Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ugly White ESB Box

• 27-08-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Don't know if anyone can help with this. Is there an alternative type of box to the bog standard crappy white ESB one ?

I have managed to stash this behind the chimney which is fair enough, but it still sticks out like a sore thumb on the stone work which is Quartz.

Suggestions..... ?

Best regards, P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

There is nothing stopping you spray painting it.

I would also imagine that there is a similar sytle available in mild steel.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

is it too late to build a bin screen / free standing structure - and mount it there ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

hmmm

depends how busy the stone masons have been today.... will check this evening...

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You don't have to use that one, you can design your own.
    Depending on your current, a flush timber or composite panel box would be leagues better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used whats called a "farm shed box" which I mounted externally on the wall, the standard white one is made to be inset into a stone/block wall.
    I had neither the wall thickness or the desire to chop a big hole in the wall and make a big cold spot in the insulation.
    The farm box has a clear cover that screws on and doesn't need to be opened to be read.
    A clear cover might be less obtrusive then white?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ratem

Suggest you read the new customer interface booklet which sets out all the do's and don'ts of outside meter boxes and sounds like your getting some advice here that could end up with your meter position being non compliant.
    Sinnerboy offers the best solution but you still need an approved enclosure

Why ?

What would you reckon is non compliant ?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ratem

I'd suggest you go to http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/home/index.jsp and look at the "National code of practice" section all the details you need are there.
    what I know is non compliant is where you now put the meter box
    within 2 meters of the facade facing the drive way is the new location
    The box cannot be wooden, perspex covered, mounted on a wall unless correct IP type is used and not acceptable in most domestic circumstances
    must have triangular key operating door lock and spring operated closing latch.

the above link will cover all this and a bit more

Ratem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think a homemade one will be acceptable to the ESB but as long as the meter box is IP55 rated then it should be OK.
    The electrical supply stores won't sell meter boxes that are not compliant.
    Otherwise what is the point?, The ESB won't hook up anything that doesn't comply.
    But I can tell you that my clear plastic fronted IP 55 rated external box was hooked up by the ESB no problemo.
    I did have to make a wooden mounting panel inside the box for the equipment to be mounted to instead of the metal sheet that was provided.

The location was discussed with the ESB engineer and he is happy with it.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ratem wrote: »
    I'd suggest you go to http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/home/index.jsp and look at the "National code of practice" section all the details you need are there.
    what I know is non compliant is where you now put the meter box
    within 2 meters of the facade facing the drive way is the new location
    All he said was that it is behind the chimney, it may or may not be in a suitable location, why would you assume it isn't. ???
    The fact that its apparently connected by the ESB would lead me to believe its ok. The ESB won't touch anything that isn't to their liking.

Beside, those rules are guidelines and are always acceptable. But they are not limits.
    Where it is clearly impossible to fit ESB Networks’ equipment into an accessible outdoor location, the ESBN Design office must be consulted at the planning stage, to determine the most suitable location.
    The box cannot be wooden, perspex covered, mounted on a wall unless correct IP type is used and not acceptable in most domestic circumstances
    must have triangular key operating door lock and spring operated closing latch
    the above link will cover all this and a bit more
    Again you assume that the clear box by CJ was not IP rated, its was and got the go ahead. Nobody suggested a DIY timber box, (nor perspex for that matter). Nor was it suggested to go ahead and do what you want.
    all was said was that you can vary from the standard one. On previous jobs, I have seen custom housings for IP rated boxes, that resulted in concealed bozxes that the ESB were happy with.

Advertisement