Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would i make it...?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hola!

Thinking of leaving my regular gym and taking up membership in UL - ideally to do the step classes with Richie. Would i generally make it from St Johns to UL for 6, leaving at 5.30? I did last night but would things change come September with school traffic would you reckon? I would go down by the hospital and straight out to meet the Dublin Road by the A1 bar and straight out past the Parkway etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

supermouse wrote: »
    Hola!

Thinking of leaving my regular gym and taking up membership in UL - ideally to do the step classes with Richie. Would i generally make it from St Johns to UL for 6, leaving at 5.30? I did last night but would things change come September with school traffic would you reckon? I would go down by the hospital and straight out to meet the Dublin Road by the A1 bar and straight out past the Parkway etc...

Just about I'd say. Parking in time would be the only issue then. I think there's a 7:30 class too, but I've no clue about it....try the arena website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

There's a 6pm class and a 7pm class.

If you went around by rhebogue you would miss a good chunk of traffic and so the only Dublin Rd. traffic you would hit would be from the get out at Aldi to the Groody roundabout.

Top class by the way. Have been going to Richie for about 13 years now. Not so much lately because of time, but his class is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

thank you!
    Went to him for years and defo cant wait to get back into it! not as stiff as i thought i would be today - thank god!
    i'd say i'll defo leave JJB anyway - the queue's in the evenings are too much for my patience to cope with!

maybe see you there ALAN D :)

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mccutchie

Hey guys, this is something I would be interested in also, have you got more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Most schools are back towards the end of this week so you will see a large increase in traffic. Clare Street/Dublin Road can be like a car park at rush hour at the best of times. Once you get past the Parkway roundabout traffic should flow.

• Advertisement

Even with schools finishing round the 3 mark would it still make traffic difficult at 5.30 - 6?
    Will check anyway next week to see :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This might sound a little extreme, but it's pretty quick to cycle out that direction. I've done the route a few times from the Caherdavin side of the city, takes about 45 minutes and acts as a good warm-up at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

thank you!
    Went to him for years and defo cant wait to get back into it! not as stiff as i thought i would be today - thank god!
    i'd say i'll defo leave JJB anyway - the queue's in the evenings are too much for my patience to cope with!

maybe see you there ALAN D :)
    Ah yes the queue in the evenings, who else knows someone (im not admitting anything) about going out the side entrance having someone looking for the right chance to go... saves you half a hour.

Anyway used JJB's last summer and besides the traffic problems I loved the place, but going to UL starting next week so I suppose I'll join the gym there because of student rates etc.
    Even with schools finishing round the 3 mark would it still make traffic difficult at 5.30 - 6?
    Will check anyway next week to see :)

No I really can't see how it could possible take half a hour to be honest, the only place where you could get stuck is at the dublin roundabout but it wont be for that long, you could even bypass the dublin roundabout and head out by B&Q and come in by the Tipperary roundabout which might save you a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1huge1 wrote: »
    head out by B&Q and come in by the Tipperary roundabout which might save you a lot of time.

BAD BAD BAD BAD BAAAAAAD idea at 5:45 of an evening!!

Ya but surely heading into town wouldnt be that bad? Better than hitting the dublin roundabout no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote: »
    No I really can't see how it could possible take half a hour to be honest, the only place where you could get stuck is at the dublin roundabout but it wont be for that long, you could even bypass the dublin roundabout and head out by B&Q and come in by the Tipperary roundabout which might save you a lot of time.

Big mistake. Going out the Tipperary Road is worse. Since they switched the traffic lights on at the Ballysimon interchange the traffic heading out the Tipperary Road from the city is bumper to bumper during rush hour.

I see, sorry about that so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

used to henry street to ul leaving at 5:30 for training in ul at 6 think i was late one in a year and a half...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

bazz26 wrote: »
    Big mistake. Going out the Tipperary Road is worse. Since they switched the traffic lights on at the Ballysimon interchange the traffic heading out the Tipperary Road from the city is bumper to bumper during rush hour.
    traffic lights have little to do with it, its the roundabout is the bottleneck.

to get there in time you will HAVE to go through rhebogue. the way id go is cut left onto clare st, force ur way across the road, and shoot up the inside lane, turn left, past musgraves, right along the canal, right at the end, left at the crossroad,etc etc.

very good! thanks for the replies guys, will let ye know how i get on!

Advertisement