Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Dunny! wrote: »
    Zam Zam is very overpriced. Nice kebab tho.

Do you really think it's over priced for a kebab. I think it's quite reasonable, well it was the last time I was in it. Think it was €5.50 for a medium kebab.

Thing about the kebabs in there though, they are usually massive, even the 'small' ones.

Few months since I was in there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Okay, going out for a chinese meal tonight in Dundalk. Any recommendations of the best place to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Probably not useful but few weeks back herself finally agreed to go for a Chinese. Black Wok in Blackrock looked good. The menu was posted outside the door & quite a few chicken dishes, then at the bottom under extra said "fresh chicken breast €0.70". This made me think "whats in the regular chicken dishes then, stale chicken?" It was probably just a case of something lost in translation but we didn't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Black Wok is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

LCD wrote: »
    Probably not useful but few weeks back herself finally agreed to go for a Chinese. Black Wok in Blackrock looked good. The menu was posted outside the door & quite a few chicken dishes, then at the bottom under extra said "fresh chicken breast €0.70". This made me think "whats in the regular chicken dishes then, stale chicken?" It was probably just a case of something lost in translation but we didn't go in.

I'd assume something like the difference between a "Chicken Curry" and a "Breast of Chicken Curry". Not a dish I ever go for but the second would have a full breast so loads of chicken. Chicken burger v Chicken Fillet burger? I know which I'd go for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

realtinh wrote: »
    Okay, going out for a chinese meal tonight in Dundalk. Any recommendations of the best place to go?

Adelphi Jade is great! Same owners as Jade Garden i presume, so similar except newer and much more choice on menu.

http://www.adelphijade.ie

Ignore the online menu as it isnt exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Nesta99 wrote: »
    Adelphi Jade is great! Same owners as Jade Garden i presume, so similar except newer and much more choice on menu.

http://www.adelphijade.ie

Ignore the online menu as it isnt exactly the same.

Sorry but I really have to disagree with you here - I think the Adelphi Jade is deplorable as a restaurant. Myself and my family went in for a meal on Christmas Eve, as we had received a voucher for the place from a friend. My aunt had suffered food poisoning after one of their takeaways but since we had heard overall decent reports about the place, we decided to try it for ourselves. The waiting staff were quite expressionless, almost bored looking, and never smiled as they took our orders or showed us to our table - some would call this nit-picking but I think to be greeted with a smile in a restaurant sets in stone my impressions of the place.
    Anyway, within ten minutes of taking our order, the waiter arrived back with our food, and straightaway we knew that something was wrong because in most other restaurants it takes at least 20 minutes for the main courses to arrive. Our meals (chicken curry and chicken with cashew nuts, plus a portion of noodles, rice and chips) were lukewarm and served on cold platters, which led us to believe that the food wasn't fresh but simply reheated, and not heated enough, at that. This is quite possibly the reason for my aunt contracting food poisoning. Portions were smallish for the exorbitant prices we paid for them.
    We decided to finish off with dessert and coffee, and I must say, this was the highlight of the meal - dessert was excellent and beautifully presented, unlike the main meals which were a little sloppy. However, I reckon the coffee was instant and this simply isn't good enough when it's charged at E2.50 a cup.
    The price was ludicrous - for 3 (smallish) two-course dinners, 3 drinks and 2 coffees, we paid E70, almost twice the amount on the voucher. We made our feelings known to the woman at the desk, and she was very accommodating - however, we certainly won't be returning. An exorbitant total for what is essentially reheated food, and the waiting staff alone with their stand-offish attitude would put me off visiting again. The dessert was beautiful, but this in no way makes up for the mediocre quality of the "authentic Asian cuisine".

My advice - go with The Black Wok. Beautiful food at very reasonable prices :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Whatever about the food, 'Black Wok' is a pretty cool name for a chinese in Blackrock :cool:

:pac:

SChique00 wrote: »
    Sorry but I really have to disagree with you here - I think the Adelphi Jade is deplorable as a restaurant. Myself and my family went in for a meal on Christmas Eve, as we had received a voucher for the place from a friend. My aunt had suffered food poisoning after one of their takeaways but since we had heard overall decent reports about the place, we decided to try it for ourselves. The waiting staff were quite expressionless, almost bored looking, and never smiled as they took our orders or showed us to our table - some would call this nit-picking but I think to be greeted with a smile in a restaurant sets in stone my impressions of the place.
    Anyway, within ten minutes of taking our order, the waiter arrived back with our food, and straightaway we knew that something was wrong because in most other restaurants it takes at least 20 minutes for the main courses to arrive. Our meals (chicken curry and chicken with cashew nuts, plus a portion of noodles, rice and chips) were lukewarm and served on cold platters, which led us to believe that the food wasn't fresh but simply reheated, and not heated enough, at that. This is quite possibly the reason for my aunt contracting food poisoning. Portions were smallish for the exorbitant prices we paid for them.
    We decided to finish off with dessert and coffee, and I must say, this was the highlight of the meal - dessert was excellent and beautifully presented, unlike the main meals which were a little sloppy. However, I reckon the coffee was instant and this simply isn't good enough when it's charged at E2.50 a cup.
    The price was ludicrous - for 3 (smallish) two-course dinners, 3 drinks and 2 coffees, we paid E70, almost twice the amount on the voucher. We made our feelings known to the woman at the desk, and she was very accommodating - however, we certainly won't be returning. An exorbitant total for what is essentially reheated food, and the waiting staff alone with their stand-offish attitude would put me off visiting again. The dessert was beautiful, but this in no way makes up for the mediocre quality of the "authentic Asian cuisine".

Jaysus! I couldn't have had a more different experience, i found the staff friendly enough albeit some with limited english, and were available when requested (then i personally hate waiting staff hovering about for an entire meal). One of the erm 'fussier' members of the group was accomadated without any hassle and there was no issue over getting 'doggy bags' which meant that we obviously found the portions big enough. TBH i dont really recall the prices, bit pricey for take-away but that is my place of choice now regardless and no food poisoning though i never have had from anywhere. Similar enough experience on a return visit.

Maybe as in many work places depending on what manager/chef is on the staff's behaviour is better or worse so either i got them on a good night or you got them on a bad.

I'm not saying your aunt didnt get food poisoning from the restaurant but i'm always a bit skeptical about such situations unless the food is tested as it should always be if there is a belief that it was contracted from a public kitchen. More often than not the simple act of overlooking washing hands would be enough. The possibility of picking somthing up off cash, door handle of restaurant etc...

Whatever about the food, 'Black Wok' is a pretty cool name for a chinese in Blackrock :cool:

:pac:

Very good esp if intentional lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Nesta99 wrote: »

I think it's a brother and sister who own/run them , the brother runs the Jade Garden and the sister runs the Adelphi Jade .

SChique00 wrote: »

I go to both the Jade Garden and the Adelphi Jade fairly regularly ( I alternate between them , but the Jade garden just edges the Adelphi for me ) and have never had cause to complain about the food or service :) .

Was in the "new" Jackies recently. Good food & staff are very friendly & efficient. Is basically the Windsor except in a different location. While the food is good nothing to different on it, 2 beefs, 2 chickens, veg & salmon set-up.

Only strange thing is the set menu, €25 per person for 2 courses. Very odd considering every other restaurant in the country seems to be doing 3 courses + tea/coffee for €25.

Crowne Plaze down the road is doing an excellent €50 for 2 people 3 courses plus tea/coffee & a bottle of wine. Food & service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

ninja 12 wrote: »
    I think it's a brother and sister who own/run them , the brother runs the Jade Garden and the sister runs the Adelphi Jade
    I go to both the Jade Garden and the Adelphi Jade fairly regularly ( I alternate between them , but the Jade garden just edges the Adelphi for me ) and have never had cause to complain about the food or service :) .
    Originally posted by Nesta99
    Jaysus! I couldn't have had a more different experience, i found the staff friendly enough albeit some with limited english, and were available when requested (then i personally hate waiting staff hovering about for an entire meal). One of the erm 'fussier' members of the group was accomadated without any hassle and there was no issue over getting 'doggy bags' which meant that we obviously found the portions big enough. TBH i dont really recall the prices, bit pricey for take-away but that is my place of choice now regardless and no food poisoning though i never have had from anywhere. Similar enough experience on a return visit.

Maybe as in many work places depending on what manager/chef is on the staff's behaviour is better or worse so either i got them on a good night or you got them on a bad.

I'm not saying your aunt didnt get food poisoning from the restaurant but i'm always a bit skeptical about such situations unless the food is tested as it should always be if there is a belief that it was contracted from a public kitchen. More often than not the simple act of overlooking washing hands would be enough. The possibility of picking somthing up off cash, door handle of restaurant etc...

Maybe it was the fact that the staff had to work on Christmas Eve that they were a little sullen, but that still doesn't explain the below-par food we received. Must say I've eaten in the Jade Garden countless times and while the takeaway can be hit-and-miss depending on what chef is on, I've never received a bad meal when sitting in - the staff has always been very helpful and the food up to scratch.

I agree, there is a possibility that she could have contracted it a number of ways but it's the fact that she got it just a few hours after coming out of the restaurant - that and the food was definitely reheated when we ate there. Have you ever eaten in a restaurant (obviously excluding fast food and deli joints) where the food has arrived in under ten minutes? And if it has, have you been happy with it?
    I'm glad you had a good experience in the Adelphi but I know I'll be sticking to the Jade - must say though that the manager on the desk was very helpful and really seemed to listen to our feedback :)

Yer spot on about the timing of food arriving to table from ordering. I maybe foolishly presume it is to do with demand. Im being a bit priggish over the food posioning but many a time i've heard people and moreso mates who go out for a meal - sick after, and call food poisoning forgetting that spicy food a few bottles/glasses of wine and the odd beer will give a cast iron disposition the runs lol.

Likewise when i looked online at the menu and subsequently tried to order from that they were perplexed but engageing...the joys of a smartphone i showed them the online menu... i got an apology, got the food i was after with a few extra starters (twas take away on this occasion). They explained that the website was a mix from a sister resturaunt, i note it hasnt been fixed mind you. I may tip back to jade garden as my standards may be slipping:p

Maybe the chef was peeved at working too so was serving up rubbish to clear yiz all out hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

went to Black Work in Blackrock last evening. Food was first class and very good value. one small gripe - if anything waiter service was over the top. arrived at our table every five min to see were we okay - did we need rice served from bowl to plate ?, flavours good ? etc. It was early in the evening and it was quiet.The take away looked to be doing major business. will go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Going to go for the Jade Garden as our next restaurant adventure, seems like the best:)

We went to the Crowne Plaza for a quick dinner one evening and I have to say it was delicious. I got chicken tenders and chip, absolutely gorgeous, generous portions, and my gf got a chicken caesar salad and loved it. And it was only about eight euro for each dish. Would definitely go back.

Also, we had a lunch meal in McGeoughs in Roden Place one day and it was lovely. We both had a chicken club sandwich and the portion was massive. Definitely worth the tenner paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FitchFi

We recently ate in Riva - it was lovely. I had Thai Chicken Curry and my partner had Pork and Chorizo stew which was very tasty. We had ribs to start between us, the meat was falling off the bone. Bottle of wine, bottle of sparkling water came to approx 57e. Service was very good and plenty of people eating in it. Will return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Left Bank are doing a deal of three courses (starter, dinner, dessert) and a glass of beer/soft drink for €15.

Have gone a few times, excellent value, and they give quite large portions as well,
    so they aren't cutting corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Left Bank are doing a deal of three courses (starter, dinner, dessert) and a glass of beer/soft drink for €15.

Have gone a few times, excellent value, and they give quite large portions as well,
    so they aren't cutting corners.

Is that an early-bird or otherwise restricted offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    but the Left Bank are doing a deal of three courses (starter, dinner, dessert) and a glass of beer/soft drink for €15.

Went in last week and I got charged for the 2 soft drinks we had.Think its just the food thats included in that deal?Or a drink and 2 courses?Didn't notice til I got home so didn't ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dazwhite

hi lads and ladies , i have been reading the posts on this forum , there all helpful for people planning 2 visit dundalk like me, just hoping ye can help me out, i am heading down on a stag with 9 others late 20's early 30's just looking for recommendations for maybe good bar food or a steakhouse, nothing to fancy .. just i see some of these posts r a few years old and places mite have closed etc. any help would be appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A gang of guys on a stag??:(

Do the town a favour and head out to Carlingford.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

dazwhite wrote: »
    hi lads and ladies , i have been reading the posts on this forum , there all helpful for people planning 2 visit dundalk like me, just hoping ye can help me out, i am heading down on a stag with 9 others late 20's early 30's just looking for recommendations for maybe good bar food or a steakhouse, nothing to fancy .. just i see some of these posts r a few years old and places mite have closed etc. any help would be appreciated!

Depending where you are staying but the Windsor is pretty good for a variety of food with good bar as well.

Jade Garden or Adelphi Jade seem to be best for Chinese no bar though.

Riva is good too and all of these are town centre so close to nightclubs, taxis etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 dazwhite

cheers, yea staying in crown plaza, will check those out, thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

left bank would be a better option than windsor for a group on a stag as you cant book the windsor, just turn up on spec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

dazwhite wrote: »
    cheers, yea staying in crown plaza, will check those out, thanks again

If you like Indian, I can't recommend King Balti enough. Plus you can bring your own booze so can work out cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

doncarlos wrote: »
    If you like Indian, I can't recommend King Balti enough. Plus you can bring your own booze so can work out cheap.

this definitely for a stag, other places might frown on a bit of rowdiness, you'll be fine in the balti.

not exactly caviar but will do for 20 odd lads on the beer looking for a stomach liner.

will be cheaper than the other options mentinoed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

rogieop wrote: »
    this definitely for a stag, other places might frown on a bit of rowdiness, you'll be fine in the balti.

Yeah bigtime. If we've ever a big crowd we always ring ahead and they give us the upstairs part. They even bring out buckets of ice for your wine/beer

King Balti would be best choice. Windsor is fine, menu very varied is steak, chicken, chicken, chicken, chicken or chicken. Also if you like chicken is some good chicken dishes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

king balti have no license for drink, do they?
    could be a vital bit of info for a stag. remember to bring your own.

though ill tell ya, could have a hard time convincing the bouncers in ridleys/brubakers to let in a group of 10 lads they dont know who will most likely be pissed

Advertisement