Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity night for david keohane

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi mods - if this you regard this as spam please delete

anyway as some of you are aware an Irish guy was bashed in coogee a while ago and is in a critical condition
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/08/26/2346709.htm?site=local
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/family-of-bash-victim-joins-search-for-reasons/2008/08/16/1218307309506.html
    The Mercantile Hotel is holding a Benefit Night

FOR
    DAVID KEOHANE
    Who was brutally bashed in Coogee on the 9th August and is in a critical condition in The Prince of Wales Hospital
    Tuesday 2nd September 2008
    7pm till late
    Music on the night will include: Shaylee Wilde, Damien Leith, Peter Byrne & Blackwater

Ticket Only Night: $20
    Tickets are available through the Mercantile Hotel.
    For information contact Paul on 92473570

Raffles, Spot Prizes & Auction To Be Held On The Night
    All proceeds will go to David Keohane Trust Account

I hope to be there, as after hearing about this, my heart goes out to the family.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Ya I'll be there too. Hopefully the poor lad will make a recovery. This could have happened to anyone, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I hope they catch the cowards who did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Yeah going to be there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

hussey

Have added details of this onto our site .

Hope the Benefit Night goes well n DAVID gets well soon .

Does anybody know if there is an account or fund set up so that people can donate into from back home? A few of my family and friends have said they would contribute. I have searched but found nothing. If there is nothing of the sort I can contribute on their behalf I suppose. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Does anybody know if there is an account or fund set up so that people can donate into from back home? A few of my family and friends have said they would contribute. I have searched but found nothing. If there is nothing of the sort I can contribute on their behalf I suppose. Cheers.

ring the mercantile hotel in the rocks, they might be able to get you in contact with someone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dellen eire

hi there im davids brother-in-law. an account is being set up at the moment and we should have details during the week, will get back to you, we are also having a benifit night in cork for david.
    thanks for your support.

A good night indeed. At one stage there was as big a crowd in the Mercantile as I have ever seen, even bigger than Paddy's day!

I thought Damien Leith did a good job of Hallalujah, it put the night into perspective I feel.

I'm dying today though, eating an Australian version of the breakfast roll with Kangaroo sausages!

Yeah great turnout. There should be a decent amount raised. $40K maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dellen eire

hi there,
    the david keohane recovery fund has been set up in ireland now.
    people here can make donations to
    The David Keohane Recovery Fund,
    Ulster Bank,
    sort code 98-54-88
    Acc no - 10152307

Thanks for all your help and support
    Derek.

hi there,
    Ulster Bank,
    sort code 98-54-88
    Acc no - 10152307

Derek.

Cheers for that. I will pass this on.

• Advertisement

hi there,
    Ulster Bank,
    sort code 98-54-88
    Acc no - 10152307

Derek.

and this is confirmed by the Irish Times too
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0904/1220372097483.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jenster08

Is the recovery fund in Australia still open, as I would like to make a donation to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just came across this guys for anyone that is interested .

Bashing suspects on film

islander_bashing_suspects_caught_on_film.jpg

POLICE have identified two young men as suspects in the savage bashing and robbery of Irishman David Keohane a fortnight ago.

Read More.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 corkassociation

hey all,
    im the secretary of the cork association of nsw and we have organised a fundraiser for david on the 28th of sept at 2.30 pm,
    The illinois hotel,five dock.
    plenty of music and food,
    tickets at door $20

the cork association will endevor to raise the remaining $15,000 it cost to send david home.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

Good to see they have got someone for this:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/irish-backpacker-bashing-arrest/2008/10/01/1222651172347.html

...and hopefully there will be an improvement in Dave's condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheDude2008

pure scumbag death penalty would be too good for him, and suprise suprise he is from bankstown :rolleyes::rolleyes: i wonder what nationality he is, im guessing a country that begins with a L

hey guys
    just to let you know that we raised $15,000 for david at the illinois function,
    we spoke with david dad during the week and they are so delighted that someone was caught for it.
    hopefully they`ll find the other guy and give the family some justice.

Any idea how much was raised at the original function?

i believe inital function raised 42,000 so both functions combined covered the cost of flying him home.

Glad to hear that.

• Advertisement

Just an update
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/coogee-bashing-19yearold-sought/2008/10/17/1223750276343.html

Police arrested a 3rd man, and seek a 4th, good to see police arrested people for "hindering police and concealing a serious offence." ... let's hope they catch these thugs

Just another update on this:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/defendant-admits-bashing-student-20090630-d3ti.html

Anyone know how Dave is doing now? I heard he woke from the coma a couple of months back but didn't hear any more. I realise he will probably never fully recover but I hope he his doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

yes that is very good news if true - thanks for the reply and hopefully he will continue to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭SouthKerry

Look at the picture of the thug in the paper, wudnt u love to have him running around the place. Oh and look another one of the attackers was from Bankstown, oh the joys of Multiculturlism.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/attackers-wanted-to-roll-tourist-20100315-q7ek.html
    A jury has retired to decide whether Thomas Isaako intended to kill an Irish tourist when he bashed and robbed him in a Sydney street.

David Keohane, 29, was left for dead in a quiet street in the eastern beachside suburb of Coogee after being attacked by Mr Isaako in the early hours of August 9, 2008, the Downing Centre District Court was told.

Mr Isaako, 21, of Bankstown, told police that, after he had been drinking at the Coogee Bay Hotel, a companion suggested they "roll" someone, which he said meant "bash someone and take their stuff".

Mr Keohane was picked because he was the only person the pair could see in the street, he said.

Mr Isaako said that, after hitting Mr Keohane and seeing him fall to the ground, he punched him four more times before telling his companion to stop hitting him.

Mr Keohane's whole face was fractured in the attack and doctors said he was lucky to survive.

But Mr Isaako says he did not intend to kill Mr Keohane.

He has pleaded not guilty to attempted murder, but guilty to robbery in company and inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Judge Ronald Solomon summed up the evidence to the jury on today before they retired at lunchtime to begin their deliberations.

"You must not be swamped by the natural sympathy we all feel for David Keohane and his family," the judge said as he sent them out.

Am absolutely outraged after reading this. What the hell do the jury have to debate in this case? Not only should the attacker get life but that judge should step down after this. "Natural sympathy", what should the jury be swamped with?? Better leave it at that before I say too much:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/attackers-wanted-to-roll-tourist-20100315-q7ek.html

Am absolutely outraged after reading this. What the hell do the jury have to debate in this case? Not only should the attacker get life but that judge should step down after this. "Natural sympathy", what should the jury be swamped with?? Better leave it at that before I say too much:mad::mad:
    Better leave it at that before you stay something else stupid.

Emotions aren't relevant in a case like this. It's terrible what happened, it really is. and I also hope he gets attempted murder, but they have to decide if they think he meant to kill him, or beat him up. If somebody was to let emotions get involved, basically saying they don't think he meant it but will go for attempted murder because of the family, then the whole case could fall apart. Much worse situation for everyone who wants to see justice.

Mellor wrote: »
    Better leave it at that before you stay something else stupid.

Emotions aren't relevant in a case like this. It's terrible what happened, it really is. and I also hope he gets attempted murder, but they have to decide if they think he meant to kill him, or beat him up. If somebody was to let emotions get involved, basically saying they don't think he meant it but will go for attempted murder because of the family, then the whole case could fall apart. Much worse situation for everyone who wants to see justice.

Do you make the calls on what should be labelled stupid?

Anyway, I think (that's my opinion there Mellor) this is a travesty of justice, maybe the two lads didn't set out to murder anybody when they were planning to "roll" someone but when the actual attack took place they hit him repeatedly. When you hit someone in the head repeatedly, you intend to seriously injure/and or kill them. He fractured every bone in his face, in my view that is attempted murder but I wasn't in the jury.

I am not being biased with my opinion, It doesn't matter where the lad was from. It is common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Play nice boys - less of the stupid labelling please.

I know it may look like the judge is being hard hearted but really, the law is separate from emotion. Judges very often give similar advice in cases like this to stop the jury (who are lay people with no knowledge of the law) going in bull headed saying "rah rah rah you murderer you should fry". Regardless of what kind of scunbag the person is the law needs to be applied fairly to every case and the judge needs to make sure that this happens.

Advertisement