Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodies-inc.

I think what Dundalk really needs is a good pasta bar, that makes and sells homemade pasta and sauces, that you can either eat in or take it home and heat the sauce, boil your pasta and presto .... a proper Italian meal ready in mins, in the comfort of your home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 new to the town

White&Ahern on Park St do great pasta and sauces for sale - and also great parmesean cheese - absolutely delicious to cook yourself but I don't know any great Italian rest in the town. Anyone been in Weirs Bistro in Seatown lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 new to the town

just been to the kingfisher for a takeaway - don't think the Roma have anything to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

White&Ahern on Park St do great pasta and sauces for sale - and also great parmesean cheese - absolutely delicious to cook yourself but I don't know any great Italian rest in the town. Anyone been in Weirs Bistro in Seatown lately?

Avoid the olives though, any time I bought them, they were stale and too pricey. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Najimco

just been to the kingfisher for a takeaway - don't think the Roma have anything to worry about.

The Roma, they have the same knives forks and plates for the last 20 years.. In lovely hospital green! just buy new ones come on... please

Order a club orange get half a bottle of cadet some one didn't drink! yum

See them clear a table where some one didn't finish there chips... see your chips magically appear!

Service with a smile... em your ginger one with the runners lulz

and what is that funky smell when you first walk in? answers on a post card please!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

Najimco wrote: »
    The Roma, they have the same knives forks and plates for the last 20 years.. In lovely hospital green! just buy new ones come on... please

Order a club orange get half a bottle of cadet some one didn't drink! yum

See them clear a table where some one didn't finish there chips... see your chips magically appear!

Service with a smile... em your ginger one with the runners lulz

and what is that funky smell when you first walk in? answers on a post card please!

would disagree wholeheartedly with the above, of all the sitdown places of a similiar type the roma is the best.

the cutlery is stainless steel, and clean as are the plates and cups, unless you get one with a chip or crack why would you complain. if it aint broke don't fix it. anyway i feel the green crockery gives it more of an english caf type feel !

it's ridiculous to suggest that they salvage old food or drink. the fact that it's packed out with people waiting to be seated when there are plently of vacant seats round the corner in the europa is testament to the popularity and quality of the food.

the service from those longer term waitresses has always been very pleasant in my experience. my only gripe with the place isa when buying takeout the owner woman can be a bit dour from time to time.

of all the takewaway sitdown diners to give out about,there are plently higher on the list than the roma.

Well it would be compared to some of the nicer ones..

McGoughs
    Riva
    La canteena
    Top floor of crown plaza

but to be honest I'd head to McDonnalds before the Roma on a where I'd go scale.

vd1kx0.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Najimco wrote: »
    Well it would be compared to some of the nicer ones..

McGoughs
    Riva
    La canteena
    Top floor of crown plaza

Eh!? You're comparing the Roma to some pub-grub joints and restaurants? - does not compute.
    but to be honest I'd head to McDonnalds before the Roma on a where I'd go scale.

'nuff said.

I'd rather lick a toilet seat then go to McDonnalds, just in case you didnt get that part of my post

( i know i shouldn't start a sentence with "and" but here goes )

and what's the bleeding jackanory with that new indian restaurant The Taj ??? it seemed to open for about 3 days and then close again suddenly. now there is a sign in the window saying it is opening again as a takeaway under a different name. probably an issue with their licence ( or lack off ) . anyone hear anything? monkey is PERPLEXED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Aye that caught me out last Saturday night about half ten. Headed down to it from Park Street and it was all in darkness. My buddy had been in the previous week and was impressed, seemingly they also own one in Letterkenny. As a result I have yet to try it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Was back in the Stone House in Blackrock after a long abscence this week. Great craic in the bar great food and excellent service, won`t leave it so long next time, though it is a wee bit pricey.
    Was also in Cafe Metz today for lunch, which was also excellent. I sometimes complain that we dont have enough good places to eat in town, but it seems I overlook the obvious at times.
    The new Chinese/Thai in Blackrock is also very nice, though I have only had takeaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭LittleEve

McGeoughs
    Cafe Metz
    Lisdoo
    Adelphi Jade

Dominos for takeout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I have been to Kingfisher a good few times now and I have to say it was nice. Had the Half Pounder with Chips and the price was good. I also like the Roma.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭louth87

Went to No.32 a while back. Found it to be a pretty good experience overall.

Food was to a pretty high standard, and setting was real nice. Service was only ok, the waiter was a little unsettled when we asked for something that was slightly different from the menu/ and when we asked for a child's portion of one of the dishes, it was met with "the chefs will not be happy". I've worked in restaurants so understand that it probably was true, however no need for the customer to be told this!

As I said though generally quite a good overall experience. Can't think of any other places in Dundalk to comment on really.

Apart from the Roma/Europa on a night out :D
    Malthouse is pretty good for cheap grub too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 DeanW17

just went riva today..got chicken stir fry and really enjoyed it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Went to Darver castle a few weeks back and the service was the worst I have ever experienced.

Handed us the menus and walked away, fair enough.
    Came back to take orders and then told us what wasn't available meaning two of us had to reconsider. Didn't come back to take the new orders - had to be called over.
    Two of us ordered Duck - 10 mins later were told only 1 duck left. 1 of us had to change (again)
    5 minutes later (after re-order) told no duck left (other person had to change)
    Wine arrived and the waitress proceded to top up a glass of water with the wine believing the glass to be empty. She just filled the other (empty) glass, said sorry and put the bottle down and walked off - no replacement glass of wine.
    Food took 40 mins to arrive.
    When we complained to the man behind the bar he claimed he "would look after us" on the bill. When it came to paying he was no where to be found.

Apart from all this the food we got was throughly enjoyable. The chargrilled steaks were delicious and cooked to our stated liking. But it was without doubt the worst experience of service I've ever had and I would not recommend it at all. Shame really because the restuarant itself it spacious and comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

What is it with Dundalk restaurants that have good food, but terrible service. Eno, staff incompetence defies belief and Fitzpatricks, the Ryanair of restaurants where staff are completely indifferent to the paying customers.

I've had a bad experience in Darver as well, though just got up & left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I found Eno to be okay on the service level. Food is lovely in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

The food cant be faulted, its the staff and way place is run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foodlover2010

what is the story with eno,s service everybody in there is so rude and slow you feel like your putting them out when you ask for some thing .also in the foodhouse for breakfast this morning really nice ,good luck to them they are going to need it in this economy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 janks

what is the story with eno,s service everybody in there is so rude and slow you feel like your putting them out when you ask for some thing .also in the foodhouse for breakfast this morning really nice ,good luck to them they are going to need it in this economy!

Couldn't disagree more. I have always found the staff to be knowledgeable, polite and efficient. The food is always good. This place is a great addition to the town.
    The pizzas in eno are the best I've eaten, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

janks wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more. I have always found the staff to be knowledgeable, polite and efficient. The food is always good. This place is a great addition to the town. The pizzas in eno are the best I've eaten, ever.

mmmmmm do you mean THIS place as in 'the place i am now sitting in writing my very first post' ???::rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

bettedavis wrote: »
    mmmmmm do you mean THIS place as in 'the place i am now sitting in writing my very first post' ???::rolleyes:
    First post. Employee perhaps? Owner?

any body been to the foodhouse yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Had a similar but not as bad experience to ShiverinEskimo in Darver castle recently. Same thing one of the dishes we ordered was not available and took over 15 minutes for them to tell us this. It then took no joking the guts of an hour for the food to come after we re-ordered. As Eskimo says its a real pity as the place itself is a great venue and i couldn't fault the food.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

what is the story with eno,s service everybody in there is so rude and slow you feel like your putting them out when you ask for some thing .

You have to be joking. :p

I went to Eno about 2 months ago for the first time and it is everything you say it isn't. The staff are friendly and know their stuff. Service is excellent and the grub's not bad either. Great coffee. I think you may have an axe to grind but don't do it here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

any body been to the foodhouse yet ?

Where is it? I never heard of it.

axe to grind!! i think i have the right to say what i want about my experiences is that not what boards are all about ! ok everywhere in dundalk is delightful is that better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

axe to grind!! i think i have the right to say what i want about my experiences is that not what boards are all about ! ok everywhere in dundalk is delightful is that better!

If you've had a bad experience and someone else had a good experience it means that some of the staff mustn't be up to scratch and some must be great..it's the luck of the draw really.

Advertisement