Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

TommyT wrote: »
    Isnt the girl that runs the place from Slovakia?

I really have no idea, i just assumed she was Italian because of the restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

nobodies mentioned the new left bank place since it opened. Anyone been yet ? any reviews?

was in adelphi jade for first time since it opened, way back. i think i prefer the athmosphere in the old one. though the portions were bigger. was very slow service wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

as someone eluded to earlier everyones taste is different and it depends what your after
    best chippy:mamma romas buy a country mile people travel for miles to queue for a burger
    best restaurant: i cant fault the windsor i know it can get busy but its worth the wait home made chips are a nice touch
    best chineese:has to be the curry house (formerly the lucky house across from the windsor)is expensive for a curry but delicious
    best fry up:i know its out of dundalk but the thatch cottage in castlebellingham does a great breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Using your headings:

best chippy:Have to agree with the Roma
    best restaurant: Jade Garden( I know, its Chinese but not picking it for the curry)
    best chineese:Youngs, Church street
    best fry up; Ma Brady's but haven't been in there in a while to say if its still as good

Using your headings:

best chippy:Have to agree with the Roma
    best restaurant: Jade Garden( I know, its Chinese but not picking it for the curry)
    best chineese:Youngs, Church street
    best fry up; Ma Brady's but haven't been in there in a while to say if its still as good

Best chippy; to sit in, the roma can't be beaten but for takeaway the ole one is a bit odd, she'll talk to you one day and be really rude the next.

Tea/Coffee
    Went to Mizu for coffee on saturday, isn't it absolutely devine!
    nicest coffee i've had this side of the states. and the decor is fabulous. love the idea for having a few glasse of vino and a bit of cheese in the evenings after work!!!

Best Restaurant; For me it's lacantina for athmosphere more so than food and it depends on who's head chef for the night, i think they change them round and sometimes they're a bit miserble with the portions but all in all it's the one i always return to.

Best Chinese; the sun house (beside roma) has the nicest springrolls in the world, and the curry is massive. pity they don't do any seafood.

Best fry up; Can't pass aqua in blackrock, good clean pleasantly served breakfast.

P.s Never been to youngs....it looks like a right dive from the outside? is it nicer than the outside suggests?

• Advertisement

bettedavis wrote: »
    P.s Never been to youngs....it looks like a right dive from the outside? is it nicer than the outside suggests?

Agree with you about the look but that whole area needs a facelift.

Their curry with fried rice is the nicest ever and we've tried every chinese in town (we're actually spoilt with the number of good ones we have) however they are a bit pricey and do not deliver:mad:

Try it once and you'll agree. Even a 3-in-1 next time your passing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you want a good currry go to an Indian, not a Chinese.

If you want a good currry go to an Indian, not a Chinese.

Is that because they put in an extra 'r' ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Puppies

Update on Left Bank, I had the pleasure of dining there lastnight. Was hands down the best meal i've had in a long time. All meat, fish chicken etc locally produced. 1 recommendation leave room for dessert. All staff very helpful without being clingy. Well worth a visit.

Sounds like I'll be heading to the Left Bank soon myself, the missus was there for lunch and enjoyed it, said the á la carte menu looked good too.

Thanks for the report Puppies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

+1 for the Left Bank.

popped in for lunch and it was more than could be expected for lunch. Great place, great service, great food and cheaper than a bar lunch!!! well worth popping in for lunch in the middle of the day.

Defo be going back to try the night menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

So its good value at lunchtime then? Have the day off on Monday. Might pop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Pasta dishes were €7.95 and were full portions. There was a steak sambo on at lunch time also and it was a proper lump of steak in a bun. Looked huge when it passed!! Similarly for a fish & chip option. Menu was varied to cater for those who like "Restaurant" food and those who like "Pub Grub" for want of a better expression. some starters are lunches in themselves for €4.95. Soup of the day at €3.95. Very good value for a proper restaurant, and very good service too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 desm14

Was in Left Bank for dinner last Friday night and thought it was pure quality. I'm not a Dundalk resident but have been visiting from Belfast for a few years after marrying a Dundalk girl. I've been impressed with recent additions to the Dundalk restaurant list such as the one at the top of the Crowne Plaza and the one at the race track in terms of quality of service, variety of food and prices. The left bank is one of my favourites now. Has a really good varied menu that catered for our (slightly fussy - some ould folks involved) party of 4. I thought the food was brilliant and the cost was OK. 150euro for 4 people (3 courses + 2 drinks each). Service was a hell of a lot better than many other places I've been to recently, waitress couldn't do enough for us without being in our faces all the time and was patient and understanding when things off the menu were asked for. Other waitresses actually smiled when you made eye contact!! I swear!! Only gripe I had was that there was only a selection of 2 draught beers from the bar but it's hardly a gripe is it. We had a booth next to the doors to the kitchen and that didn't even bother us because the food and service was so good. I'm going on a bit about it now but I feel I have to because some places have been peddling sh1te in the last few years and charging you for the pleasure. I just think good efforts nowadays need to be rewarded with praise!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Had lunch in The Left Bank twice and it was the best I've ever had in Dundalk.

Reasonable prices and quality food! :)

Hope they do well, they should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 poccocurante

There's a small new resto ANJEU (or something like that) near the Cathedrale in Dundalk town centre, just opened instead of false Italian like "da Roberto" if you remember...Well, small place, fresh painted, looks empty, but they serve CAESAR CHICKEN SALAD best i ever had and for only 6,95eur main course size...

Being not very fond of chicken, found warm pieces of it within this salad extraordinary delicious, really the best Caesar salad i ever had. And it's big enough for two to share.

Also all very cheap: we had salad, two steaks with extra veg, two glasses of red vine - all 48eur in total.

Recommended!!!

Left Bank - a disaster.

A group of us went over Christmas. The service was terrible and the food was really no better. Everything was over-seasoned. Our wine didn't arrive until after we'd finished our starters even though we brought it to the waiter's attention several times. When it did arrive, the bottles were dropped and the waiter ran, I had to call them back to serve it. It was a restricted Christmas menu so I will give it another chance in the new year. Not expecting much though.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Had works lunch in Left Bank Dec 23rd. Sat down at 12.40 and didn't get out til 2.30 :rolleyes: The food was very nice albeit small portions and the staff seemed to be running about but it is a long time for a lunch. 20 mins between courses at least! That said I would try it again perhaps for evening menu though. Not expensive either, starter steak and desert was about 25 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

Rosso: another fine dining experience. my fav place in town. tis on the expensive side but I have yet to be disappointed. a place i go when i am lookin to treat myself.
    Staff and great too!

went to adelphi jade for new years eve and had the best time. food was fab, service was without complaint and at midnight they served complimentary champagne, gave out new year parapenalia and the like. have to say will defo do it again next year. worked out about 40 euro a head, which was the cheapest new years eve i've had in a long time. hadn't been expecting it to be that good as i was there once before and was a bit disapointed but it was exceptional this time. enjoyed it so much went back for a takeaway the next night. i'm now officially a fat bitch ! diet starts here !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

was in number 32 last night for the early bird menu, very good.
    staff were excellent, and food was great.

we had asked to be seated upstairs, as sat their last time and its lovely. only complaint was that it was a little cold.

but its a great place, like it a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Heading to Rosso myself on Wednesday. Haven't been there in over a year. Any new additions to the menu?

Yup, there was a mushroom risotto with rabbit which was beautiful to start with. There was also a few new mains too. The specials are always great also. I can't get enough of Rosso.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Right, ok......

Being someone that isnt from Dundalk but will be going there in the next couple of weeks to meet someone and have some dinner mayb....where is there good resturant (where being the important word!!)

Love Italian or a nice steak.........any suggestions?? Thanks guys :o

Rosso, in my experience, is far and away the best restaurant in Dundalk. It may be slightly more expensive than other options but well worth in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pippin22

I had a few bad experiences in the Leftbank.. Im not from Dundalk but when i heard a new french style restaurant was opening i decided to try it.The service was ridiculous!! Like another post said the wine arrived after maybe the 4th time we asked for it, It was plonked on the table already open. The food arrived destroyed in salt. We were charged for side portions which they forgot to bring even though they were reminded a few times. When a girl asked us if everything was ok we politely said no the food is over seasoned and the service isnt great.. She basically smiled said ok and walked away!!!!!
    When it came to paying we had to point out all the mistakes on the bill..Ah it was a disaster from start to finish!!! My friends who hadnt tried the restaurant wanted to go , so i thought Id travel over and give it another go and put the first experience down to the fact it was newly opened.
    Again crazy bad service and over seasoned food even though we had asked for less salt on our steaks.
    Its such a beautiful restaurant in terms of decor etc Its such a pity they cant sort their staff out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkeyjr

Was in Weirs in Seatown on Sat night - new restaurant above Donnelly's pub. Food excellent and reasonably priced - just newly opened. Was talking to owner (ex Diep le Shaker in dublin) - very impressed. He also does lunches in bar and while I didn't sample it, the curry is supposed to be very good. May open a take away down the line - Thai/ Vietnamese. Fingers crossed as Dundalk is crying out for a decent take away.
    But, highly recommend Weirs and hope they ride out the recession and are here for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I think Dundalk has loads of great takeaways, from chinese, to pizza to chippers.:) Chinese - my favourite. Youngs-delicious, bit pricey though. Can't fault New World, lovely curry, loads of chips, very reasonable. I like Cheungs too and New Ocean. There's another on the Castletown road that's nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

for a lunch. i think the park cafe in the finnabair park is a lovely place, i go there when im working and its a great wee place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

event wrote: »
    for a lunch. i think the park cafe in the finnabair park is a lovely place, i go there when im working and its a great wee place

I like that place too. Had a few lunches in it. Grand for a big fry up on a Sat morn too.:)

Advertisement