

+1 on that, more true now than ever with the way the economy is heading...vote with your feet & your voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

This seems a high price when you compare it to a shop, but for a small Coffee shop their over heads can be huge, wages being the biggest one, they have to thread a thin line between how much they can charge to pay expenses before people will stop eating their.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I would think that selling drinks is where cafes would make most their profit drinks are the product with the lowest cost and highest price. 2.10 is a lot of pay for a can of coke in a shop but probably normal in the likes of restaurants and bars.

Here in Germany they take it one step further. If you ask for a coke they will charge you the 2 euro or whatever and give you cheap sh'it that is not coca cola but some own brand stuff or something. You have to specifically ask for coca cola to get coca cola. Wonder what profit they are making :confused:

Was the price of the can of coke not written somewhere to see before purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As the place was charging €10.50 for a fancy roll you hardly think they aren't going to be charging a lot for a can of coke. I'd say the mark up on the roll was way more then the coke.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Not the same... coke in McD's is made from concentrate.

All coke here is made from concentrate. McD's just buy in bulk and it's easier to transport concentrate around and mix at point of sale then thousands of cans or bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

Del2005 wrote: »
    As the place was charging €10.50 for a fancy roll you hardly think they aren't going to be charging a lot for a can of coke. I'd say the mark up on the roll was way more then the coke.

I know - I think the way I saw it was "hey, I am paying over the odds for a sandwich - I can deal with that. If they screw me over the coke, that'll annoy me".

Checked prices in two cafe in Dun Laoghaire earlier (where presumably overheads are more expensive).
    €1.95 (in a very similar place)
    €1.50 (in more of a snack bar)

I also appreciate the fact that there is a difference in shop bought and cafe/bar bought drinks prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

waves wrote: »
    Friend of mine has a coffee shop in North Wicklow and charges €1.90 for a 500ml bottle of coke.

Thats not cheap eaither btw. The dearer shops (convenince stores and garages) charge about 1.40 -1.50 for a 500ml bottle.

But as said, comparing shops and restaurants isnt a fair comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement