Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Testing 3G speeds on symbian

• 27-08-2008 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,
    The small village where i live has just got upgraded to 3g coverage from vodafone ... nice. But to be honest i have not noticed much improvement in speeds compared to gprs. Is there any application for the n95 that tests your downloads speed ?
    cheers,
    Jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

DSL Reports is what most people use.
    Don't use Opera Mini though cos it skews the results though. Use the native browser on yer phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

long_b wrote: »

that's right ;) opera have more than once stated publicly that o.m. performs at more or less the same speed wether you use 3g or not. So, you wouldn't feel any difference browsing via o.m... And though file downloads using Nokia's "safari" browser are certainly faster, I find surprisingly little difference between page-loading speeds using 3g or gprs... (e61 and n95)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You are best to just go to ftp.heanet.ie and download a known filesize, and time the download yourself. Give you a better idea of sped rather than just the burst download rate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Download this file. *warning I'm assuming you have a data plan as this is 50MB*

Time how long it takes.

Search google with this string where xx is the time it takes.

50MB / xx sec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭foobar

long_b wrote: »
    DSL Reports is what most people use.
    Don't use Opera Mini though cos it skews the results though. Use the native browser on yer phone.

Cool. I rang the test on a 1 Meg file and the results was 297kbits/sec. This value seems pretty good .. lot faster the gprs and dail up. Kinda strange that i havent noticed a big improvement when browsing .

• Advertisement
Advertisement