Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does everyone HATE John Cena??

• 27-08-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭

i dont see what people's problem is...i like him, he's a great athlete, he can talk, he seems like a genuine guy...

why do people hate him i dont get it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I don't get the heat either, but I view it in the way some music fans see Pop Bands: He's squeaky-clean, aimed at the younger audience and is about as edgey as a mother would like him to be. Y'know? A bit sweet for some people, imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Question has been asked and answered several times.

Popular answers are "I'm not a nine year old chain gang kiddy" and "He's Hulk Hogan for the new milennium with the Superhero persona and limited moves"

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

I could see where alot of heat towards him was coming from even a year ago.However,it must be said that his in ring work has certainly improved.Also,whether you admit it or not,he certainly has great desire and passion for the business,and you have to give him credit for that.

Nowadays his promo's are about the only about him that really make me want to fast forward.I've learnt to deal with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I just think he's going through what Shawn Michaels and The Rock have experienced before (hard to believe Rock got such stick, oh how we didn't apprecaite what we had :D)

I believe most of the criticism he gets is unwarranted. He can produce good matches, is one of the best of the current crowd on the mic, has a huge fanbase and seems to genuinely love the business.

If he was turned heel I reckon most of his critics would soon be on his side again just like they were in late 2003 when he was super over with the adult demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

If he was turned heel I reckon most of his critics would soon be on his side again just like they were in late 2003 when he was super over with the adult demographic.

I agree but hes gotta learn to punch and sell injuries in the ring too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭mitchmeister

who cares if kids cheer for him, he may not be my favourite wrestler but i wouldnt boo him!

the way i see it when you go to shows, you boo the heels and cheer the face, not this im a smart and i boo the bad worker bull!

the way i see it when you go to shows, you boo the heels and cheer the face, not this im a smart and i boo the bad worker bull!

Then you're probably nine years old, with all due respect.
    Personally, when i go to a show, i cheer who i like, and i boo who i don't like.

My reasons are my own.
    VR!

who cares if kids cheer for him, he may not be my favourite wrestler but i wouldnt boo him!

Within reason. Very hard to get behind something that is blatently fake. Thats not just wrestlers but goes for storylines and segments too. Ive only seen Cena once in action. Didnt go as far to boo the guy but very reluctant to cheer him either. He is improving though and will be better(whenever he gets back from surgery)

I just think he's going through what Shawn Michaels and The Rock have experienced before (hard to believe Rock got such stick, oh how we didn't apprecaite what we had :D)

To be fair, when Rock got his first heel run in 1997, he deserved every boo that he got. I still don't know what WWE were thinking taking the IC title off HHH, who had developed great heel heat and experience, to Rocky, who had little experience and even smaller heat as a face, to the point where the fans got sick of it and started off the "Die Rocky Die" chants.

Of course, that in turn started off the "Rock" schtick, and the rest was history.
    VR!

To be fair, when Rock got his first heel run in 1997, he deserved every boo that he got. I still don't know what WWE were thinking taking the IC title off HHH, who had developed great heel heat and experience, to Rocky, who had little experience and even smaller heat as a face, to the point where the fans got sick of it and started off the "Die Rocky Die" chants.

Of course, that in turn started off the "Rock" schtick, and the rest was history.
    VR!

Yeah I agree with you on that. I was mainly referring to everything circa post WM 18 when everyone seemed to despise the guy. I must admit I was one of the them and I popped for Lesnar beating him clean at Summerslam! I then ended up loving his Hollywood Rock persona in '03. So very fickle. :)

• Advertisement

Personally I've never had time to 'hate' any wrestler. I do get very frustrated when random whores walk into WWE and they're only in employment because they're pumped with silicone, but aside from that, I've never been annoyed at any male wrestler, and certainly never 'hated' someone who works hard to entertain me.

If you don't like him, fair enough, but other people do. I like Kane. Not everyone is a big fan of him, but you don't have to be. He interests me, so that's good enough as far as I'm concerned.

I will admit that I think Cena has gotten a lot better as of late, although I don't ever think he was as bad as some people seem to pretend he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Cena for PRESEDENTE!!!

Yeah I agree with you on that. I was mainly referring to everything circa post WM 18 when everyone seemed to despise the guy.

It was pretty common knowledge that Rock was gonna be headed off to shoot The Rundown/Welcome To The Jungle after that, and the fans were getting sick of him taking half a year off TV for it, the chances are he would have been booed regardless as Hogan was just super-over at that point that an NWO breakoff was imminent... which leads me to...
    I must admit I was one of the them and I popped for Lesnar beating him clean at Summerslam! I then ended up loving his Hollywood Rock persona in '03. So very fickle. :)

You and the rest of the world. It was also the perfect setup for a heel comeback for Hogan in 03, and he made perfect fodder for Goldberg. I will give Rock credit for, he was able to get the fans back on his side before vanishing for the guts of another year. If you can dig out the Backlash 2003 DVD, check out the extra where Rock interacts with the crowd afterwards.

That said, his ring work was still rubbish!
    VR!

If you can dig out the Backlash 2003 DVD, check out the extra where Rock interacts with the crowd afterwards.

That's one of the few wrestling show DVDs I have. I love how he puts down the fat guy giving him the finger. :cool:

With regards to Cena I have often wondered how he truly feels about the reactions he gets from fans. He's put up with it for quite a while at this stage. Then again maybe he likes being a hero to the younger audience.

That's one of the few wrestling show DVDs I have. I love how he puts down the fat guy giving him the finger. :cool:

"The Rock gets more pie in one night than you do in a lifetime baby!" :D
    With regards to Cena I have often wondered how he truly feels about the reactions he gets from fans. He's put up with it for quite a while at this stage. Then again maybe he likes being a hero to the younger audience.

Well, it's not like he didn't know what he was getting into when he signed up to OVW, anyone who watches wrestling from a kid knows that one of two things are gonna happen. You're gonna get cheered and loved, or booed and hated.

It's that simple really.
    VR!

Looks like hes about to cry a lot of the time when he really gets booed.

I think he's just happy and appreciates what he has gotten so far.

Go to 2:10:

Shaneomac wrote: »
    Looks like hes about to cry a lot of the time when he really gets booed.

I'm still waiting for an over zealous Cena fan to go on the internet and do a Chris Crocker job.

"LEAVE CENA A-LONNNNE!!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

he thrives on the reaction negative or not, i was watching him very closely the night of WM22 and again the next night on raw in chicago when he got booed out of the building, it seemed to pump him up, another great example is his reaction during that rvd match at ONS2.

if i really hated a wrestler i would not bother wasting my breath booing the guy, i would take a toilet break while he is in action, i think cena knows this too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Then you're probably nine years old, with all due respect.
    Personally, when i go to a show, i cheer who i like, and i boo who i don't like.

My reasons are my own.
    VR!

Agreed, how the hell can you boo Cody Rhodes, I have no idea, best wrestler in the E at the moment.

People I cheer
    Cody Rhodes, Jeff + Matt, Randy Orton

People I boo
    JBL, Batista, Mr. Kennedy, Taker

Not cause they are faces or heels cause I think they are genuinly talented or not talented for the people I don't like. If you boo heels you have none of your own thoughts.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    he thrives on the reaction negative or not, i was watching him very closely the night of WM22 and again the next night on raw in chicago when he got booed out of the building, it seemed to pump him up, another great example is his reaction during that rvd match at ONS2.

if i really hated a wrestler i would not bother wasting my breath booing the guy, i would take a toilet break while he is in action, i think cena knows this too ;)

He does, like the way every Cena match has the 2 men standing in the middle of the ring trading punches and the crowd boos and cheers for whoever they like. Whether people are booing or cheering it shows that they care. Better than getting no reaction like Mr. Over-rated and you feel like a muppet as nobody is making any noise for your matches. Cena is a smart bloke and knows how to work a crowd and get them booing or cheering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hulkamania

Cena is, as current wrestling characters go, above average. That's not to say he's brilliant on an all-time scale, but what's out there now is very weak and, while Cena somewhat falls short in his in-ring performances, his microphone skills, entrances and all-round charisma - huge aspects for any WWE/sports entertainment performer - is, in my opinion, highly impressive.

I was at WM24 and his entrance was only second best to Undertaker. He's a born entertainer.

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    People I boo
    JBL, Batista, Mr. Kennedy, Taker

Not cause they are faces or heels cause I think they are genuinly talented or not talented for the people I don't like.

I don't mean to go all Rovert on you, but to say that the Undertaker (let alone the rest of your list) is 'genuinely not talented' is a very, very ludicrous statement to make.

The Undertaker is definitely stale and getting staler as the days go by, and whilst im not in love with the guy, i definitely think he is incredibly talented.

Even just the fact that he has a huge following almost two decades after debuting says a lot about the guy.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but are not entitled to your own facts! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I dunno where I stand on Cena to be honest.

I hate the whole super-hero gimmick, but when I was a kid I loved Hogan so I guess that's just a generation thing, kids love heroes and all that.

I don't like his character or his gimmick, but the guy has become very useful in the ring (anyone who can get a good match out of Khali has talent imo) is good on the mic and his dedication to the business and desire to compete stands for a lot for me (not to mention he is apparently the record-holding wish-granter for the make a wish foundation, which is amazing and definitely deserving of recognition).

So although I don't like his character, I do respect him. I don't hate him, I just don't want him to have another title reign any time soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i agree with the majority of what orestes has said! he had improved his in ring skills, and the make a wish work has to be respected, AND i dislike his gimmick, i think its gotten old tbh.

but wer we differ is that ive gotten bery bored of his mic skills, im not as impressed as most people seem to be, i think he is just repeating stuff he used to say, almost becomin a parody of himself......i wouold love to see him come back from injury with a different gimmick/character trait.....but i know it wont happen which is just poopy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I love him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

He is not as good on the mic as he thinks he is. For starters, there was that whole gay joke phase which was just painfully unfunny. Now he's moved into some sort of preecher mode, which is grand for big occassions, but should be used sparingly. Sometimes less is more, even in pro wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

He is not as good on the mic as he thinks he is.

I think in some ways he really is top notch on the mic. However when he cuts a promo, it never really resonates with me in the same way a great Piper, Foley, Flair etc.. promo does.

Again, it could be an an age thing in that Hogans typical promos wouldn't be something I look for on youtube these days but as a kid I loved it when he talked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

I will like J Cizzle when he applies an STF that looks like its actually applying some sort of pressure

Oh and when he stops trying to be The Rock with the mic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Cena has improved greatly in the ring over the years and is solid on the mic.

His character is stale and he desperately needs a heel turn, but that won't happen as kids love him and he sells truck loads of merchandise.

I have no problem with him and he has put on some very good matches against limited opposition in the past few years.

His match with RVD at ONS2 was brilliant too. He worked the crowd like a veteran that night.

His first PPV match against Jericho for proof of just how far his ring work has come:

Am i the only one who thinks Cena was almost better wrestling wise when he debuted?

EdK wrote: »
    Am i the only one who thinks Cena was almost better wrestling wise when he debuted?

What are you basing this on?

In that match I posted he did lots of little things wrong that he'd never do now.

The best in ring worker isn't the guy who does the most moves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I havent watched the video but have seen it before at time I had the same opinion as you do. I remember thinking he has dumbed down his style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

His match with RVD at ONS2 was brilliant too. He worked the crowd like a veteran that night.

That was the night he won me over. He ****ing LOVED the hot reception he got that night and played up to the crowd brilliantly. For whoever said that earlier in the thread about "the look on Cena's face when he gets booed," go watch that match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I think everybody hates John Cena so much because they're afraid to admit they like him cos "itz not cool 2 like Cena" or whatever. I think he's brilliant. Obviously he's not the best wrestler ever but there's so much more to it than in-ring work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

flahavaj wrote: »
    That was the night he won me over. He ****ing LOVED the hot reception he got that night and played up to the crowd brilliantly. For whoever said that earlier in the thread about "the look on Cena's face when he gets booed," go watch that match.

Meltzer mentioned this week somewhere that he can't remember a top face who is so accepting of people who boo him. He mentioned how Shawn Michaels responded to the same thing on house shows back in the day by getting on the mic and refusing to wrestle. I think it really got to Warrior too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Cena has always come off as a genuinely nice guy on everything I've seen him on, whether in character or out of it and he must have accepted by now that without a heel turn he'll always be booed after jobbing so much on PPV. The original reason I hated Cena wasn't because he was crap in the ring (always thought he was average before he showed such an improvement) or that his gimmick was really terrible (it certainly wasn't the worst) it was that he was everywhere and was seemingly stuffed down our throats. That's not happening now so I have no problem with him and the last time they did force us to accept him was actually kind of great (Royal Rumble)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Fozzy wrote: »
    Meltzer mentioned this week somewhere that he can't remember a top face who is so accepting of people who boo him. He mentioned how Shawn Michaels responded to the same thing on house shows back in the day by getting on the mic and refusing to wrestle. I think it really got to Warrior too

A funny thing in the Observer when running down the Madison Square Garden show, where Cena got a strong majority positive reaction. Dave said if there was television cameras there Cena would have been booed out of the building. What does that tell you?

What are you basing this on?

In that match I posted he did lots of little things wrong that he'd never do now.

The best in ring worker isn't the guy who does the most moves.

Basing it on my memory of him at the time he had a good debut against KA where i was thinking he could be something but as Rovert said I think he may have dumbed it down

Basing it on my memory of him at the time he had a good debut against KA where i was thinking he could be something but as Rovert said I think he may have dumbed it down

Is it just because he did more varied moves back then though?

The character he plays now is a brawler, not a rookie trying to make an impression.

Austin used to do lots of technical moves, but "dumbed it down" and became a huge star because his character changed.

He's a much better worker now and if he was allowed could still do everything he did back then, but most likely better now.

• Advertisement

He lost the ruthless aggression thats been his problem all along, finally I see it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I think it is his square face that everyone hates and that army salute he was doing or still does ( don't know) was /is silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rovert wrote: »
    A funny thing in the Observer when running down the Madison Square Garden show, where Cena got a strong majority positive reaction. Dave said if there was television cameras there Cena would have been booed out of the building. What does that tell you?

yeah i have read reports from people who were at that show and cena and batista received tremendous reactions by all accounts.
    Is it just because he did more varied moves back then though?

The character he plays now is a brawler, not a rookie trying to make an impression.

Austin used to do lots of technical moves, but "dumbed it down" and became a huge star because his character changed.

He's a much better worker now and if he was allowed could still do everything he did back then, but most likely better now.

cenas style was much quicker and more stiff around 2003, go watch his match with lesnar from that year and it really highlights this. today he is over 30 so will have slowed down a bit and his style is a bit more conservative (but that has probably more to do with those in the back telling him to dumb it down). in 2007 the quality of matches he put on especially on ppv was outstanding for someone of his limited technical ability, imagine him with proper opponents like danielson or a peak angle instead of lashley, umaga and khali last year................:P

Advertisement