Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places to eat in Dundalk!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

DamoDLK wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:FANTASTIC!!!

Think Mullens are in business since the 70's. Roden place was the original- afaik.

You're probably right. The Castletown one was there years too. I remember when they used to have an area where you could have a sit down. At least I think it was Mullens had it then. I've a memory of having plaice and chips there with my auntie and cousin. Big treat to sit down for grub in those days:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

DamoDLK wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:FANTASTIC!!!

Think Mullens are in business since the 70's. Roden place was the original- afaik.

They began on the Castletown Rd and pre 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The kingfisher is okay. Don't know why people are flocking to it. I've got food out of it a few times and some was nice, some was just okay. Nothing "magic" about it though. Better chippers than it in the town.

They began on the Castletown Rd and pre 70's.

Can you remember when they opened in Roden Pl Myles Unimportant Quadruped? Wonder what was there before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

Bluestone Grill possibly???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Insurgent wrote: »
    The kingfisher is okay. Don't know why people are flocking to it. I've got food out of it a few times and some was nice, some was just okay. Nothing "magic" about it though. Better chippers than it in the town.

Aye some places have their days of sunshine and others not, but the quality of food in the fisher is of better quality than most places. a lot of chippers use that processed cheese on their burgers and the fisher gives you good quality grated cheddar. The salads are a treat and well worth the money. I think its about time a good chipper came to town.

fish-and-chip-shop-sign.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ab roller plus

Punjab house is muck - definietly. I had my first indian in Indie Spice in Naas almost 3 years ago. I have yet to taste anything better.

Mizzoni's on Park Street is also disgraceful. I always thought the pizza's were supposed to be good. The day of the carrick festival I lined the stomach with pizza, taco chips and burger...Worst lining ever...had the runs all day. I dont think anyone knew though!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Blair Waldorf

Rosso:Good food, fab presentation and waitress' are very pleasant, and they do a good chocolate fondant!:D
    Lisdoo: Average good food but lacks presentation!:)
    No.32:All good advertising 18euro but you still have to pay for your side orders, which is one thing i hate about some restaurants is having to pay extra for your sides.:mad:
    Mc Geoughs:Lovely for lunch or a small snack, it has a nice cosy atmosphere!They do a great steak sandwhich!:)
    The Stone House:Fabulous food and ambience, my steak is always cooked to perfection and staff are always very attentive.:D
    Magees Bistro: Great seafood and there surf and turf is amazing.:)

Everyone has there own opinion and are free to disagree with me about the restaurants in dundalk but this is my opinion about them.

Rosso:Good food, fab presentation and waitress' are very pleasant, and they do a good chocolate fondant!:D
    Lisdoo: Average good food but lacks presentation!:)
    No.32:All good advertising 18euro but you still have to pay for your side orders, which is one thing i hate about some restaurants is having to pay extra for your sides.:mad:
    Mc Geoughs:Lovely for lunch or a small snack, it has a nice cosy atmosphere!They do a great steak sandwhich!:)
    The Stone House:Fabulous food and ambience, my steak is always cooked to perfection and staff are always very attentive.:D
    Magees Bistro: Great seafood and there surf and turf is amazing.:)

Everyone has there own opinion and are free to disagree with me about the restaurants in dundalk but this is my opinion about them.

Hi Blair, thank you for that informative post on the restaurants of Dundalk. I've never been to the stone house or magees bistro, could you perhaps let me know where they are situated?

thanks in advance

Stephen :)

Hi Blair, thank you for that informative post on the restaurants of Dundalk. I've never been to the stone house or magees bistro, could you perhaps let me know where they are situated?

thanks in advance

Stephen :)

Hi Stephen, Magees is in carlingford where u go under a litle arch from the a car park looking onto the church and it is situated on like a cobbled little street( someone will probley describe it better, im not too good with the aul directions) but the Stone House is easy enough to find its on the main street in blackrock! hope this helped!
    Blair:D

• Advertisement

Hi Stephen, Magees is in carlingford where u go under a litle arch from the a car park looking onto the church and it is situated on like a cobbled little street( someone will probley describe it better, im not too good with the aul directions) but the Stone House is easy enough to find its on the main street in blackrock! hope this helped!
    Blair:D

Hi Blair, thank you for the directions, the road to carlingford brings to mind a place I forgot to mention, which is fitzpatricks, a pricy place that it is, it certainly does really good food, took my fiancees family out there when they came over from america. The food is top class, have you ever been to it? if not you should defnitley make the trip as its one place worth taking a dive into.

Hi Blair, thank you for the directions, the road to carlingford brings to mind a place I forgot to mention, which is fitzpatricks, a pricy place that it is, it certainly does really good food, took my fiancees family out there when they came over from america. The food is top class, have you ever been to it? if not you should defnitley make the trip as its one place worth taking a dive into.

yes i have heard of it all right but havent tryed it yet!I heard its pretty pricey alrite but good enough standard of food! i must take a trip to it some time soon! if ur trying either magees or the stone house sometime soon i would definetly reccomend u try the stone house first as it and rosso are my 2 favourites in dundalk, and its not too pricey!!:D

Ann22 wrote: »
    Can you remember when they opened in Roden Pl Srameen? Wonder what was there before them.

I don't recall what year Mullens opened there but it was Alvaro's (spelling??)for many years before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MissNk

any1 try isle de france? what dey tink of it? i tink its DELICIOUS!!:D:D good portions good friendly service and reasonable prices:p

I don't recall what year Mullens opened there but it was Alvaro's (spelling??)for many years before them.

Thanks Myles Unimportant Quadruped, I remember the Bluestone Grill but not an Alvaro's. He was probably Alvaro Luccessi (sp?)senior was he?

MissNk wrote: »
    any1 try isle de france? what dey tink of it? i tink its DELICIOUS!!:D:D good portions good friendly service and reasonable prices:p

you wouldnt happen to own the place would you?:pac:

Bit strange that the posters first post was that one, however its just not enough evidence to support my suspicion of rule breaking :P

Holmes-Image-Loupe.jpg

MissNk wrote: »

You have got to be joking. It's a greasy-Joe takeaway.:rolleyes:

You have got to be joking. It's a greasy-Joe takeaway.:rolleyes:

Myles Unimportant Quadruped, I wouldnt be that hard on it, the family who own it are good people who have a desire to give the best of greasy food, at heart we all love a good greasy take away every now and then. I used to frequent the place when a student at the colaiste ris, and the fond memorys of the friendly and funny staff have never been forgotten. The only problem I have with it nowadays is that its never open.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 talisker

nellie1305 wrote: »
    I live near Dundalk but have never eaten at the Left Bank.

And until i read this board today i always thought it was called "Jeff Banks", because that what it looks like on the sign outside!!!

(yes - i am blonde too!) :)

you are just too cute. you have my vote if you run for elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Dammit, now everytime I pass by its going to look like Jeff Banks! Thanks a lot Nellie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Donotpassgo

LOL Nellie I really did laugh out loud,
    I have tried the 'food house' and TBH I was shocked to be given frozen chips (cooked obv) with my 'charred', not chargrilled, burger, esp as it was around 10eu a pop.
    Did anyone else find rather strange that they were trying to flog cheapo toilet rolls and toothpaste on cheap metal shelving more suited to aldi or lidl (sorry aldi and lidl) in the deli area? Or is it just me? :confused:

LOL Nellie I really did laugh out loud,
    I have tried the 'food house' and TBH I was shocked to be given frozen chips (cooked obv) with my 'charred', not chargrilled, burger, esp as it was around 10eu a pop.
    Did anyone else find rather strange that they were trying to flog cheapo toilet rolls and toothpaste on cheap metal shelving more suited to aldi or lidl (sorry aldi and lidl) in the deli area? Or is it just me? :confused:

and i thought the family of trotters were just fictional :pac:

only_fools_and_horses.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

I like Fitzpatrick's for Sunday Lunch.
    Magees bistro in Carlingford is super - love the live piano background and the lobster and steak was delish!

For lunch while shopping I love The Food House. Great food and service only critisicm is that the cappucino is a bit weak. Have to order extra shot.

The deli section is a bit of a laugh. They have the right idea but need to get better suppliers - better stocked then when it first opened though.

I agree that the Food House is brilliant. What a lunch menu and great value! I don't agree with an earlier poster that the burgers are charred. They are just to my taste - well done (as all burgers should be to avoid food poisoning). The staff are efficient and pleasant.

The deli is well improved and a great source of some of the Jams and seasoning we use at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

The burger is very good. Had it the other day for the first time. the patty was very tasty. And they gave my daughter a free ice-cream for being nice!

I have been to the Jeff banks a few weeks ago, I thought it was fantastic, until...****Drum Roll**** when it came to desert, we requested the menu for it, and she told us ''oh no you have to go to the desert cart and pick it out then bring it back, ''where is it?'' I asked with the greatest of patience, ''oh'' she said '' its right down at the front door''.

What a joke, that means a table of six have to get up, go all the way down to pick out their desert, leaving all their coats and precious valuables at the table to do so. The food business isnt an easy one to keep open, and not many people enter it for that reason, but if the Lefty wants to stay open it'll have to get that one ''right'', because at the moment, it suits its name, ''the left banks'' :pac:

Copius reasons, but the Left Bank has gone downhill very fast. The prices need review and the service is patchy. Lunch seems fine but it's not in my top 5 for decent evening dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

We went to the Adelphi Jade last night as we had been there once before and was left waiting 10 minutes before getting a table (we had booked) and then we were left 30 minutes trying to get served. While seated we saw people who came in well after us not only get served but had their food on the table. At that stage we got up and left, I have never seen such bad service. It seems that if you are a couple you are just left there while the large groups get dealt with.

:mad:

I hope you made this known to the management as you left!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 benzoo

First post on here, just felt the need to register to dispute some of the claims about eno's service (at least in my experience) they have always been very attentive and unobtrusive, sure the menu isnt huge, but look at the size of the place, its not like they have a rake of chefs out the back like, all the food ive had there was great, quality food at good prices, my favourite there is the Pizza Quattro Formaggio (im a cheese freak), their pastas are great and well cooked (ask them if you want it cooked a little under or over al-dente) and they wont look at you like you have 5 heads, im not a wine drinker so i stick to the coffee's which are quite good there (i LOVE coffee) ive been in there 9 or 10 times at this stage and have always recieved a warm welcome from staff, they are nice and chatty when you are leaving and seem genuinely friendly. also theres a great wee range of biscuits and pastas and stuff you can buy to take home.

i dont work there, i dont own the place or know the owners, i just happen to have been in there a good few times and am relating my experience here, i work at a hotel in the town.

[edit] Their Tiramasu is amazing! they use brandy in it instead of tia maria, best tiramasu ive had in the town, hands down.

Advertisement