Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

interesting. best of luck to anyone with the billiards to open a new restaraunt in current smelly economic climate.

LOL. Very very true.

I'll keep an eye out for that restaurant at the weekend and see what they're up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tIS hImSelF

I see people in the comments above raving about the windsor.....here is my opinion of the windsor from my last visit:

- waited for an hour and a half before getting a table (would of been longer if I had'nt of complained to the Barman)
    - when we did get taken into the restaurant we were given a table for 4 that was still not cleared
    - new forks and knives were placed down as if we were eating our tea at home.
    - wrong bottle of wine -TWICE - COME ON!!!
    - Food eventually came out - can't fault it....twas lovely, chicken was gorgeous.
    - Ask for a dessert menu, because it was 11.00 we got a dirty look. (Bearing in mind we had been there from 8pm)
    - were not offered tea and coffee after our dessert
    - bill came to €150 or so for 4 people.
    Walked out and said never again. That was over a year ago and still have'nt been back

Looking forward to this Left bank opening, heard its the previous owners of the Cube Restaurant - which I loved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭StiffLitlemicky

I was in the restaurant at the race track a few weeks ago, it was
    very nice with great service and not to expensive, there was also plenty of fine fillies to look at :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

as tIS hImSelF said the new Left Bank over Courtney's is been run by the former Cube owners. heard it's opening this week, Wednesday i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The Monasterboice Inn also known as Donegans just outside Dundalk on your way to Drogheda is delicious.

The steak is unlike anything i have ever eaten anywhere in or around Dundalk.

By far my favorite place to eat in Louth.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

opr wrote: »
    The Monasterboice Inn also known as Donegans just outside Dundalk on your way to Drogheda is delicious.

Opr

It's about 17 miles south of Dundalk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

Opr

do you work there, cause i think it's severely over rated and if you were getting a taxi from dundalk you'd be 'just outside' 50 odd quid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Opr

It's actually one place I avoid. The food is terrible and it's like an old fashioned Eating House. Completely over-rated.
    I agree that the steak is unlike anywhere else - it's rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

OK back to Dundalk.

Woke on Sunday a little worse for drink so we decided to go out and have a proper fry so our Journey began.
    New Cafe in the Retail park closed.
    Roma closed
    Ma Brady's closed
    Friar Tuck's opened with full breakfast menu so happy days ( Not )

Tomatoes were cold, don't know what meat was in the sausages, the white pudding was like cheese and the bread came un-toasted.

The mug of tea was very nice but won't be back there for breakfast.
    €24 for 3 of us!! It will be 3 breakfast rolls from the Avenue road next time.

Well, in fariness you should have know better than to go in to Friar Tucks!

Would you not hit the Crown Plaza or any other hotel for breakfast?

• Advertisement

Would you not hit the Crown Plaza or any other hotel for breakfast?

Never actually crossed my mind to try a hotel, Good thinking!!

We have tried take-away food (Curry chips/chicken boxes etc..) from Friar Tucks and it was ok so I guess breakfast just isn't their strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Opr

It's actually one place I avoid. The food is terrible and it's like an old fashioned Eating House. Completely over-rated.
    I agree that the steak is unlike anywhere else - it's rotten.

Couldnt agree more. Poor food, crap service and their idea of a steak is to give you the biggest piece of meat they can find and incinerate it.

Back on topic.
    Beautiful new chinese in Blackrock, just up from the Stone House, which has to be the nicest place to eat in the area. Never got a bad meal in the Stone House.
    Never liked the Windsor.
    The Lisdoo is probably on a par with Donegans. Terrible food.
    Little Italian across from Brubakers is quite nice, but the menu is very limited.
    Capitano Corellis in Carlingford is the best Italian around. Great food, good service, great owner and not too hard on the pocket.
    Fitzpatricks, I see it got pub of the year a couple of years ago. must have been the year of foot and mouth and the judges got stuck in Lordship. Mediocre at best and full of horrible people who have to be heard over everyone else.
    Sextons is ok.
    Jackies seems to have finally got the message and closed. It started off ok, but went downhill very quickly. Maybe the chef taking off had something to do with that. :D
    The Punjab is very nice, takeaway up the street is even better.
    But why isnt there one decent chippy in Dundalk? they are all terrible, undercooked chips and miserable portions.

TommyT wrote: »
    But why isnt there one decent chippy in Dundalk? they are all terrible, undercooked chips and miserable portions.

Actually I think we're spoilt with all the good chippies we have here.
    Roma, Park st.
    Kierans, Chapel st.
    Mullens, everywhere
    Tony's, Avenue rd. (Large portion yes)
    Molocca's, Ramparts
    O'Hanlons, Barrack st.
    etc.........

avoid Burger King & McDonalds. KFC is hit and miss.

Endless amount of good Chinese take-aways. Youngs, Church st. top of the list for taste and quality but very expensive and no delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think there's loads of lovely chippies-mmmmm! Nice thick chips not the wee skinny hard ones you get everywhere else. I know someone who travels a lot in Ireland and says Dundalk has the best selection of places to eat of all the places he's been.

Every single bag of chips in Dundalk are undercooked. The best chips in the world are home made, golden brown, with plenty of salt. The only place to get anything like home cooked chips is Ned Kellys in Newry.

Tom Maloccas has to be the worlds first diet chippy. Smallest portions in the country. It reminds me of a scene from little britain, where Marjorie from Fat Fighters is recommending to eat half a bag of chips so you only get half the fat.

The best chips in the world are;

eaten walking home half three in the morning doused in salt and vinegar and owned by someone else!

head down to joe o hanlons chippy on barrack st at lunchtime for a superb bag of chips. dont bother in the evening - they seem to make the chips fresh for lunchtime and re-heat them in the evening,you can taste the difference. i have always found that for some reason joes chips go particularly well with a fried egg.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pilgrimace

so places to eat in the town eh? gotta say there are quite a few to choose from to cater for many moods, tastes and budgets.....

then as you venture slightly outside towards blackrock, carlingford etc there are even more.

off the top of my head in no particular order....

Number 32: fab value early bird (and all day monday). nice menu, which changes pretty often. good friendly staff, nice intimate atmosphere. fine dining. one of my favourites.

Rosso: another fine dining experience. my fav place in town. tis on the expensive side but I have yet to be disappointed. a place i go when i am lookin to treat myself.

Quaglinos: used to be the place in town. now over the century bar. nice dining room, nice food. not as popular as it used to be so can be a bit quiet side.

Riva: I like this place during the day. This location has suffered under various owners, struggling with the menu and quality of service. Current incarnation seems to be a pretty decent, good value middle of the road proposition.

Jade: Chinese restaurant. the food is decent (though i prefer their takeaway across the road). i dislike the décor and am not a fan or the place, but it remains very popular.

Jade Adelphi: cousin of the original Jade. Slightly nicer dining room, slightly better service.

Punjab: Fav late night restaurant. Great service, the guys are very friendly. I find it great value with a nice range of dishes.

McGeoughs: pretty good pub grub right in the centre of the town. Very busy for lunch and the serve up till 9 during the week. I like to pop in here for tea of a Tuesday...

Lisdoo: several options under the one roof. Sometimes carvery, pub grub in the bar and then the steak house on the other side. Not a fan of carvery so I pass on that. Love the pub grub, decent grub at good prices. The steakhouse is also pretty good. A step above most of the pub grub in the town.

Windsor: great pub grub, probably best steak in town. i personally hate the queuing system they have so i only tend to hang around if it is quite, but i always walk out full and satisfied.

Villa Toscana: decent Italian food at pretty reasonable prices. this place is more hit than miss.

La Cantina: another Italian spot. have been less lucky with my experiences here but many people rave about the place.

Crowne Plaza: two options here, the bar downstairs which is nice and relaxed with a pretty good value menu. Upstairs is more formal with a slightly more up market menu. Food and service is pretty good and the views are amazing.

Eno: one of the newer places in town, wine bar that does a small italian menu. pizzas and pasta and some pretty fine antipasta dishes. place is small (or intimate, depending on the mood), but the staff are very attentive and enthusiastic. they also open pretty late at the weekends.

happy dining :D

pil

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

No such thing as an oven or hob in Pilgrimaces house then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

just an update on that "Left Bank" restaurant due to open over Courtney's I've heard it's opening on Bank Holiday Friday (this month)

• Advertisement

No such thing as an oven or hob in Pilgrimaces house then!

LOL!! wouldn;'t that be nice

has anyone been to the new mizu place in Jocelyn street. i hear it's lovely inside? very classy. anyone know the opening hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Even though I’m not a great fan of the food in Villa Toscana, I ventured there on Saturday night for a bite. Really like the place in general and my meal was delish. Good service that isn’t falsely nice. They provide a nice dining experience, you could say.
    Haven’t heard anything about this Left Bank place. Is it French? Have to try it out.
    Don’t really like the Punjab tbh. Never been blown away by the food, always thought it was a bit bland. Love Indian food but it was just ok anytime I went there.

Captain Corellis in Carlingford is now closed. Fancied an Italian last night, so we called out only to find out it has closed. There is another restaurant in its place, cant remember the name, but the food was quite good if a little pricey.

ibh wrote: »
    Even though I’m not a great fan of the food in Villa Toscana, I ventured there on Saturday night for a bite. Really like the place in general and my meal was delish. Good service that isn’t falsely nice. They provide a nice dining experience, you could say.
    Haven’t heard anything about this Left Bank place. Is it French? Have to try it out.
    Don’t really like the Punjab tbh. Never been blown away by the food, always thought it was a bit bland. Love Indian food but it was just ok anytime I went there.

Been to Villa Toscana a few times and while the service was good and the food was fine, nothing was hot! everything ordered came tepid. in fact i ordered a roasted veg starter thing and it was so cold i actually thought it came that way purposely only to find out it was supposed to be served hot!
    Somebody said that new left bank place 'is something dundalk has never seen before' though i'm not sure if the person in question had a vested interest in saying so, we'll have to wait and see. as regard punjab, i never consider going there as going for a meal, it's just somewhere you pop into for a bite. i always feel like i'm being watched too! They just stand back and stare down at you. love the jade but the staff don't over do the niceness do they, not rude as such, but very sour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Donotpassgo

I like the Malt House on a Sunday, not before 3 o'clock though as the only veg option is horrible mush cabbage and mush carrots.
    If you go after 4:30 on a Sunday you get the same meal for the same price except you get a nice dish of al dente carrots, broccoli and cauliflower (for any one that likes veg :))

Rosso is my favourite restaurant if I need a treat/fancy night out

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Also was in that Saturday night 8:30! Main course came after 45 min wait, no sign of the starters! Seemed a bit chaotic to me service wise although the food was lovely indeed. Would go back surely.

Also was in that Saturday night 8:30! Main course came after 45 min wait, no sign of the starters! Seemed a bit chaotic to me service wise although the food was lovely indeed. Would go back surely.

Was there 3 weeks ago. Started well then got burned Fillet Mignons. Nobody came to take a dessert order and sevice generally was slow. I'd go back but not in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Had lunch in Fitzpatricks the other day. The two of us just had soup... Soup of the day and the French Onion soup.

Soup of the day was just regular non descript veg soup and the french onion soup is definately not for those with blood pressure issues as it was so salty, you'd probably float in it! Unlike the cheesy toasted bread which had sunk to the bottom of the bowl long before we'd even parked the car I'd say, and had turned into a kind of dumpling.

The bread that came with the soup, was definately yesterdays... but for 6 quid each... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

yea i spoke to one of the ladies that works / runs it afterwards in Brubakers and she said that 2 members of service staff didn't show up, hence the craziness on the night.

I really like the people in there cause they are not at all false. You could see the sh't was hitting the fan and they don't try and hide it. Mediterranian temprements!!

• Advertisement

yea i spoke to one of the ladies that works / runs it afterwards in Brubakers and she said that 2 members of service staff didn't show up, hence the craziness on the night.

I really like the people in there cause they are not at all false. You could see the sh't was hitting the fan and they don't try and hide it. Mediterranian temprements!!

Isnt the girl that runs the place from Slovakia?

Advertisement