Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extension lead or booster for mobile broadband modem

Options
  • 27-08-2008 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Having tried and failed with both Vodafone and Three mobile modems I was about to give up until I tried O2 (just realise that reads like a really cheap ad) - I'm getting high end Edge coverage and occasionally full broadband in certain parts of the house - by using a longer USB lead and hanging the modem as close to the ceiling as I can. This poses the question - if I am that close would it be possibler to use a much longer lead and place the modem, say, in the attic to give faster speeds, I don't mind losing the mobility of the device - just want good speeds at home. Failing this, is it possible to boost/amplify a broadband signal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The limitation for a USB cable, without a repeater/booster, is a five meters. A longer cable (or several cables joined) most likely won't work without boosters (a powered hub should do it). All depends on how far it is to the roof, from where your computer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

I took apart my broaband modem.. and wrapped thin light copper wire around the existing internal antenna... boosted signal by 10%

Advertisement