Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECT

• 27-08-2008 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Has anyone had ECT for chronic moderate depression that didn't respond to any medication or psychotherapy. I would be interested to know. How many sessions did you have and did it work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

i've had ect (8 sessions) for severe psychotic depression and it worked miraculously well. Three months later the depression returned in a less serious way and because it had worked the previous time they gave me another six sessions. It didn't help at all that time.
    Before the SSRIs and SNRIs were developed and before I was put on a cocktail of mood stabilisers my depression was completely treatment resistant. I believe that ECT only works for severe depression in the vast majority of cases. Some people for whom ECT has worked in the past can have benefit from a few sessions when their depression is moderate or even as a way to stave off a serious episode.
    hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Happiness

yes I had 6 sessions of ECT for DEPRESSION IN NEW YORK in the 80's.
    I was very depressed and found it of little benefit first time, and second time, but the third time, it was very helpful, and lifted the weight of the
    depression off me, I never needed it again since, but if I did need it I would definately go for it. But I suppose you must consider that it doesn't seem to suit everyone.But I would recommend ECT.:)

Advertisement