Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can someone please recommend a good front light!

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    i got a road bike
    i use it for commuting and fitness, i want a nice reasonable light front light, but one that emits plenty of light for me to see the road and to be seen!
    can someone please recommend a good light that meets this criteria.
    thank you very much,
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have a look at http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Bike_lights

For lighting that allows one to see, you need to spend a lot of money to get the brightness and the runtime on bicycle lights.

A better value alternative is to run with the newer LED torches. The newest LED torches are typically brighter than entry level bicycle oriented lighting systems (Hope, L&M, etc) You attach the torch to the bike with a simple velcro mount, or there are plenty of other mounting tools.

Easiest option is to get a AA battery torch, these should last a minimum of 2 hours at full brightness. There are other battery options, 18650, cr123a which can be more practical. Depends on what sort of duration you need.

Best quality torch is the Fenix L2D premium edition. 180 lumens on turbo. Around 2.5 hour runtime on 2500mah batteries
    Other good options are Ultrafire lights on dealextreme.com, considerably cheaper and still very good quality. I have two of these and haven't had any problems with them.

For comparison, the most recent Hope light, the Vision Single LED which is 240 lumens, 4AA batteries for 3 hours.

versus

a UltraFire WF-606A Cree Q5-WC which is 230 lumens, takes two batteries and will run for around 2 hours using the same rated batteries as the Hope takes (3000mah).

The Hope is 100 euro, the ultrafire is 23 dollars. So around 20 euro for the Ultrafire, including a bike mount.

With 18650 batteries, available at dealextreme, you can get brighter lights again for around the same runtime.

Relevant sites to read up on this are the bicycle light forum on mtbr.com
    and the bike light forum on candlepowerforums.com and reviews on the various torches on dealextreme.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Where'd you get the fenix and 2fish block from Verb? In from the US or was there a more local supplier in Europe? I found that shipping tends to be silly prices from the US relative to europe.
    K

kenmc wrote: »
    Where'd you get the fenix and 2fish block from Verb? In from the US or was there a more local supplier in Europe? I found that shipping tends to be silly prices from the US relative to europe.
    K

I bought the L2D from the fenix store. Your man seems to have setup a new site now, 4sevens
    https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

He sells the lockblocks too. Best off getting a three pack if you are buying them
    https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=92&products_id=274

Shipping is free/included in the cost of the torch.

There is also the UK based http://fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/fenix_l2d_q5.html
    which I've seen recommended, but haven't used.

I got the batteries and charger from dealextreme.com, shipping is also free from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i presume you had no hassles with customs etc?

kenmc wrote: »
    i presume you had no hassles with customs etc?

I didn't have a problem with the Fenix no. Oh yeah there is also a CPF8 discount code to get 8% off. Perhaps order in separate orders too for the light and block and it should just about come under the 45 euro limit?

The light is great fun. During the winter I cut through the park just opposite beaver road, at Clonskeagh over to the Dundrum road. I only do it because it's pitch black and I get to see how wonderful my light is. Sad eh. I was disappointed when the bright evenings arrived.

• Advertisement
Advertisement