Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

Similar thread for Drawda so I thought, why not one for Dundalk!!

Have been to Riva, Clanbrassil St, a couple of times now, for the evening menu.

As there doesn't seem to be many places for decent pub food in the town and I'm not a big wine fan, it was great fo find somewhere with a selection of bottled beer and Heineken on draught.

You get a complementary plate of a foccacia with 2 small bowls of dips, one pesto, the other, I'm guessing hoummous! If it was hoummous then it needed a lot more seasoning, including garlic, tahini and a lot less water. But it was free so can't complain!

I had the spicy fishcakes to start. Made with tinned salmon but what do you want for the price, around €7 as far as I can remember. And not sure about a balsamic dressing on the salad garnish though. But apart from that, really tasty and will definately have them again!

Had the monkfish wrapped in herbs and parma ham for my main course. Oh dear! The herbs! Strongly suspect they were of the dried and mixed variety, you know the ones in the little silver canisters from Goodalls. This came on "a bed of mashed potatoes" and that was it. A bit mean I thought for the price, around €25. But just as I was more than half way through my fish and spuds, the veg arrived. A purée of carrots and parsnips I think, not bad, just too late. I pointed this out to the waitress with sign-language as my mouth was full, but she just looked at me with raised eyebrows and walked away. No explanation, no apology, nothing! I noticed another table had the same trouble with "chunky chips" arriving as they were half way through the rest of their meal. Chips looked great btw!

We skipped dessert so can't comment on that! But overall not bad at all for a pint and a bit of grub in the evening! If only they could get the timing right though and lose the dried herbs, it would be really good!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Golden dragon, also on clanbrassil st.
    Friendly and relaxed atmosphere, you're never rushed (unlike the Jade).
    Food is good as far as chinese goes around here. Staff are very polite.

Despite it's recent bad publicity I'm gonna stick by it, defo my pick for chinese.

Roso's at Roden place also a great little restaurant, a bit of expensive but you defo get what you pay for as far as quality and service. Probably my favourite restaurant in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The Windsor by the Shopping Centre is absolutely gorgeous. Its pricey (nothing majorly over the top) but well worth it. Friendly staff and lovely premises. Can't recommend it enough. Go! Now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

peejay1986 wrote: »
    The Windsor by the Shopping Centre is absolutely gorgeous. Its pricey (nothing majorly over the top) but well worth it. Friendly staff and lovely premises. Can't recommend it enough. Go! Now!

It's not a patch on the Lisdoo Steakhouse for quality and value.
    I feel eating out is a personal thing and we all have different tastes and standards. Some people will love the Jade while others wouldn't step foot in it. The town has a large selection of places to eat and that reflects the different requirements of the customer.

There is plenty of Pub food in the Lisdoo, Jockeys, Condiland others unlike what the OP said. There are good Italian, Chinese and Indian Restaurants as well as a choic of fine dining. There are lots of places like Darver Castle within a short distance as well. I don't know what more can be expected for a town this size.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They can't cook a steak in the Lisdoo, not good for a 'steak-house'. The Windsor does a better job than it.

The Punjab and Rosso are the only 2 restaurants I'd recommend to a stranger in the town. There's a few other places that are decent enough and a few that are hit and miss.

They can't cook a steak in the Lisdoo, not good for a 'steak-house'. The Windsor does a better job than it.

The Punjab and Rosso are the only 2 restaurants I'd recommend to a stranger in the town. There's a few other places that are decent enough and a few that are hit and miss.

My point exactly! I am one of those people who usually has staek when eating out and I think the Lisdoo is streets ahead of the Winsdor for streaks. The quality of the meat and the cooking are both superior in my opinion. You feel otherwise and that is fine but it proves that when it comes to restaurants it's down to personal taste and opinion. I know some who think Fitzpatricks is a poor pub grub when others think it fine dining.
    I wouldn't eat in the Punjab if you paid me to but I like Rosso (although very overpriced for what you get).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

I wouldn't eat in the Punjab if you paid me.

Just wondering do you dislike Indian food or just this particular Indian restaurant?
    I've eaten there a few times and enjoyed the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Just wondering do you dislike Indian food or just this particular Indian restaurant?
    I've eaten there (the Punjab) a few times and enjoyed the food.

So have I - great food, nice place, polite staff. Grand spot.

I've eaten there a few times and enjoyed the food.

Oh no nothing about that place at all except I can't even be in the same room as Indian food. The smell of rich spices and curries are not my cuppa. Sorry for the ambiguity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

The Crowne Plaza is good. Upstairs has a better selection than the bar/brasserie downstairs but both are good.

I dislike the Lisdoo for the simple reason that there appears to be three different areas and three different menu's and the one I was in near the car park was rubbish of the highest order.

One or two nice places in Carlingford but a bit of a drive. IMO there is not much good places about.

Fitzpatrick's is goodish but overpriced by a good margin.
    Ballymascanlon is pretty decent and fairly good value.

All imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

for good home cooked quality food, ma brady's all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

patrickc wrote: »
    for good home cooked quality food, ma Brady's all the way.

Yeah Ma Brady's is a real high class establishment:p

You might as well go to McDonald's for a meal.:pac:

Unfortunately Ma Brady's is a mere shadow of it's previous self, there was a time I would have recommended it, but not anymore!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

when i grew up in Dundalk and go back there I always make a point of eating in it, havent in the last 2 years or so, but for a good dinner I always thought it was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 poccocurante

Riva brasserie for a lunch only.
    Lisdoo for an evening menu, a la carte only, good stuff.
    Fitzpatrick's, don't eat burger, try something different, read the menu.
    Winsdor if you are hungry, not bad.
    Maggie's bistro Carlingford for a sea-food and a bit of romantic, take your partner out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Fitzpatrick's, don't eat burger, try something different, read the menu.

And if you're a vegetarian then ask for the vegetarian menu. I didn't even know they had one, (they don't offer it, you have to ask) until one day I was ordering stuffed mushrooms as a main course and the waitress suggested a more substantial version that was on the vegertarian menu!

Still no sign of a chickpea, a butter bean or a bit of tofu, but a few meat and fish-free things to choose from.

But Fitzpatricks is definately overpriced. And watch out for cracked dishes! (Especially the ones containng the dipping sauces that come with the cooked to death crab-claws!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dundalkianite

What about the Brake in Blackrock?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

What about the Brake in Blackrock?

i think the brake is over rated. very small selection to choose from and very pricey for what you get. i hate ordering a steak and then having to pay extra for a slice of carrot and a spud.

anyone been to darver castle for evening food, apparently they've a new early bird type thing for 25 quid. does anyone know if it's good ?

bettedavis wrote: »
    i think the brake is over rated. very small selection to choose from and very pricey for what you get. i hate ordering a steak and then having to pay extra for a slice of carrot and a spud.

anyone been to darver castle for evening food, apparently they've a new early bird type thing for 25 quid. does anyone know if it's good ?

I agree completely about the Brake. Over-rated, poor selection on the menu and not a comfortable venue.

Darver is lovely. Great food , lovely staff and good value!

was in the clermount in blackrock sat night. seafood platter was absolutely devine. shouldn't have bothered with a starter as it was criminal the amount of the platter i had to leave behind, it was that big. miles better than the same dish in the brake. fabulous !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 whacky

try the century bar across from the cathederal, great pub lunches and reasonably priced, they also do food at nite aswell in the restauraunt.......its 1 of my fav's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

'wacky' you don't own the Century bar by any chance?:rolleyes:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 mickdlk

Try thr Roma, best chippy in ireland by far.
    All the Northern people who stop in Dundalk on way home from Croke Park, always do so just for a Roma

heres a quick tip. last friday i got a takeaway from the golden dragon- 'crispy chilli chicken with salt' . i'd never seen this dish before so i gave it a shot. now i've eaten a lot of chinese takeaways in me time but this dish was without doubt THE most delicious chinese i've ever tasted. seriously dudes trust me on this one and let me know what ye thought.:D

whacky wrote: »
    try the century bar across from the cathederal, great pub lunches and reasonably priced, they also do food at nite aswell in the restauraunt.......its 1 of my fav's

think it's still quaglinos above the century isn't it. not impressed by here yet i've never even eaten in it. went one evening, into the bar and they sent us upstairs, we were only at the top of the stairs when a woman came to meet us forcing us back down the stairwell. we asked would she have a free table for three. (at this stage it had just gone 6 and the place was empty) she looked at us like we were scum, 'have you booked'.........'no we were just checking to see if you'd a table free'...........'no we don't'.......................not 'oh i'm sorry we're all booked up this evening'. she was so unbelieveably rude i would never set foot in the place again. manners cost nothing but when you're in the service industry surely it's a pre-requisite

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You didn't miss much in my opinion bettedavis. Myself and her-good-self went with a couple of friends one evening last year. The staff were fine but slow to attend to our request for wine, water etc. The food was mediocre at best. I had the lobster, it should have been thrown back by the fisherman, instead it was served to me over-cooked. The rest of my meal escapes my memory.

As always, I'd recommend people make their own decisions on a restaurant, I'd love to hear a few great reports that may entice me back to give it a second chance.

considering going to o neills of annagassan for lunch saturday. anybody any opinions on here ? bringing the folks so i hope it's fairly , 'daddy grub' as opposed to salad on a plate ? anybody know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

I see a sign for a new restaurant above Courtney's pub called "Left Bank" ??

mickdlk wrote: »
    Try thr Roma, best chippy in ireland by far.

I haven't tried all the chippy's in Ireland yet, but I haven't eaten in one better than the Roma so far. Top class!

• Advertisement

flocker wrote: »
    I see a sign for a new restaurant above Courtney's pub called "Left Bank" ??

interesting. best of luck to anyone with the billiards to open a new restaraunt in current smelly economic climate.

Advertisement