Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your top XI from the Prem (Excluding Top 4)

• 27-08-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭

The select your prem XI in the other thread is mostly revolving around Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United. Prob more debate when considering your select XI outside of the top 4

Given

Richards
    King
    Dunne
    Warnock

Barry

---Arteta
    Krjancar

---- Young
    Downing ----

Berbatov

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Given

Johnson
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Barry

Arteta
    Cahill
    Kompany
    Young

Owen (C)
    Berbatov

There are so many options down the left (Tuncay, Milner, Downing, Petrov).

slingerz wrote: »
    The select your prem XI in the other thread is mostly revolving around Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man United. Prob more debate when considering your select XI outside of the top 4

Given

Richards
    King
    Dunne
    Warnock

Barry

---Arteta
    Krjancar

---- Young
    Downing ----

Berbatov

- King has been injured most of the last three years and is made of glass - in theory he could have been great, but I'd question how useful he is at the moment;

- Has Young ever played a game on the right?;

- As much as Berbatov is great, if you play him there on his own you will have no movement up front. He is very lazy and was lucky to have Keane do all his running for him at Spurs;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Given

Richards
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Lescott

Diarra
    Barry

Tuncay
    Modric
    Young

Santa Cruz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Given

Johnson
    Dunne
    Laursen
    Lescott

Bentley
    Barry
    Young

Berbatov
    Agbonlahor

Defoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Given
    Richards---Dunne---Woodgate---Lescott
    Barry
    Arteta
    Modric
    Young
    Santa Cruz--Berbatov

That was difficult. Took me ages to think of a left back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Given
    Johnson---Richards---Dunne---Warnock
    Diarra

Arteta
    Barry

Modric

Bentley*---Santa Cruz

Bentley plays on either wing depending on how he feels, pretty much a free role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Given

Richards
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Lescott
    Barry
    Bentley
    Young
    Arteta

Santa Cruz
    Berbatov

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Given

Johnson
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Barry

Arteta
    Cahill
    Kompany
    Young

Owen (C)
    Berbatov

There are so many options down the left (Tuncay, Milner, Downing, Petrov).
    I liked Kompany's first performance but I don't think you can put him in after one premiership game considering he did not do so well in Germany.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I liked Kompany's first performance but I don't think you can put him in after one premiership game considering he did not do so well in Germany.

Well, I want to play Barry at left back and there is a distinct paucity of excellent destroyer midfielders outside the top four who are athletically top class. I hear what you are saying but if he played like he did last week even half the time he would be deserving of selection to this sort of XI.

Well, I want to play Barry at left back and there is a distinct paucity of excellent destroyer midfielders outside the top four who are athletically top class. I hear what you are saying but if he played like he did last week even half the time he would be deserving of selection to this sort of XI.
    Agreed, if he plays that way for half the games this season he would certainly make my top 11, and thats including the top four.

• Advertisement

I actually think that the weakest part of all these teams is in the center of midfield. When you look at the top four, all of them have money players in that area of the park. Whereas, when you look outside the top four it is difficult to think of central midfielders that have shown consistently over the past few years that they could go in there and do a job at the very highest levels (and remember that Liverpool ultimately felt 18m was an overvaluation for the pick of the litter from last term).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hart

Richards
    Woodgate
    Lescott
    Barry

Kompany

Bentley
    Arteta
    Young

Elano

Yakubu

Yakubu is looking good early on and just shades Santa Cruz for me. His power and pace would be the perfect compliment to Elano's trickery and Arteta's vision.

The two wingers pick themselves, with Petrov as a back up to Young.

Joe Hart gets the nod in goal. I watch him every week and he just keeps getting better and better.

Agree with the lack of midfield enforcers. If Scott Parker was fully fit and on form then he would be a shoe in but at the moment I can't justify putting him in there. Pity Muntari left as he would have been ideal too. That just leaves Kompany. Hope I'm not cursing him!

I actually think that the weakest part of all these teams is in the center of midfield. When you look at the top four, all of them have money players in that area of the park. Whereas, when you look outside the top four it is difficult to think of central midfielders that have shown consistently over the past few years that they could go in there and do a job at the very highest levels (and remember that Liverpool ultimately felt 18m was an overvaluation for the pick of the litter from last term).
    I think Barry is worth it though, and I think there are a couple of decent midfielders outside the top four but I'd agree that its the key area where the top four are at a distinct advantage. Well there and Central Defense as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Given

Richards---Woodgate---Dunne

Barry---A Reid

Arteta
    Elano
    Petrov

Berbatov
    Santa Cruz----

Xavi6 wrote: »

Hart

Richards
    Woodgate
    Lescott
    Barry

Kompany

Bentley
    Arteta
    Young

Elano

Yakubu

Yakubu is looking good early on and just shades Santa Cruz for me. His power and pace would be the perfect compliment to Elano's trickery and Arteta's vision.

The two wingers pick themselves, with Petrov as a back up to Young.

Joe Hart gets the nod in goal. I watch him every week and he just keeps getting better and better.

Agree with the lack of midfield enforcers. If Scott Parker was fully fit and on form then he would be a shoe in but at the moment I can't justify putting him in there. Pity Muntari left as he would have been ideal too. That just leaves Kompany. Hope I'm not cursing him!
    Please tell me who is going to take advantage of all the magnificent crosses coming in from either side?

I think Barry is worth it though, and I think there are a couple of decent midfielders outside the top four but I'd agree that its the key area where the top four are at a distinct advantage. Well there and Central Defense as well.

Yes there is also a definite disparity with center backs also - but I could see the likes of Woodgate, Richards, Dunne, Laursen, Campbell and Huth upgrading Liverpool and Arsenal for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Please tell me who is going to take advantage of all the magnificent crosses coming in from either side?

Ehhhh the Yak. Just like he did for Everton on the opening day of the season against Blackburn.

Yes there is also a definite disparity with center backs also - but I could see the likes of Woodgate, Richards, Dunne, Laursen, Campbell and Huth upgrading Liverpool and Arsenal for sure.
    I think they would improve their strength in depth but do you really think that any of them could displace the current first choice players on either team?

I think they would improve their strength in depth but do you really think that any of them could displace the current first choice players on either team?

Carragher / Skrtel / Agger

Toure / Gallas

People may disagree with me - but I could see the likes of Dunne, Richards, Woodgate, Laursen, Campbell, Huth in the mix with the five names above, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Given

Richards----Woodgate----Huth
    Lescott

Tuncay
    Elano
    Diarra
    Downing

Alves
    Yakubu

-You'd swear I was a Middlesbrough fan

• Advertisement

Carragher / Skrtel / Agger

Toure / Gallas

People may disagree with me - but I could see the likes of Dunne, Richards, Woodgate, Laursen, Campbell, Huth in the mix with the five names above, yes.
    I would have Dunne, Woodgate and Richards over all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Given

Richards
    Dunne
    Woodgate
    Lescott

Petrov
    Elano
    Diarra
    Young

Berbatov
    Ashton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Given

L Young - Richards - Woodgate - Warnock

S. Reid --- Diarra --- Arteta

Bentley -- Berbatov -- A. Young

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

James

- Richards - Dunne - Lescott

Diarra - Barry

-- Arteta - Modric - Young

-- Santa Cruz - Berbatov

Diarra or Barry can drop back into the RB/LB positions to change to a 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't know why so many people are picking barry as left back. He can play there but anytime he does he's very average.

He's much better in the central medfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

matrim wrote: »
    I don't know why so many people are picking barry as left back. He can play there but anytime he does he's very average.

He's much better in the central medfield role.
    Agreed - similarly, doesn't Richards play all his games at CB for City rather than RB?
    LuckyLloyd wrote:
    there is a distinct paucity of excellent destroyer midfielders outside the top four who are athletically top class
    Xavi6 wrote:
    Agree with the lack of midfield enforcers.
    I'd stick Diarra in there no question - he looked class in his limited opportunities at Arsenal and looked good for Portsmouth anytime I saw him in the second half of last year.

If he hadn't left Arsenal, he'd be first choice now with Fabregas and he wouldn't look at all out of place - in fact, as an Arsenal fan, I wish we still had him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its a farce putting Kompany in tbh. one ****ing game he has played, against a ten man west ham :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

it's hilarious bias, that's what it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

This is a tough one!
    Here's the list I made before looking through everyone else's suggestions :)

Given
    Lescott Dunne Woodgate Gutiérrez
    Barry
    Diouf Tuncay Petrov
    Agbonlahor Berbatov

After seeing what other people, I'd probably consider swapping Diouf for Arteta. There's not a wealth of good defensive midfielders outside the top 4! Barry's more a CM, and I didn't want to pick Reid because I already have two Ireland players and didn't want to come across as biased ;)

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its a farce putting Kompany in tbh. one ****ing game he has played, against a ten man west ham :rolleyes:

I explained why I put him in. I guess I could have put Diarra in as noted above - but a "farce" it is not. Mr. Alan, you should discover the color Grey.

matrim wrote: »

Left back is also a position of weakness outside the top four. Lescott is a an extremely over rated player imo.

Left back is also a position of weakness outside the top four. Lescott is a an extremely over rated player imo.
    I don't agree with this at all. To me Lescott is right up there in the Premiership, behind only Evra, Clichy and Wayne Bridge. I don't like Barry there either, I'd put our own Stephen Warnock ahead of him and theres a couple of others as well.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Judging by your posts on the matter this may seem far fetched to you but football exists outside the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Lescott is a an extremely over rated player imo.
    Lescott is brilliant.

Judging by your posts on the matter this may seem far fetched to you but football exists outside the Premiership.
    His performances over the last year in Germany were not great by all accounts. I think he makes a fair point but right now, in another ten games if he were to continue playing as well he would certainly make my top 11 team and that includes the top four.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I agree, Barry at LB? Do you folks watch footie at all :eek:
    The man is a liability there.

Savman wrote: »
    I agree, Barry at LB? Do you folks watch footie at all :eek:
    The man is a liability there.

He looked a serious liability in center mid last Saturday tbf.

He looked a serious liability in center mid last Saturday tbf.
    Well at least he has more good than bad games in CM.

Balfa wrote: »
    Lescott is brilliant.
    I think Lescott's a good player but Fantasy Football points do not equal brilliant defender. Same for Martin Laursen - good players but overrated based on their goalscoring I think.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Same for Martin Laursen - good players but overrated based on their goalscoring I think.
    Couldn't disagree more. Laursen is a superb defender, underrated if anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

My top team outside of the top 4 would be.

Hart
    Johnson---Richards---Woodgate---Lescott
    Barry

Arteta
    Modric
    Young
    Downing
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Football manager doesnt count.

My understanding is that he failed to live up to his reputation at previous clubs.

Also worth noting the thread title, "your Top XI from the Prem"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Perhaps they've watched Kompany in Germany and disagree...

Savman wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. Laursen is a superb defender, underrated if anything.
    I'm not saying he's crap (and as a Villa fan, I'm sure you've watched him over 90 minutes plenty more times than I have so you're in a better place to judge) - it's more that Football Manager/Fantasy Football ratings (especially involving comparisons of numbers of direct assists) are just a pet hate of mine :mad: as they're not the full story. Maybe I should have said overrated by people who don't know enough to rate him (myself included - he seems good but I don't really know his game particularly well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

given

johnson---richards--dunne---lescott

bentley---palacios---barry---young

barbatov---santa cruz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I win!!!

Given

--Hutton---Woodgate---Dunne---Lescott-

--Bentley---Barry----Arteta
    Young--

Berbatov----Ashton

Subs: Friedel, Richards, Kompany, Elano, Modric, Yakubu, Agbonlahor.

Trilla wrote: »
    I win!!!

Given

--Hutton---Woodgate---Dunne---Lescott-

--Bentley---Barry----Arteta
    Young--

Berbatov----Ashton

Subs: Friedel, Richards, Kompany, Elano, Modric, Yakubu, Agbonlahor.

Mmmm. I think Hutton was settling in last year. With time, he may be the best player in his position in the league outside (or even inside) the top four but right now I think he is much more potential than the finished article. Glenn Johnson had a great year last year.

AND you have two awesome players up front but I'm not so sure they would form an awesome partnership. You won't have much pace and movement even if when they do get the ball down or get it to their head they will be dangerous.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I'm not saying he's crap (and as a Villa fan, I'm sure you've watched him over 90 minutes plenty more times than I have so you're in a better place to judge) - it's more that Football Manager/Fantasy Football ratings (especially involving comparisons of numbers of direct assists) are just a pet hate of mine :mad: as they're not the full story. Maybe I should have said overrated by people who don't know enough to rate him (myself included - he seems good but I don't really know his game particularly well).
    Whats all this fantasy football rubbish?

Lescott is a fantastic left back. I don't rate him at centre back by the way.

Whats all this fantasy football rubbish?

Lescott is a fantastic left back. I don't rate him at centre back by the way.

Well I would have classed him as a center back playing on the left side of the defense. He is very valuable at set pieces and he does an honest job in defense - but I don't think he is a particularly good contributor down the left hand side in open play. The fact that he:

- is in the England conversation;
    - rated by the media as one of the top players in his position in the premiership;

is, imo, more of a commentary on the depth of English players / players in the premiership at the position than his own ability playing the position.

Well I would have classed him as a center back playing on the left side of the defense. He is very valuable at set pieces and he does an honest job in defense - but I don't think he is a particularly good contributor down the left hand side in open play. The fact that he:

- is in the England conversation;
    - rated by the media as one of the top players in his position in the premiership;

is, imo, more of a commentary on the depth of English players / players in the premiership at the position than his own ability playing the position.
    Well I only see four ahead of him in the premiership as I said earlier and two of them are with one club.
    I'll tell you who is overhyped though and almost every team in the other thread has him on it, and thats Fernando Torres, don't get me wrong he is a class act but you'd think he was the best thing since the proverbial 'sliced pan' since he joined Liverpool.
    Edit to add that two of those I rate ahead of him are English.

• Advertisement
Advertisement