Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock

Options
  • 27-08-2008 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

My kryptonite new york style u lock has seized up, key won't open it,was acting up for several wks. Got it from wiggle a few months ago. What shud i do? sending a heavy u lock back to uk will be pricey ,no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Presume you have tried WD40 etc....?
    did you lube it when it was "acting up"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

My kryptonite new york style u lock has seized up, key won't open it,was acting up for several wks. Got it from wiggle a few months ago. What shud i do? sending a heavy u lock back to uk will be pricey ,no?

Wiggle sent me out a lock a few weeks ago that was previously returned to them by another customer. (It had keys and mounting a bracket missing). I ended up paying for post back to them, which they refunded, but it came to 35euro (:eek:) to post it.

Send Wiggle an email explaining what has happened. They might offer to replace it with postage paid by them. If you do this make sure you get it in an email that they will definitely pay the postage.

The other option as the above poster says is to try WD40. Also try acetone/nail varnish remover incase the reason its sticking is because someone was messing it and put glue into it. The third thing might be to bring it to a locksmith and see what they say. There's probably a trade way of free up stiff locks that they'll know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Sounds like it just needs to be oiled - not surprising if it's been used outside for the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Morgan wrote: »
    Sounds like it just needs to be oiled - not surprising if it's been used outside for the past few weeks.

Theres a protector over the key hole on New York locks that slides shut when the key is taken out should have been using that mate, bit late for should haves I suppose. Keep wacking oil and wd40 into the key hole and let it sit inside it should loosen out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. I got it open by spending ages pulling really hard at it till eventually it came open. The problem was nothing to do with the key but, as people have said, was the lock itself getting clogged up. So if the key is turned to allow it to open it just was a question of pulling hard enough for me.

Once I had it open I foudn there was loads of gunk inside the lock. I got a screwdriver and tissues etc and cleaned it all out. I then cleaned off the ends of the U part as well that goes into the lock as they had got quite rusty. After I'd cleaned it out I gave it plenty of oiling and now it works properly with no problems. I think you just have to be careful to keep them clean and oiled, particularly in bad weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

WD40 worked a treat, cheers lads.

Advertisement