Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting Arts - Denominated. (choosing other subjects)

Options
  • 26-08-2008 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi.:)

My first time on this board - so sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't see it.

I'm excited to be starting in UCD, but am a bit lost in some ways.

I'm doing DN058, and understand that I will be 'pre-registered' for the German modules. And that's 30 credits in the first two semesters.

I guess I choose my other modules on Friday - from the list called 'subject streams' on the DN058 page of the website? I'm thinking of choosing Greek & Roman Civilisation as my second subject, and probably opting for the 4 modules in that - 20 credits in the first two semesters. That leaves me with 10 to get, by choosing another 'elective'. I've no idea what to choose for that elective.

Can anyone tell me if it's right to start registering for modules on Friday? I'm going to the induction next week, and see there are 'school taster lectures' on Wednesday. Do people usually wait until after that to register for modules/electives? I don't want to rush into anything, but on the other hand, I'm reading that it's 'first come first served', so maybe I should register a.s.a.p.

Any advice is very welcome. Thanks a million.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Leisha wrote: »

My first time on this board - so sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't see it.

I'm doing DN058, and understand that I will be 'pre-registered' for the German modules. And that's 30 credits in the first two semesters.

I guess I choose my other modules on Friday - from the list called 'subject streams' on the DN058 page of the website? I'm thinking of choosing Greek & Roman Civilisation as my second subject, and probably opting for the 4 modules in that - 20 credits in the first two semesters. That leaves me with 10 to get, by choosing another 'elective'. I've no idea what to choose for that elective.

Can anyone tell me if it's right to start registering for modules on Friday? I'm going to the induction next week, and see there are 'school taster lectures' on Wednesday. Do people usually wait until after that to register for modules/electives? I don't want to rush into anything, but on the other hand, I'm reading that it's 'first come first served', so maybe I should register a.s.a.p.

Denominated Arts subjects are preregistered for their modules. You don't have to choose an elective. You can take the other 30 credits from core and option modules through Arts, i.e. 20 credits through Greek and Roman and 10 credits in any other Arts subject that interests you.

You might want to take a look at the Arts subject blocks on the UCD site. As far as I know, you need to take German as either a joint major (25 credits) or major (30 credits) w/minor - so think about progression rules when picking first year modules (i.e. Are there any specific Greek & Roman modules I need to take so that I can choose it as a joint major, or as a minor, in stage two & three).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Welcome to the boards Greek and Roman Civilisation club, you are the second one apart from me:D. You will have a ball, are you doing the international arts degree where you spend a year in Germany?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leisha

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's the Arts International course, with a year in Germany.

I wasn't sure if I had to go about choosing modules in Greek or Roman Civ. (or whatever other subject I'd be opting to study) on Friday, or not. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it's the Arts International course, with a year in Germany.

I wasn't sure if I had to go about choosing modules in Greek or Roman Civ. (or whatever other subject I'd be opting to study) on Friday, or not. :confused:

In first year you dont pick you subjects for Greek and Roman Civ but in second and third year you pick your subjects. This is unlike other subjects where they force you to do 4 and pick only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

I would say register for modules as soon as the option is available but keep in mind that if after a taster lecture next week or after the first week of proper lectures you don't like your elective or you find another module you'd love, the option to switch does remain....that is the beauty of electives you can do something totally unconnected to your other subjects or something only vaguely connected or something that was an option in your core subjects....oh and welcome to ucd :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

You'll be pre-registered for the core German modules, I'm sure there will be option modules that you may want to look at too. That'll obviously raise the amnount of credits you have, and then you select whatever else you want on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Leisha

Thanks everyone.:)

Advertisement