Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Ate in Eno the weekend, 4th visit there & always the same, great restaurant, very good food, expensive but just about worth it, poor service. Staff not rude or unhelpful, just seem inexperienced. Will defnitely be going back though

• Registered Users Posts: 31 realtinh

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the Left Bank are doing a deal of three courses (starter, dinner, dessert) and a glass of beer/soft drink for €15.

Have gone a few times, excellent value, and they give quite large portions as well,
    so they aren't cutting corners.

Myself and my partner went into the Left Bank one Sunday and noticed the set menu. It was €17.95 for 3 courses. Lots of choice in the main courses, and I have to say, the food was lovely. Best beef I have tasted in a long time. Staff were very helpful and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed and quiet. I had never tried the place before, but I would definitely go back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Sorry to jump in here again with my Left Bank comments, just people had questions relating to it.

Was there again recently and did get three courses and a glass of beer (or soft drink) for €15.

Said Wednesday to Sunday on the menu if I remember correctly.

Just to say, think this is an early bird menu, before 7.

Always go for dinner early myself, so never really take this into account.

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

LCD wrote: »
    Ate in Eno the weekend, 4th visit there & always the same, great restaurant, very good food, expensive but just about worth it, poor service. Staff not rude or unhelpful, just seem inexperienced. Will defnitely be going back though

I have to agree with you. The staff are nice they just haven't got a clue. Everytime I go there thats my only complaint.

Once however it worked in our favour. I paid for dinner for 4 of us and the waitress never put the card through. Don't know what happened but I never got charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Fuschia House in Ardee, €25 for 3 courses plus glass of wine or beer. Great selection of Indian and more traditional Irish foo. The food is very enjoyable & staff always very helpful. Was a strange 5mins when music went from normal background stuff to heavy dance music!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Not sure if I am putting this in right spot but anyway.....

Was in Dundalk stadium last night at a work function and have to say the food was superb. The service was good also.

While its not a place you would probably go out to for a meal with the O/H the food was better than I have had in some restaurants.

There was about 15 in our party the starters were all excellent and Steak, Hake and Chicken were the mains and all very good. There was also no problems with extras at the side. Of the 45 plates our party had only 1 complaint about one of the desserts.

Very good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Has anyone tried The Windmill yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

This has fallen way down the tracks with other threads creeping up on the topic so I am bumping it up.

Was in 32 the other night.

Small wee place and the door was on the go a lot and slamming shut. In the same breath and despite an easily confused waitress, a very good feed and quite reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We always seemed to be seated in the doorway when in no 32. It led to frustrating meals. I think the menu is limited and overpriced myself. Not one of my favourites but it's all down to individual tastes, otherwise we'd only have one restaurant in the town. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I've always had a good dish in Johnny Mason's, and I've been a few times. Only thing I can say about it is that there doesn't always seem to be a massive selection.

I've eaten at Darver Castle too, and their food is absolutely delicious. Went for dinner with my partner for our anniversairy and they cooked a mean steak. Went back with the whole family and every one of us (7 of us) got a different main course, everything was perfect.

As far as Chineses go, pretty much got out of all of them. My favourite was always the Golden Dragon. Mullens by Jocelyn Street was always a go-to for the deep fried mars bars :p

Had lunch at the Windsor once, got a fantastic lasagne.

• Advertisement

Yes, Darver is excellent. Never had anything but a superb meal and great service there. Seems reasonably priced too. One of my favourites.

Yes, Darver is excellent. Never had anything but a superb meal and great service there. Seems reasonably priced too. One of my favourites.

Actually looking at booking the wedding there based on the service we got. You get a distinct impression that its more expensive than it actually is!

Love Darver. Was at a really nice wedding there.

Love the Windsor. Always a good feed!

We always seemed to be seated in the doorway when in no 32.

Must be reserved for Boardsies so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Whats the story with the left bank and the early bird special?

What time does it start at and how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 M.A.G

Darver seems a popular choice here but i think its very average. Jackies,Eno and the Lisdoo steakhouse would be my top 3.I love the Foodhouse too,as day restaurants go,it's the best. Jackies food is top notch,great value and the best steak in town.

The Lisdoo does a great steak however I was always disappointed with their dessert menu. But good service and cosy venue.
    Eno is far too expensive and is a glorified pizzeria.
    Jackie's has good food but the service is dire. The room seems very dark as well - I like to see what I'm eating.:)

Lisdoo restaurant is Blackstone now.

Quite nice but as Keith put it, it looks like a Panda got shot in the face and he's quite right.

Other half and I went there two weeks ago and it was lovely. I'm hard to fill and I was stuffed leaving. "Four course meal for €25" with Tea / Coffee being one of those courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

is there a menu online anywhere for the new lisdoo place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

event wrote: »
    is there a menu online anywhere for the new lisdoo place?

No theres no online menu, which is a disgrace. They have no problem posting up a new carvery menu every single day on Facebook though.
    You could just message them an ask.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

i was in a cafe between the Ballymac roundabout and the Statoil Petrol Station (opposite side) in a garden centre, best sambo I've had in years. 3 choices on the menu. I opted for the one with egg. Lo and behold out comes my sambo with a fresly boiled soft egg in the middle of it.

Can't wait to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Keith wrote: »
    No theres no online menu, which is a disgrace. They have no problem posting up a new carvery menu every single day on Facebook though.
    You could just message them an ask.

Cheers
    I think its shocking that every restaurant doesnt have either a website or a FB page with their full menu on it

event wrote: »
    Cheers
    I think its shocking that every restaurant doesnt have either a website or a FB page with their full menu on it

Yeah its really poor form, it just drives away business, the Jeft Banks' website has been 'under construction' for about 6 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

What time does the early bird menu start in the left bank at ?

James__10 wrote: »
    What time does the early bird menu start in the left bank at ?

5:30 i think, its only weekdays too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Birthday week so very grateful for a couple of dining opportunities of late! The Station in Lordship have a once a month tapas weekend and thisvwas beyond lovely/genorous/affordable. Couldn't fault it! Perfect sharing evening and beautifullypresented. Top notch imust say and well worth a visit. Then tonight we dropped on to lisdoo steakhouse......cant recall new name since refurb but I think the pics on site do little for it. Its much much more sedate than it appears in those. Very classy in fact. Set menu as before and still great quality. Steak was cooked to perfection. I think this place is very underrated simply because of its attachment to pub. Ppl think its just an extention of pub. Its a stand out alone restaurant in itself in my opinion. And the staff are always very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 07472161

Hi, just moved to Dundalk, where is the best place to go for a hot wrap/lasagne & side salad type thing (when I'm not in the mood to cook dinner basically!). I have tried a few places and have come away quite disappointed!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

07472161 wrote: »
    Hi, just moved to Dundalk, where is the best place to go for a hot wrap/lasagne & side salad type thing (when I'm not in the mood to cook dinner basically!). I have tried a few places and have come away quite disappointed!

Thanks

Would recommend the Food House on Clanbrassil Street.

Don't see if it was mentioned here, but anyone got any info on La Cantina?
    We're gonna be in Dundalk next Saturday and I've never eaten at an Italian restaurant, was wondering if it was any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

07472161 wrote: »

Thanks

where have you tried? quite a few places do a decent bit of luch. For wraps/lasagnes the likes of park cafe in the retail park is good, and cheap, in town, panama is good, so is the market bar, little bit more expensive than the likes of park cafe and the food house is probably the best, but will be the most expensive. Outside town, in blackrock belles tea rooms is a nice spot with nice food. prices would be average enough.

Also kingfisfher in town is a chippers but does wraps and the likes and can be fairly cheap and decent food aswell.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Don't see if it was mentioned here, but anyone got any info on La Cantina?
    We're gonna be in Dundalk next Saturday and I've never eaten at an Italian restaurant, was wondering if it was any good?

Love la cantina. Brilliant little restraunt with lovely food.

All you really need to know is that its been open and popular in town for the best part of 15-20 years now i think. Not many other places can make that claim...

Advertisement