Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity night for david keohane

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Do you make the calls on what should be labelled stupid?

Anyway, I think (that's my opinion there Mellor) this is a travesty of justice, maybe the two lads didn't set out to murder anybody when they were planning to "roll" someone but when the actual attack took place they hit him repeatedly. When you hit someone in the head repeatedly, you intend to seriously injure/and or kill them. He fractured every bone in his face, in my view that is attempted murder but I wasn't in the jury.

I am not being biased with my opinion, It doesn't matter where the lad was from. It is common sense.

Nail on the head.....throw away the key if you ask me, scum like that don't deserve to breathe the same air as the rest of us :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you aware of the case at all? You do know that he has already been convicted of GBH.
    Do you make the calls on what should be labelled stupid?
    Calling for the judge to step down was pretty stupid imo.
    Anyway, I think (that's my opinion there Mellor) this is a travesty of justice, maybe the two lads didn't set out to murder anybody when they were planning to "roll" someone but when the actual attack took place they hit him repeatedly. When you hit someone in the head repeatedly, you intend to seriously injure/and or kill them. He fractured every bone in his face, in my view that is attempted murder but I wasn't in the jury.

That sentence alone would be enough for reasonable doubt and is irrelevant to my point anyway. Anyway, I never said it wasn't attempted murder, I said your comments about the judge were stupid.
    The jury had to decide if they intended to kill him, or if they they intended to beat him severely, and almost killed him. The difference between the two is tiny. But its has a big impact. the judge was simply reminding them to do so on the evidence. I honestly don't see how you got so out of shape about this.

Personally, I do think they intended to kill him (or at least didn't care less either way), and I don't believe the number blows the guy said were given. The steel bar likely came into too. I think it should of been attempted murder. It's a poor result, even more so considering the other guy is still not arrested.

watna wrote: »
    Play nice boys - less of the stupid labelling please.

I know it may look like the judge is being hard hearted but really, the law is separate from emotion. Judges very often give similar advice in cases like this to stop the jury (who are lay people with no knowledge of the law) going in bull headed saying "rah rah rah you murderer you should fry". Regardless of what kind of scunbag the person is the law needs to be applied fairly to every case and the judge needs to make sure that this happens.
    Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor is correct, the judge asked the jury to leave emotions behind and convict based on the laws. He shouldn't be stepped down because he told them what the law states.

Personally I think it was attempted murder, as when you keep hitting someone repeatedly, until every bone in their face is smashed, you are intending to murder him.

***EDIT
    http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/ca190082/s18.html
    states
    (a) Murder shall be taken to have been committed where the act of the accused, or thing by him or her omitted to be done, causing the death charged, was done or omitted with reckless indifference to human life, or with intent to kill or inflict grievous bodily harm upon some person, or done in an attempt to commit, or during or immediately after the commission, by the accused, or some accomplice with him or her, of a crime punishable by imprisonment for life or for 25 years.

(b) Every other punishable homicide shall be taken to be manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Ah now, it was a bit tongue in cheek asking for the judge to step down. The blood was boiling after reading the article.

Anyway, hope David and the family are all well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I hadn't heard about this story until a few days ago but isn't it utterly heart-breaking? The viciousness and the lack of respect for human life is terrifying. In 12 hours time me or you could be in the same situation just by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I've searched the net but I can't find any information on David's current condition or his prognosis other than he'll never be the same again. Does anyone have any info?

He was shown on the news last night, assuming it was recent. He is still in a pretty bad way. Probably bed ridden most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Good to see the C**t that attacked David will serve at least 14 years. Just heard it on the radio.

Almost two years after a savage assault and robbery left Irishman David Keohane with severe brain damage, a Sydney man has been sentenced to jail for the attack.

Thomas Isaako, 21, from Bankstown was sentenced to serve at least 14 years in prison for the attack on Mr Keohane on August 9, 2008, and that of another man nine days later.

Mr Keohane, a flooring contractor who was living and working in Sydney, was punched in the head about 14 times after he made his way home from the pub at about 2am, Judge Ronald Soloman recounted on Wednesday.

"The injuries sustained by the victim can only be described as horrendous and have had (serious) consequences for him and his family," Judge Soloman said during Wednesday's sentencing at Downing Centre District Court.

"The injuries suffered by the victim are more serious than almost any case of robbery.

"The savage attack in a matter of moments tragically changed the course of the victim's life from that of a successful, independent young man to that of a dependent person confined to a wheelchair."

The court had previously heard expert medical evidence that Mr Keohane, who remained unconscious for 218 days after the attack, needed 24-hour supervision and would be dependent on anti-convulsive medication for the foreseeable future.

He suffered multiple head injuries and facial fractures during the attack which caused brain damage, the court was told.

In March, Isaako was acquitted of an attempted murder charge.

He had pleaded guilty to robbery in company and inflicting grievous bodily harm on Mr Keohane.

The court heard that on the night of the attack, Isaako had consumed a large quantity of alcohol and was under the influence of crystal methamphetamine when he and another man decided to "roll" someone.

Police are still searching for the second man, named as New Zealander Kane Desmond Tupuolamaoui.

With time already spent in custody, Isaako will be eligible for release from prison on parole on September 15, 2022.

His full jail term on both charges lasts until September 15, 2027.

Mr Keohane's friends and relatives, including his sister Carol, watched the sentencing by video link.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/7296259/irishmans-attacker-jailed-for-14-years/

Further to this listening to the Radio tonight and reports are that David himself indicated that he is happy with the sentence that Isaako received.

The other offender Desmond Tupuolamoui is still at large.

20081110-184411-pic-78147123_resized.jpg

If you see him about either phone 000 or just give him a good kicking and see how he likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »
    just give him a good kicking and see how he likes it.

That would make anyone as much as a scumbag as he is.

The rumours is he fled to NZ/ the islands and probably won't be seen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

There's been absolutely nothing mentioned on the news here in NZ (well as far I have seen from watching the news every evening and reading the news pages at work every day) about the fact that he may have fled back here. If he has then the general public aren't aware of it anyway, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

watna wrote: »
    There's been absolutely nothing mentioned on the news here in NZ (well as far I have seen from watching the news every evening and reading the news pages at work every day) about the fact that he may have fled back here. If he has then the general public aren't aware of it anyway, as far as I know.

Get the word out so....

Just heard on the Radio that this thug Desmond Tupuolamoui

Was picked up by Police in Darwin and is being extradited to Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Just heard on the Radio that this thug Desmond Tupuolamoui

Was picked up by Police in Darwin and is being extradited to Sydney.

Front page of the news here too - http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/3921214/Kiwi-arrest-over-Sydney-backpacker-attack

might bring some slight relief for the family...

FreeAnd.. wrote: »
    Front page of the news here too - http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/3921214/Kiwi-arrest-over-Sydney-backpacker-attack

might bring some slight relief for the family...

And here:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/man-21-arrested-over-bashing-of-irishman-david-keohane-20100715-10bf2.html?autostart=1
    SMH wrote:
    Man, 21, arrested over bashing of Irishman David Keohane GLENDA KWEK
    July 15, 2010 - 10:55AM

Replay video Darwin arrest over Keohane bashing
    A 21-year-old man has been arrested in Darwin over the bashing of Irishman David Keohane two years ago.

A friend of bashing victim Irishman David Keohane says he is "pleased" that a man has been arrested in Darwin over the attack two years ago.

Steve Carey said he was "very pleased with the news" and said he hoped the arrest would "provide closure to the episode".

The 21-year-old New Zealander, believed to be Kane Desmond Tupuolamaoui, was arrested at a house in Leanyer by NSW Police about 6am today.

He will face Darwin Magistrates Court this morning, and is expected to be extradited to Sydney tomorrow and charged with inflicting grievous bodily harm with intent to murder, police said.

Mr Keohane, 29, was punched on the head about 14 times in a violent attack and robbery about 2am on August 9, 2008, as he was returning home from a pub in Coogee in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

He suffered multiple head injuries, facial fractures and had brain damage after the assault, and was also unconscious for 218 days.

Mr Carey, a member of the NSW Cork Association, said Mr Keohane, who returned to Ireland in September 2009, was doing "reasonably well".

"It's a long road of rehabilitation," he said.

Three people have already been charged for the attack on Mr Keohane, police said.

Police said a public tip-off led to the Northern Territory arrest.

"We received information from members of the public, which assisted us in finding this man and I would like to extend my thanks to the community for their help," Eastern Beaches Local Area Commander Superintendent Gavin Dengate said.

Superintendent Dengate said detectives were keen to bring the 21-year-old back to Sydney and "they might want to wait all night to get him back here in the morning".

He said police were not looking for anyone else in relation to the bashing, but appealed for any information from the public.

Thomas Isaako, 21, from Bankstown, was sentenced to at least 14 years' jail in May this year for the attack.

He was acquitted of an attempted murder charge, but pleaded guilty to robbery in company and inflicting grievous bodily harm.

- with AAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Ha, hope he enjoys his stay in the big house, dont drop the soap there bro...

Another person arrested and charged with concealing a serious indictable offence, and hindering a police investigation.

http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/latest_releases?sq_content_src=%2BdXJsPWh0dHBzJTNBJTJGJTJGd3d3LmViaXoucG9saWNlLm5zdy5nb3YuYXUlMkZtZWRpYSUyRjEyMzMxLmh0bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

Fifth person arrested in relation to David Keohane assault – Eastern Suburbs LAC
    Saturday, 24 Jul 2010 03:32am

A man will appear in court today after officers attached to Eastern Beaches Local Area Command made the fifth arrest in relation to the aggravated assault of Irish backpacker David Keohane in August 2008.

Shortly before 2pm yesterday (Friday 23 July 2010), a 26-year-old man was arrested at a warehouse in Alexandria and taken to Maroubra Police Station where he was questioned and later charged with concealing a serious indictable offence, and hindering a police investigation.

He’s been refused bail to appear in Parramatta Bail Court today.

David Keohane, aged 29, was discovered lying on the ground near the intersection of Brook and Kidman Street at Coogee about 3am on Saturday 9 August 2008.

He had suffered head injuries and was treated at Prince of Wales Hospital before being taken back to Ireland by his family in September 2009.

Eastern Beaches Local Area Commander, Superintendent Gavin Dengate, praised the work of investigators.

“This arrest is another example of the dedication to duty of officers involved in this entire investigation,” Supt Dengate said.

“Since August 2008, they have been determined to bring anyone involved in the Keohane matter before the courts, and this charging is just another example of their successful investigative strategy.”

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

While a lot of negative things have been written about the NSW police (and some certainly justified) I have to tip my hat to them on this. As mentioned above they never let this one go and have followed up every possible lead and continue to go after anyone even remotely involved.
    Fair play to them.

I dont know if anyone seen Ten news last Thursday (17th) on Davids case, apparently he suffered a setback to his recovery 2 months ago and suffered a 45 minute seizure.

Anyway I recorded it for any of you who might have been lucky enough to be out on the p*ss that night and missed it.

Also like to wish David & his family all the best with his recovery.

• Advertisement

I dont know if anyone seen Ten news last Thursday (17th) on Davids case, apparently he suffered a setback to his recovery 2 months ago and suffered a 45 minute seizure.

Anyway I recorded it for any of you who might have been lucky enough to be out on the p*ss that night and missed it.

Also like to wish David & his family all the best with his recovery.

Article in this weeks SouthernCourier as well. First guy arrested now saying he lied in court and it was all his idea not the 2nd guys. Also the second guy arrested did not touch him. Sentencing adjourned till July 15.

Article also mentions the set back. So at least the local rag is keeping up with the case.

Advertisement