Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What drum machines/programs do you use for coming up with idea's etc?

• 27-08-2008 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I want to get my hands on a good jam along one that you can ideally control via pedals for coming up with ideas. Something that sounds realistic. I don't want any hip hop drum sounds. Good rock beats that i can vary as i play along. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Tom-eg wrote: »
    I want to get my hands on a good jam along one that you can ideally control via pedals for coming up with ideas. Something that sounds realistic. I don't want any hip hop drum sounds. Good rock beats that i can vary as i play along. Any ideas?
    I've no idea what to recommed hardware-wise as I've never used any. For software on the other hand I use Toontrack's EZDrummer normally with the Drumkit From Hell expansion pack as a VST in FL Studio. There are MP3 samples available to listen to on the Toontrack website but if you're interested in something more amateurish, I've attached two MP3s to this post as an example of what's possible.

I also use Guitar Pro quite a bit. The Guitar Pro interface can be a bit fiddly when entering drums though as you have to enter the notes on a musical staff. You can download a demo of it here. The drums sounds themselves aren't amazing but they get the job done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Rebirth is kind of good and its free to download from propellerheads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

damonjewel wrote: »
    Rebirth is kind of good and its free to download from propellerheads
    I didn't know that, good find! It can be downloaded here.

The thing is though, from what I remember of Rebirth, it doesn't sound realistic and the OP wants
    Tom-eg wrote: »
    Something that sounds realistic.

so I don't think that would fit the bill. Mind you, it is free so no harm in downloading it and having a listen :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

I find it very easy to use and I just loop it and work from there for a basic idea. It is a bit ''dance'' but great fun to mess with.

Beatcraft is very realistic sounding if you want something more rockier

http://acoustica.com/beatcraft/#examples

this guy really gets the best out of it

http://www.demondigital.com/backstage/tutorials.php

Advertisement