Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester U\O Help Needed

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi Lads,

New to Boards, but I need your help if possible, I need to draw on the collective knowledge thats out there.

I bought a Winchester Super Grade 12ga last week, got it from a friend. It was probably built in late 70s, maybe earrly eighties, I love this gun, it handles beautifully, balance is perfect for me.

Anyway got to try it out in the field, a small problem developed, the mechanism that cocks the firing hammers is operated by sort of a push rod in the forestock. When you break the gun it sets the hammers. the face of the push rod has worn over time and sometimes does not cock the hammers.

I took off the fore stock and fitted a shim with glue to the face of the push rod. Gun operated fine till it ate the shim.

I can't be the only one that this has happened to? Can anyone point me in the direction of any where that I can get a replacement part, (Winchester 101 Super Grade), or am I pissing in the wind, so to speak, as the factory has closed and they are a bit rare anyway.

Supergrade001.jpg
    Supergrade002.jpg

This is the worn part- the bit sticking out :!:
    Supergrade003.jpg

This is how it is fixed to the forestock- it a separate part to the main bodySupergrade005.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated, ideal situation would be to find a genuine replacement part/ copy.

Please help, I want to get this gun right as it is a keeper

PS. Sorry about the font SH*t, copied from word.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

AFAIK Winchester shotguns are now made by Miroku - you might try there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

PS. Sorry about the font SH*t, copied from word.
    All the font tags are currently disabled throughout Boards.ie, so that's why the code was showing up.

Well done on composing your post in Word, it's a good way of spell-checking stuff before posting; as you've seen though, Word stitches a lot of formatting information into your content that then shows up when it's pasted into the forum.
    One handy way around this is to paste your content from Word to Notepad.
    Notepad converts it to plain text which will display properly on Boards.

I'm afraid I can't help with your shotgun issue, sorry. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Hairy Hunter

Thanks on both accounts:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Bad news is Winchester has gone out of the gun making busisness for the last couple of years.Marlin bought them out I belive.Good news is; that isnt the hardest problem for a competant gunsmith to fix.
    What has proably happened is the part wasnt properly, if ever heat treated,hence your wear.It needs to be built up again with shim stock and properly heat treated.OTOH you could try www.gunparts.com in West Hurley NY.They have a huge catolouge of parts and should have a spare in stock.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

BROWNiNG iNTERNATiONAL
    Parc Industriel des Hauts-Sarts
    3eme Avenue, 25
    4040 HERSTAL, BELGIUM
    TEL: +32 4 240 52 11
    Fax: +32 4 240 52 12
    Web Site: www.browningint.com Click "special access"

Courtlough in Balgriggan or East Coast in Wexford.

Browning/Winchester UK, 37D Milton Park Estate, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 4RT. (Tel: 0235-833939). Te: (01235) 444100

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=winchester-model-101-factory-parts

Shoot Chris Showler an Email: cshowler@gmail.com
    He specialize in Winchester 101's and is in the US.

"I want to get this gun right as it is a keeper" :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement