Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

myself and the missus went to left bank on sunday evening-our first and last visit. my partner is a vegetarian and i dont eat red meat so we found we had a choice of only a handful of over-priced dishes,bad start. french onion soup for starters was ok at best. the soup was served with a bowl of bread but no sideplates to put bread on which we had to ask for. for maincourse my partner had a plate of dull tomato and herb pasta and i ordered the stuffed seabass. 5 minutes later i am informed that the seabass is off, no big deal so i ordered one of the specials - ' fish and chips' . i was served a plateload of tasteless,greasy and overcooked slop. for a tenner less i could have bought a far superior fish supper in any bogstandard chippy.
    besides the RUBBISH food there were a lot of small things which irked me about the place :

as i mentioned above, serving soup and bread with no sideplates-bad move.

across two courses we were supplied with one tiny paper serviette each.

the staff, who seem and very young and probably inexperienced, shout to eachother across the room.

the decor is a bizarre cacophany of styles and a bit tasteless.

upon leaving the place and walking down the stairs, to your right just inside the door you are greeted with a plant inside a glass display which looks like it has been dead since haloween. this grim spectacle kinda sums up the place for me. AMATUERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irishmk

Have to agree with everything above poster has said
    about the left bank.
    Diaster from start to finish. Service was very poor, food was very poor(Steaks were bland and tasteless) Not to mention overpriced.
    Cant believe the place was packed, is their a lack of good restaurants in dundalk?

irishmk wrote: »
    Have to agree with everything above poster has said
    about the left bank.
    Diaster from start to finish. Service was very poor, food was very poor(Steaks were bland and tasteless) Not to mention overpriced.
    Cant believe the place was packed, is their a lack of good restaurants in dundalk?

i think dundalk has some world class restaurants, its one of the things i love about the town. the punjab house, villa toscana, no.32, rosso, the malthouse and even mc geoghs on a good day - all great restaurants. there is already a lot of great places to eat in town, i reckon left bank will close within a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

You really need to get out more if you think any of the above are "world class"

TommyT wrote: »

fair enough maybe thats a bit of an overstatement. but as for the punjab house - i have eaten in indian restaurants in ireland,england,holland,thailand,austrailia and new zealand, and the punjab was as good if not better than any of them. so yes tommy turnips, i would say world class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

fair enough maybe thats a bit of an overstatement. but as for the punjab house - i have eaten in indian restaurants in ireland,england,holland,thailand,austrailia and new zealand, and the punjab was as good if not better than any of them. so yes tommy turnips, i would say world class.

well you'd be wrong.

world class, so some of the best in the world?

there's so much wrong with that statement its untrue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

haven't eaten in many indian restaurants but i'd be sorely disappointed if i thought the punjab was 'world class'.........it's alright to drop into while on the town but i would never arrange a group night out there, the atmosphere and the service is uncomfortable in my opinion.

was in the windsor for the millionth time last week but was disappointed to find they've stop doing the cheese board for dessert .... always looked forward to that and not many places do it. on the plus side the baked stuffed mussels for starter are devine, they were possibly on steroids ! massive and gorgeous.

given the reviews here i won't be heading to left bank . i see the 4 lanterns is being renovated.....the kingfisher opening soon............bizarre time to launch a new restaurant but we'll see ! anyone any more details on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkeyjr

Def agree re atmosphere in the Punjab - owner stands at counter staring at you - and you can hear a pin drop. There never seems to be more than 3 tables occupied. Quality is middling - problem is that there isn't enough indian restaurants in the town to compare - in Dublin the quality is far superior. Prices are too high also.
    Am sorry to hear reviews about Left Bank - have been in it a few times and thought it was great. Prices v quality were good. Can't believe the Jade garden is doing so well - reminds me of Chinese takeaways when they first started in the early 90's or so - bad quality, gloopy msg sauces and to top it all, rushing you to get out so they can seat new customers. Never again! What's this about the Kingfisher opening? Any more info?
    And the 4 Lanterns?

monkeyjr wrote: »
    And the 4 Lanterns?

no sorry i should have clarified, i meant that where the 4 lanterns was is been turned into the kingfisher
    :)

yeah they really stare you out in the punjab, it's even worse when there are more staff on, they all stand there. I mean if i want something the place isn't that big that they wouldn't hear or see me if they stood at the reception area or stood just casually chatting, but they stand beefeater style watching you. also if there does happen to be one other table occupied they'll seat you right next to it rather than anywhere else (hate when restaurants do this) which is particularly annoying because as you said the silence is deafening so you feel you can't speak without everyone hearing and vice versa.

bettedavis wrote: »
    haven't eaten in many indian restaurants but i'd be sorely disappointed if i thought the punjab was 'world class'.........it's alright to drop into while on the town but i would never arrange a group night out there, the atmosphere and the service is uncomfortable in my opinion.

was in the windsor for the millionth time last week but was disappointed to find they've stop doing the cheese board for dessert .... always looked forward to that and not many places do it. on the plus side the baked stuffed mussels for starter are devine, they were possibly on steroids ! massive and gorgeous.

given the reviews here i won't be heading to left bank . i see the 4 lanterns is being renovated.....the kingfisher opening soon............bizarre time to launch a new restaurant but we'll see ! anyone any more details on it ?

when i refer to the punjab OBVIOUSLY i am talking about the food only. only a retard could call the punjab house a fine dining experience with its staring staff ( i always make sure i'm seated with my back to them) and its fresh vomit colour scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Anyone ever tried ENO? Food is excellent, but the staff leave a lot to be desired (in particular the lady whom I believe is the owner). Always rude and both times have been there screwed up my order, without any apology or even admitting it on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

You can never go wrong with The Jade or The Adelphi Jade, good food and great service. Go into the Jade any sat nite....no sign of a recession there.
    Also big fan of the punjab, although it is quite small and can be over packed.
    Another favourite of mine is McGee's Bistro in Carlingford, i have no faults what so ever, we always go here for a special occassion.
    The Brake (break?) in Blackrock is also great for an meal in the evening, laid back and relaxing atmosphere.
    Rivo is nice for a quick snack during the day.

All in all Dundalk/louth have some really good places to pick from

LCD wrote: »
    Anyone ever tried ENO? Food is excellent, but the staff leave a lot to be desired (in particular the lady whom I believe is the owner). Always rude and both times have been there screwed up my order, without any apology or even admitting it on their behalf.

have heard great things about the food alright but on the other hand have heard bad things re service................hate that ! what they give with one hand they take away with the other ! no business sense in these recessionary times ! Have meant to go in a few times but if i think about it that's whats held me back, i hate when a good evening is ruined by rudeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sammyv

i have been to Eno a few times. not a big fan. I dont think there is much to choose from on the Menu, and i also think there is a snobbish attitude towards some customers. If you are a wine lover, then this would be a good place.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I think in that if the "Original" 4 lanterns (the one from 1981-1996) was back in Business it would do a brilliant trade in these recessionary times - Was in Letterkenny recently and the taste of a Big 4 brought those memories flooding back !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Went to the Windsor last weekend. We had to wait over an hour for a table because they don't take bookings for some reasons and it was packed after the rugby.

Despite the wait it was lovely. Beautiful food and the restaurant itself is lovely. My brother got the Chili Chicken and won't stop talking about it so I'd probably recommend that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭WildIrishRose

What do you think of the service in e.g
    Rosso
    Riva
    Eno
    No 32 ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

TommyT wrote: »

too true, too true... though i guess if your world starts and stops on three exits on the m1 then hey what do you know.. world class it is.

but have to thank rosso for lifting the wee town from the quagmire of frozen chips served as homemade and reheated carvary roasts from previous incarnations and peoples you got to stop lapping that stuff up. from a health and safety point of view, it surely isn't good for you.

by the by what is the chances of el bulli opening one of their fast food outlets in dundalk, because we do need a good burger.

was in mcgeoughs at roden place yesterday evening for tea. always nice, always get the smoked salmon. one thing though, and i've noticed a few places are now doing this, but i always used to get a 1/4 bottle of red (mcguigans incidentally) anyway yesterday when i asked for it, she said,' oh we don't do bottles anymore, here is the wine list (per glass or full bottle) all the wines were unrecognisable to me and all between 6 and 650+ per glass. and then the glass that arrives isn;t what i would call a wine glass, it's more of a sherry type smaller glass. this kinda P**ses me off, not least because i don't know if the bottle she's pouring it from has been opened for 3 minutes or three weeks, and who's to say it's not the same wine regardless of what you ask for. It just strikes me as meaness on the part of the owner, to make as much money as possible. i wonder does the same apply at night time when they no longer serve food, if i ordered a 1/4 bottle would they serve me a glass. It not hugely important but annoying at the same time.

went to the lisdoo steakhouse midweek ( they're doing a €25 euro a head 4 course midweek)............it was absolutely fantastic ! starter main dessert tea coffee all without fault from any of the 4 of us. huge portions, any amount of side orders and steak cooked to perfection. my only minor gripe was the weird steak knives they provide. big blunt things, the commoner garden ones they provide in the bar are much better. all in all it was the best meal i've had for a long time. can't beat 25 quid a head ! i'd wholeheartedly recommend it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

went to the lisdoo steakhouse midweek ( they're doing a €25 euro a head 4 course midweek)............it was absolutely fantastic ! starter main dessert tea coffee all without fault from any of the 4 of us. huge portions, any amount of side orders and steak cooked to perfection. my only minor gripe was the weird steak knives they provide. big blunt things, the commoner garden ones they provide in the bar are much better. all in all it was the best meal i've had for a long time. can't beat 25 quid a head ! i'd wholeheartedly recommend it !

Wow, i love the Lisdoo steakhouse, had no idea of this promotion - is it the regular menu or is it a special promotional menu? I love the spring roll starter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Went to Riva for lunch the other day. Was the first time I'd ever been in there and I thought it was gorgeous! Recommend the homeade burger and pepper sauce - wow! Another great thing about it is the building, its stunning! Lovely decor and massive high ceilings. Just lovely all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodies-inc.

Have to agree with you on Riva, been in there a couple of times lately for lunch and it was great, even though it was really busy the staff were polite and on their game, the burger is fab and if you fancy something light they do a great goats cheese bruschetta. Also La Cantina is doing a good early bird menu, food in there is really good lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foodlover2010

i agree the food in riva has really improved in tha last year really good value for money that place always seems packed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 new to the town

Wasn't impressed with Riva - went into it a about a couple of mths ago and had burger n chips - chips were hard and reheated and burger very basic. Very unimpressed for the money. Maybe its improved lately but think Cafe Metz is far superior - The Malt House also does a far better burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

anyone been in the kingfisher yet, think its open now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodies-inc.

Was there yesterday for lunch, it's kinda like an up market roma, the food (especially the homemade burger) was really good and the staff were lovely. Also the take away prices seem really great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Was in Kingfisher over the weekend. Seems nice although I did have a few beers in me!!

Insurgent wrote: »
    Was in Kingfisher over the weekend. Seems nice although I did have a few beers in me!!

ah come on ! elaborate a little bit please !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

ah come on ! elaborate a little bit please !!!!!!!!

It was nice as said. Got a takeway. Chicken burger and chips. Will be heading there for something else during the week. As already said the price was good aswell. Saying that though a friend of mine went into it and din't really like it at all!!

Advertisement