Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

audi dealer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

sweet car.... great price :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The only good thing about that deal is that you'd have a warranty.. 20k for an A3 non-quattro, non-sport, with 60k miles and it's 05. OP the best way you'll get a good deal and a good car is if you import, I'll give you some stats of a similar model. Now I wouldn't call the mileage high, but for that price it's alot!

05 Audi A3 2.0TDI Sport 140BHP
    OSP: €17107
    VRT: €3421 (approx)

Obviously VRT isn't added onto the OSP (Open Market Selling Price). They're completely seperate figures

Now then, just had a quick look at the English market, just for illustration purposes I found this one media?id=747953645 same as the one you're looking at, pretty much same spec also. One big difference, price.

So trade price is £7,495 which is €9400, add on VRT and we have €12,800 add on road tax and lets say ferry fare, travelling to collect car etc. so €500 total for arguments sake. You now have this car on the road on Irish plates for €13,300.

Problems: Something happens to be wrong with the car, you don't have a warranty, even though dealers in the UK will probably take a small amount of the car because you're exporting. I would recommend a hpi check and a visit to a local mechanic. English cars have higher mileage, due to long distances travelled on a motorway (not a huge deal for this 2.0TDI)

Now, you have just saved yourself roughly €6,000 for putting a bit of work into it. I would normally offer to travel for you etc. but personal circumstances mean I won't be importing anything for 6-7 months :(

Hope this helps!

minxie1 wrote: »
    sweet car.... great price :D

Don't you go buying a car now ya hear me! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tonytack

thanks for replies guys, anyone know or had any dealings with the lads setting the car, barclays-couple of years ago got stung by cowboy dealers in meath and dont want to experience this again

tonytack wrote: »
    thanks for replies guys, anyone know or had any dealings with the lads setting the car, barclays-couple of years ago got stung by cowboy dealers in meath and dont want to experience this again

Did you read my first post? These guys are as good as cowboys, they're trying to sell you a bog standard A3 for 20 grand. Stay well clear of this, have a look for someone who'd either be willing to import for you or who will get you one for under 15k..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone got any advice regarding this car?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.8-T/1173188/

Thank you in advance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,359 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dave, what site did you use to find that audi?
    9400 for an 05 is pretty good.
    I was thinking (still am) of an A3, cost is a little more restricted than above, i'd be looking at an '02 i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Dave147 wrote: »
    Did you read my first post?

Not everyone is interested in taking a gamble on a cheap import. Some of us like to deal with a garage we can go back to with issues. Some of us prefer to trade in our cars, rather than park them on the Naas road with a foolscap For Sale notice taped in the window for a year.

You may well say we could save a few pounds by following your route, but I'm not an amateur motor trader, and I don't have any ambitions to be one: I have a real job.

hi zube,
    think dave was just trying to help - pros and cons to most things in life

does not seem to be any replies about this dealer in a negative light-might go out to ballymount to have a look see, and maybe haggle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

does not seem to be any replies about this dealer in a negative light-might go out to ballymount to have a look see, and maybe haggle

Car is way too expensive. Haggle very very hard indeed.

Zube wrote: »
    Not everyone is interested in taking a gamble on a cheap import. Some of us like to deal with a garage we can go back to with issues. Some of us prefer to trade in our cars, rather than park them on the Naas road with a foolscap For Sale notice taped in the window for a year.

You may well say we could save a few pounds by following your route, but I'm not an amateur motor trader, and I don't have any ambitions to be one: I have a real job.

I don't understand why you even posted here, if you have a good read at my posts I highlighted importing as an 'option' a very viable one, especially when buying trade over there. Now if this option doesn't suit
    have a look for someone who'd either be willing to import for you or who will get you one for under 15k..
    maybe I should have clarified 'someone' could include a dealer.

Now, what exactly do you mean by cheap import? It's a bit of an ambiguous statement, are you insinuating that because the car is cheap it's somehow of a lesser standard. Well speaking from an amateur motor trader's point of view who has bought a BMW 320i, 2 '00 Audi A6 1.8T Quattro's, 1 '03 Audi A6 1.8T Quattro Avant, 1 04 VW Polo 1.2, and 2 Audi A4 1.9TDI Quattro's. All these cars were substantially cheaper than buying in Ireland nevermind the fact they're next to impossible to get.. Out of each one, I've had a tiny bit of trouble with one..

So in conclusion, if you have a car and don't want to sell it, find a dealer who will take the car off you in trade for a reasonable price. The price of the car he enquired about was NOT reasonable, I come here to help people and give another option, don't need petty sarcastic comments from you Zube.

And by the way, my real job allows me to do this as a hobby, a very fulfilling one.

Mellor wrote: »
    Dave, what site did you use to find that audi?
    9400 for an 05 is pretty good.
    I was thinking (still am) of an A3, cost is a little more restricted than above, i'd be looking at an '02 i think

Hey Mellor, sorry got a bit carried away there. I would normally use www.autotrader.co.uk (need a postcode WA12 0HE should do) - www.pistonheads.com Classifieds, www.ebay.co.uk - www.audifans.net Classifieds - www.audi-sport.net Classifieds.

I would normally buy the Irish autotrader every Thursday aswell because there is a vast collection of cars in the North that are missing online, most of these are diesel which would be my preference usually. Any help you want at all don't hesitate to pm. I may not be professional but I can give you some advice! :)

Heroditas wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice regarding this car?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/1.8-T/1173188/

Thank you in advance. :)

Yeah she's not bad, I'd want to be sure the timebelt has been done. The 1.8T Sport is 180BHP standard but this one is FWD unfortunately, if you could get that price down to 13k or even a little below it would be a good enough deal imo. As long as it was taxed, nct'ed and there was no rattles etc. I'll have a look around see if there's anything better in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I don't understand why you even posted here,

The OP wants to know about a particular dealer, and you (without knowing anything at all about them) are calling them cowboys because it's cheaper to import. We know it's cheaper. You told us already. That doesn't mean the dealer is a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Any problem he has with the car, he could fix with the SIX GRAND he just saved.

I would agree with you for the sake of 1000-1500 but when there's six thousand to be saved, it makes no sense to buy here.

Yeah she's not bad, I'd want to be sure the timebelt has been done. The 1.8T Sport is 180BHP standard but this one is FWD unfortunately, if you could get that price down to 13k or even a little below it would be a good enough deal imo. As long as it was taxed, nct'ed and there was no rattles etc. I'll have a look around see if there's anything better in Ireland.

Thanks a million Dave, much appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Hi Folks,
    Was looking at below car - does anyone know if its a good deal? Also has anyone bought a car from these guys before?
    http://www.barclaymotors.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=240228

If you dont have a trade-in, buy in the UK, but get it checked over, HPI, AA inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

The OP wants to know about a particular dealer, and you (without knowing anything at all about them) are calling them cowboys because it's cheaper to import. We know it's cheaper. You told us already. That doesn't mean the dealer is a cowboy.

20k for a poverty spec A3 with 60k on it is daylight robbery. Also the new VRT system was practically made for cars like these so why not take advantage of it. 20k will get you a '05 Golf GTi with leather ffs!

Also the op could travel to the north, like Dave said, and get whatever warranty was going. Also how many post have we here about dealers not fulfilling their warranty obligations, i'd rather get an AA report on a car and pay for any subsequent repairs myself out of the big bag of money I had saved.

Oh dear, I think it was clear to everyone else I was comparing. I said "they are as good as" I never stated they were, find the quote where I flat out quote that and I'll retract, please read between the lines - that is the price you would get from a cowboy of a dealer. My point was 20k for that particular Audi A3 is scandalous, maybe you'd like to see a fellow boardsie ripped off, but I certainly don't. So now that you're argument with me is null and void why not go back to your real job.

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Thanks a million Dave, much appreciated. :)

No prob, the car you showed me was a 1.8T Sport, is there a specific reason you want that? I'm asking because with 180BHP you have alot of power, probably two much for a FWD, but if you want power and economy I would recommend the 1.9TDI 130BHP, they're nippy as is, but get a remap you're going to see 170BHP and 25-30% torque increase. PM me if you like with a budget, year, all preferences etc. and I'll have a look, I'm going to be online all day tomorrow so it's no problem.

@Mellor, pm me the same if you like, i.e. Diesel or Petrol? Performance, comfort etc. It'll keep me busy tomorrow :)

*I'm in America, hence 'tomorrow'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

:eek:

€6000 worth of mats and a keyring tbh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

You are either a dealer or ill-informed, probably the former to come out with a post like that.
    Anyone who would pay that money for a car when there are higher spec'd cars out there for 3,4,5 or 6 grand less would be a little foolish, but hey if you have loads of money to waste then fair enough, since the rest of us dont have "real jobs" then, we will continue to import our high spec, better cared for and money saving cars. :rolleyes:

In the meantime either reply to the OP or stop nit picking on people posts, its not very helpful.

OP - That is a nice car, as the lads said, it depends on your situation, if you have a trade-in and dont feel confident to sell it then you will buy "local", but shop around BIG time, this market is flooded with cars so fight hard for a bargain.

If you dont, then really do consider the option of buying up North or mainland UK. You can see for yourself the potential savings. Pay for the HPI check, get a full RAC or AA check done.

Good luck with it anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭victor1

overpriced - as for dealer, you can definitely do better-stear away to better one

hey ,
    thanks for all the replies, did not go with it in the end, lads were complete boyo's!!!

I went with the 1.8T in the link I posted. Very happy with it so far!
    Getting about 460 miles to a full tank - mix of city and open road driving.
    Still a lingering smell of cigarettes in it though. Think I'll give it another dose of Febreeze tonight.
    NCT'd and timing belt had been changed before it came my way. Absolutely no rattles whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 seanpaul

hi sent you a private message with a good dealer for Audi

Advertisement