Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭madra-rua

any body been to the foodhouse yet ?

Yes I've been there ... won't be returning.

The staff were lovely and the restaurant itself is really really nice - just a pity the food wasn't up to scratch. I had a chicken wrap which mostly consisted of lettuce ... It was advertised as a "sweet chilli chicken wrap" or something to that effect but didn't taste a lot of sweet chilli in it. Some of the chicken tasted a bit iffy so I ended up leaving most of it. My friend wanted a toasted sandwich - as far as I can remember it was in the menu as having ham, cheese and tomato, she asked for it without the tomato and they told her that this couldn't be done !! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dundalkbhoy

in the kingfisher yesterday was good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Where is the Foodhouse?

It's the new place in Clanbrassil Street, across the road from Leavy's Opticians....the front of it is like a newsagents / deli and there's a restaurant at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Thanks for the info. Is it more of a deli style sandwich place or a restaurant? Like everything in life mixed reviews here! For every 2 poeple that like a place is 2 that thought it was ok and another 2 that hated it. Would be boring if we all had the same opionon I guess

• Advertisement

There's a takeaway deli at the front of the shop, and in the restaurant at the back the menu is pretty varied, they do soups, sandwiches, wraps etc but also main meals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 WKD Couriers

bettedavis wrote: »
    nobodies mentioned the new left bank place since it opened. Anyone been yet ? any reviews?

was in adelphi jade for first time since it opened, way back. i think i prefer the athmosphere in the old one. though the portions were bigger. was very slow service wise.

Hi, was in the Left bank Sunday for my dinner, absolutely fabulous, really couldn't falt it, the food was superb. going back for a evening meal on Saturday night, will keep you posted. . . .WKD Couriers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

can u tell me why there is nowhere with oysters, being so close to carlingford.

and my dear courier person - the left bank is best left in paris. a rare evening out with the better half, and a foolish recommendation from an acquaintance landed us in the left bank. with the soothing atmosphere of a cheap hongkong bordello (not that i would know what a bordello would look like) bathed in flourescent glow and leftover christmas decorations still in full sight we decended into what can only be described as culinary purgatory. hell we will reserve for the unmentionables.

the proffering of black crab cakes in some unctious creamy muck, soggy breaded veal in more creamy muck - maybe they should just open in halloween and call it edible scariness. the lovely wait staff - who are truly lovely, though the hoe-down plaid uniforms with the brothel interior is pretty out there, apologized for the black crab cakes - they were only burnt and the chef said he was sorry.

i can only say that i was sorry for listening - every place has its bad days and i truly hope that courier person had a lovely time. but its one more sad eatery to add to the do not go's for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nellie1305

I live near Dundalk but have never eaten at the Left Bank.

And until i read this board today i always thought it was called "Jeff Banks", because that what it looks like on the sign outside!!!

(yes - i am blonde too!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

talisker wrote: »
    can u tell me why there is nowhere with oysters, being so close to carlingford.

and my dear courier person - the left bank is best left in paris. a rare evening out with the better half, and a foolish recommendation from an acquaintance landed us in the left bank. with the soothing atmosphere of a cheap hongkong bordello (not that i would know what a bordello would look like) bathed in flourescent glow and leftover christmas decorations still in full sight we decended into what can only be described as culinary purgatory. hell we will reserve for the unmentionables.

the proffering of black crab cakes in some unctious creamy muck, soggy breaded veal in more creamy muck - maybe they should just open in halloween and call it edible scariness. the lovely wait staff - who are truly lovely, though the hoe-down plaid uniforms with the brothel interior is pretty out there, apologized for the black crab cakes - they were only burnt and the chef said he was sorry.

i can only say that i was sorry for listening - every place has its bad days and i truly hope that courier person had a lovely time. but its one more sad eatery to add to the do not go's for me.

fabulous post ! you should be writing food critic reviews for one of the local papers ! how descriptive you are! in fairness i've never been to the left bank on a busy evening, twice i went there for early birds and i have to say it was lovely both times. Not 'i have to go back tomorrow' lovely but adequate none the less and good value for the price. i have heard though bad reviews from those who ate there at night when it was busy, burned food, over salted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Little_L

I've eaten in the Left Bank many times and enjoyed the food and wine quality and selection immensely. However it was the service I was disappointed with due to lack of training. Obviously a problem with management. Simple touches you would expect in a restaurant for what you are paying such as presenting and pouring the wine to taste, carrying drinks on trays and checking tables after food is served. I hate having to wave down a waitress numerous times as if hailing a taxi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pilgrimace

so an update since my last post

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57525877&postcount=49

and despite some of the commentary that followed, i do actually cook a fair bit:D

but anyway, mad to think that in these times of recession that new places are opening up in the town...

foodhouse - been here a couple of times, both for lunch and dinner. nice dining room, staff are very nice and pretty efficient, and a decent menu. food we had was spot on and the price is good. also pretty nice wine list all available by glass or bottle. still think it is not that well known, people pass and all they see is the shop at the front.
    last time we were there it was a friday evening and it was pretty empty. still 2 glasses wine, 1 mineral, 2 coffees, 1 starter, 2mains and 1 dessert for about 50 notes. very satisfied all in...

left bank - reviews have been mixed to be fair, only there the once just after christmas, went with a large group and we had a set menu. very reasonably priced and the staff did a pretty good job and accommodated us well into the latter part of the evening.

riva - this place has been about for a while and has changed names and hands. current incarnation is going very well. nice menu, the opening times have now become consistent and the staff are nice and friendly. good bet for a nice midweek meal.

there is also the new takeaway/cafe where the old four lanterns used to be, yet to visit it. i would have to pass the roma to get there, and that is a hard to to do...

still a nice few additions in the mid price tier. happy eating!!

pil

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

The Left Bank - eaten there a few times when in Dundalk, always 100%. never any reason to consider it less than adequate!
    Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 junkfoodjunkie

I have eaten in places all over the world, some fine dining and some your traditional cafe, and some back street dives...and i have always looked for quality, taste, and value for money. But i have not found many places in Dundalk that i would go back too.(And I have tried them all..take aways and restaurants ) What Dundalk really lacks is a good ASIAN restaraunt, eg: Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Sri Lankan etc., I guess this is why the Punjab house wins awards,simply because there is no competition They have to give it to someone!!!!.I have eaten there 3 times,each time telling myself that its going to be better this time but it never was and i have never returned, this is "poor quality" indian cuisine, the chicken was rubbery, the lamb was tough, the king prawns were just shrimps, and the less said about the sauces the better, if anyone knows anything about Indian cuisine they would not be wasting their money there.
    There is the Balti house, where the staff really try, but unfortunately just like the Punjab it does not matter what dish you order, they are all the same, and nothing like the description on their menus....
    But,,,,,if your prepared to drive a few miles, go to Newry, to the Spice of India, (Monaghan Street) there you will get the best around. (Not the "best" but the best around) If your new to indian cuisine go for a Korma, or Pasanda, they are mild, also try saag aloo, as a vegetarian dish, and their Naan breads. If you like hotter and spicy go for Jalfrezi or Balti. Indian food is NOT all the same, and not all HOT, you just need to know what to ask for. Dont try a Vindaloo if its your first time! Try it and let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

maybe earlier poster had a bad experience in ENO,
    I have been there quite a few times , always good, both food and service.
    regards Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Glydeside white

Had dinner in villa toscana the other day, must admit i thought the food was excellent, the pizzas are easily the nicest in town imo, and the service was excellent. By the way just wanted to know what peoples opinion is on the pizzas from mizzonis. I ordered one about two weeks ago and it was muck, wafer thin and tastless!

Had dinner in villa toscana the other day, must admit i thought the food was excellent, the pizzas are easily the nicest in town imo, and the service was excellent. By the way just wanted to know what peoples opinion is on the pizzas from mizzonis. I ordered one about two weeks ago and it was muck, wafer thin and tastless!

It used to be good, - when it opened!! the last time i had a pizza there-same
    - was muck! hated it said i'd never go back, and i didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Downey Penguin

Personally I'm not keen on any of the "Italian" restaurants in town. The standard fair of pizza and pasta just taste bland.. I always feel I could do better with a tin of tomatoes at home, so for the price its just not worth it!

I've not tried Left Bank after hearing such damning reviews.

I like the food in No. 32 but I really have to have to have a "word in the mirror" and build up the courage to face the waitress in there!! Rude is not the word!! This opinion is based upon several encounters...

Rosso - fabulous for a special occassion.

Slightly out of town i must admit, but this thread cannot go by without another mention of Magees Bistro, Carlingford. Fabulous fish. Cooked to perfection.

Has anyone try this "Weirs" above Donnellys pub in Seatown. In fact, is it still in operation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

I guess this is why the Punjab house wins awards,simply because there is no competition They have to give it to someone!!!!.I have eaten there 3 times,each time telling myself that its going to be better this time but it never was and i have never returned, this is "poor quality" indian cuisine, the chicken was rubbery, the lamb was tough, the king prawns were just shrimps, and the less said about the sauces the better, .

i agree, and on one particular evening i was having a 'michael douglas falling down moment' and decide to point out that very fact to them. if they're prawns they're prawns but to advertise them as 'king prawns' is a joke. the owner tried to convince me other wise telling me that they get smaller when cooked, which didn't help his reasoning since if they 're cooked right they should only be cooked momentarily. they were defiitely shrimps and i din't appreciate the attitude i got off him at sending them back, so i would never return.

bettedavis wrote: »
    i agree, and on one particular evening i was having a 'michael douglas falling down moment' and decide to point out that very fact to them. if they're prawns they're prawns but to advertise them as 'king prawns' is a joke. the owner tried to convince me other wise telling me that they get smaller when cooked, which didn't help his reasoning since if they 're cooked right they should only be cooked momentarily. they were defiitely shrimps and i din't appreciate the attitude i got off him at sending them back, so i would never return.

i'll bet after the above episode the staff did some HARDCORE staring at you for the rest of the evening:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

In Dundalk for business yesterday. Tried the Italian next to McGeoughs for lunch but just late. They recommended McGeoghs and we had a decent three course lunch for €44.45. Later last night (21.45) we went to the Punjab House. Now, after eating Indian food for over 40 years I have had some great meals and some not so great and some just average. But this was diabolical. I had Lamb Balti with Pilau rice. Only the only things that matched the menu's description were "Lamb" and "Rice". The Balti sauce was basically a stew. With cornflour, chilli powder, curry powder and half a semi-cooked spanish onion. No other spices, herbs or garlic. the "Pilau rice" was Basmati with colouring. My wife's Chicken Makhani was partially better but was basically a bland Korma without the coconut. Ditto her rice. The Naan bread was OK ....... as were the Poppadoms and three bottles of Cobra. The princely sum of €49.90. Having eaten Indian food on three continents (and Balti in it's spiritual homeland - Birmingham), I understand the vagaries of various chefs but this joint, with it's gargoyle-like staff should be done under the trade description act. When I remonstrated (quietly) with the manager on the way out, he looked dazed. Maybe he had earlier partaken of same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭MsMolly

Spread wrote: »
    In Dundalk for business yesterday. Tried the Italian next to McGeoughs for lunch but just late. They recommended McGeoghs and we had a decent three course lunch for €44.45. Later last night (21.45) we went to the Punjab House. Now, after eating Indian food for over 40 years I have had some great meals and some not so great and some just average. But this was diabolical. I had Lamb Balti with Pilau rice. Only the only things that matched the menu's description were "Lamb" and "Rice". The Balti sauce was basically a stew. With cornflour, chilli powder, curry powder and half a semi-cooked spanish onion. No other spices, herbs or garlic. the "Pilau rice" was Basmati with colouring. My wife's Chicken Makhani was partially better but was basically a bland Korma without the coconut. Ditto her rice. The Naan bread was OK ....... as were the Poppadoms and three bottles of Cobra. The princely sum of €49.90. Having eaten Indian food on three continents (and Balti in it's spiritual homeland - Birmingham), I understand the vagaries of various chefs but this joint, with it's gargoyle-like staff should be done under the trade description act. When I remonstrated (quietly) with the manager on the way out, he looked dazed. Maybe he had earlier partaken of same!

great review, and totally accurate......gargoyle-like staff ......that's exactly what they're like !

Spread wrote: »
    (and Balti in it's spiritual homeland - Birmingham),
    LOL!!!

I do agree, the Punjab can be a hit or a miss.. Unfortunately the latter is to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭MariMel

I have to add my bit here.....I have been to the Food Hall 3 times now, all close to or during lunchtime.....the place is always busy yet I feel the staff are polite, attenitive and upbeat. I didnt know what to have one day and the waitress recommended a spicy chicken dish with rice.....it didnt look much on the plate but boy was it lovely. I had sweet potato soup andother day with the bread and dips and it was heavenly. I have to say though, that i dont like their burgers....too much herbs in them.
    I have recommended the food hall to my mother and she, after coming with me one day, had since recommended it to her friends.

As for the other venues in town.....find it hard to beat McGeoughs warm chicken salad and my son loves the penne pasta.

The punjab house.....mmmmmm.....well what can I say....I dontmind their food, but after seeing 7up in cans in their fridge...I asked if i could have one with a straw in it for my son.....he poured half of the can into a glass for another table and gave him the half empty can with one tiny straw floating in the top!!!! and this was charged at full price!

Rosso........all they get from me is a......grrrrrrrrr:mad:
    Twice I have gone in there, the first time we were put sitting as far down the back, away from everyone as you possibly be, eventhough there were only one other table with people on it. I promptly left when they wouldnt seat us near the window The second time however, after helping a friend paint the house....dressed in tracksuit and t-shirts....but with money in our pockets.....myself and a friend decided to treat ourselves and splash out on dinner in Rosso ( a midweek evening).......and what were we told by the person on duty????
    That they didnt think they would have anything on the menu in our price range!!!!!!!! (eventhough on numerous occasions my friend has gotten dinners and lunches to take away)
    Now I am far from unkempt......never rude, always polite....so needless to say....regardless of what special event I may ever want to celebrate with a meal out....it'll NEVER be in Rosso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just shows how there's a decent eating house in Dundalk for all tastes.

The Foodhall is great and I love the burgers.:)
    Punjab: Never again.:(
    McGeoughs: Fine for a working lunch or snack but nothing special.:)
    Rosso: Great food but way overpriced and too far up their own Asses.:(
    Eno: Delightful and great for a special early evening. :)
    No 32: Very limited menu and uncomforable seating. :(
    Lisdoo: Great variety (Bar & restaurant), good honest food.:)
    Darver Castle: Great value , good food.:)
    Stonehouse: Nice food but shame about passing the toilets to get in.:)
    But others will, no doubt, disagree. It's all a matter of individual taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Just been to Mullens in Roden Pl for a takeaway for their 1989 prices special evening. It was packed, '80's music was playing on the tv and the original workers were there. We got a fillet chkn burger, a portion of chkn nuggets, 1 bag chips, a cheeseburger and a portion of onion rings for €7.20. Nothing wrong with that. Lovely and tasty too. I was wondering what year did that branch open does anyone know? My oh was saying he thought they were celebrating 'cos it opened in '89 but I can remember going in for burgers with vouchers they handed out in the May Festival parade much earlier than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

cant beleive nobody has mentioned the kingfisher in park street.
    I love the food in this place, its got cheap prices and the quality of the food is magic.

only thing is though, they are always looking for staff, I often see this happening with restaurants and always try to get my head around why that is. there is perhaps a great reason as to why they lose them. either the staff are not doing the job right, or their manager is too over-powering and very hard on them.

its either one or two of those things, but my girlfriend seems to think its the latter, because she has seen the manager treating the staff heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

cant beleive nobody has mentioned the kingfisher in park street.

Somebody did mention it actually!

I highly recommend the cajun salmon in the century. Gorgeous! Also, they give out free goujons, sausages and sandwiches during football matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Somebody did mention it actually!

I highly recommend the cajun salmon in the century. Gorgeous! Also, they give out free goujons, sausages and sandwiches during football matches.

Aye, my uncles are playing in the century pub next thursday oct 8th.

they are quite good at what they do.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »
    Just been to Mullens in Roden Pl for a takeaway for their 1989 prices special evening. It was packed, '80's music was playing on the tv and the original workers were there. We got a fillet chkn burger, a portion of chkn nuggets, 1 bag chips, a cheeseburger and a portion of onion rings for €7.20. Nothing wrong with that. Lovely and tasty too. I was wondering what year did that branch open does anyone know? My oh was saying he thought they were celebrating 'cos it opened in '89 but I can remember going in for burgers with vouchers they handed out in the May Festival parade much earlier than that.

:eek::eek::eek:FANTASTIC!!!

Think Mullens are in business since the 70's. Roden place was the original- afaik.

Advertisement