Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming and Forestry charter

Options
  • 27-08-2008 1:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭

I was wondering is there a reason there's no charter in farming and forestry, I know a lot might not see the need but I think there should be some rules.

In a current thread about badgers there's a lot of talk about illegally killing them, I don't think this would be let go on in other forums but maybe I'm wrong.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Well spotted, badger baiting is illegal in this country I believe. I also have a friend that feels very strongly about it. He loves badgers.

No, not Angry Badger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think that smccarrick just didn't get around to it, I know he is offline for a while at the current time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Mirror wrote: »
    Well spotted, badger baiting is illegal in this country I believe.

Yes badgers are a protected species and it is highly illegal to kill them unless it is part of a sanctioned cull.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gerky wrote: »
    I was wondering is there a reason there's no charter in farming and forestry, I know a lot might not see the need but I think there should be some rules.

Did you contact the mod of that forum to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did someone say Badger?

I prefer Mushrooms

Cabaal wrote: »
    I prefer Mushrooms
    Don't forget the snake.

/unzips and does the helicopter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Did you contact the mod of that forum to ask?

No I thought it would be more of a feedback topic but I'm after dropping smccarrick a pm for when they get back.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No I thought it would be more of a feedback topic.

Not really.
    It's down to the Mod of a forum to decide if they need a charter or not. Most of us elect to have one. It's especially advisable if the forum is busy.

I could be wrong, but the forestry and farming doesn't strike me as a forum that would have a large percentage of muppets, perhaps smccarrick hasn't felt the need for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Badgers? We don' neeeed no stinkin' badgers!;)

And yes badger baiting is illegal in this country not to mention bloody cruel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Badgers? We don' neeeed no stinkin' badgers!;)

:D I think I'll go buy that from the HMV bargain bin later.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

i knew a kid named badger. lived surrounded by farmland too. im concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Well spotted, badger baiting is illegal in this country I believe.

Eh, badger baiting is a very, very different thing to what was being discussed on that thread.

nesf wrote: »
    Eh, badger baiting is a very, very different thing to what was being discussed on that thread.
    Well I assumed. Doesn't really change anything though does it? :rolleyes:

Well I assumed. Doesn't really change anything though does it? :rolleyes:

Badger baiting is a lot crueller than culling badgers or even gassing them. Killing badgers is one thing, trapping them and then throwing them into an enclosure with a bunch of terriers is quite another.

nesf wrote: »
    Badger baiting is a lot crueller than culling badgers or even gassing them. Killing badgers is one thing, trapping them and then throwing them into an enclosure with a bunch of terriers is quite another.
    I agree, I just meant the illegality still stands, we're best not turning this thread into a moral debate on badger killing in any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In a current thread about badgers there's a lot of talk about illegally killing them, I don't think this would be let go on in other forums but maybe I'm wrong.

First of all- the thread in question here is actually an overflow from the nature and birdwatching forum here. The person who initiated the thread posed what is a genuine question for farmers- and obviously a major bugbear for environmentalists.

There was a single instance in the thread (of 17 posts thus far) which detailed what some farmers in the area of the poster (and not the poster themselves) do. The person who posted the common method of (illegally) culling badgers (by gassing them), stated that their wife is an employee in the Department of Agriculture, and any culling they themselves have carried out have been done legally under permit from the Department. While some people may be appalled by the illegal method of killing badgers, unfortunately it is a simple fact of life, and is something that regularly happens. While the topic and information such as this may be abhorred by many- it is a common occurrence in the farming community- and I have no problem or difficulty with it being discussed in the Farming and Forestry forum (of course I do not condone it personally, and will remove any comments which I consider to be advising illegal activities (such as the infamous dyed diesel thread)).

Obviously when an issue such as badger culling comes up- you are going to get vehemently opposing points of view. As pointed out by several posters- badger baiting (and entirely different matter) is illegal fullstop. Farmers however do regularly get permits from the Department for legal culls- which are done in a humane manner- unlike the treatment the creatures get at the hand of badger baiters.......

If people wish to discuss badgers in general, and the periodic legal culling of badgers- while it may be distasteful to many- it is indeed reflective of common farming practice and as such is quite at home in the farming and forestry forum.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

Ps- Yes, I am aware of the lack of a formal forum charter in F&F. It hasn't hitherto been considered necessary (as the vast majority of those who frequent the forum are either farmers or employed in the Agricultural/Food industry). I am currently in the process of rectifying the lack of a formal charter and anticipate having one in the next day or two.

I agree, I just meant the illegality still stands, we're best not turning this thread into a moral debate on badger killing in any form.

You can legally cull badgers though, you just need to go through the right channels. Badger baiting is a very different thing to controlling the population of badgers around farms.

The thing with badger baiting is that mentioning it in a thread about culling is going to get people's backs up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The lack of a Forum Charter has been rectified here.
    If anyone has any reasonable suggestions for modifications or additions to the charter- please feel free to PM me.

Regards,

SMcCarrick

• Advertisement
Advertisement