Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

shock absorber

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi All

I need to replace a shock absorber, since I failed the NCT :(

Do you know of anyone that replaces them in the Sandyford area or the whereabouts? And how much would it cost?

Thanks

Johann

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

JohannM wrote: »
    Hi All

Do you know of anyone that replaces them in the Sandyford area or the whereabouts? And how much would it cost?

Thanks

Johann

If you failed due to an imbalance between left and right, you'll need to replace both left and right one, otherwise you'll create a new imbalance... what's the make/model of car? typically any quick fit type place will will do these...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Hi All

Thanks

Johann

It's best to change shockers in pairs as it will be dangerous having a new one and an old worn one. What car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohannM

its an opel, and I arranged with the garage i bought it from, since its still under a 1 year warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They might undertake to get it passed now which means they will fit one new shock and get it passed with the new imbalance.

Don't take no crapola- tell them there's no way you're changing just one shock.

well

i will try to get them replace them both, will see how it goes.

Its dangerous to drive with an imbalance eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

well

i will try to get them replace them both, will see how it goes.

Its dangerous to drive with an imbalance eh?

If you have the nct fail printout, it will show the imbalance info, good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think shock absorbers fall under wear and tear items in the same light as a battery or tyre. If you only bought the car recently then maybe the garage will replace them but if it is months down the road they may not. Also depends on the terms and conditions of the warranty. Definately try them anyway, nothing to loose.

BTW the advice about replacing shock absorbers in pairs (per axel) is spot on.

thanks for all recomendations guys

I am going to have them repaired under warranty

Thanks again

Advertisement