Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with a 99 Opel Astra

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

i bought my astra a yr ago (1.4) and regreted buying it about 2 weeks later!! soon enough the head needed to be replaced and now, to ad to my troubles, the orange engine light comes on and the car looses all power momenterally!!! is it a simple problem or sometin i should jus get over and sell it on??Alfa 156??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I had a very similar problem with an Astra a while back. It turned out to be the ignition module. Here's a link to the part.

Your problem could be something completly different though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The head gasket pretty much goes on them all after a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jimmybuck

Hammertime wrote: »
    The head gasket pretty much goes on them all after a few years.

yeah if ya drive dem hard at all dey jus give up:)least it woz on warrantee and d time belt woz changed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

jimmybuck wrote: »
    yeah if ya drive dem hard at all dey jus give up:)least it woz on warrantee and d time belt woz changed!!

You is street blud.

innit.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Grease Monkey

Had the same problem with a corsa about a year ago,the engine management light was coming on at about 50mph and then the car would loose power,the problem was the mass airflow meter,simple to change,just upstream of the airfilter on the air inlet duct,will only cost you about 40 euro from any motor factors,hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I presume its a 1.4? If it is it doesnt have a Mass Air Flow Meter. If its a 1.2 it could be an air flow meter.

Coil packs (ignition module) do give trouble on them and is an easy fix. If this was the case the car would be missfiring. You would notice this on acceleration and sometimes on idle depending on how bad it is.

While this is a common problem, I wouldnt say this is your problem as your car is a 99 so It should be a x14xe engine which only has 1 oxygen sensor so you usually do not get an engine management light for a missfire.

The best thing to do would be to have the car checked with a code reader and it will make it easier to diagnose but if you give us more details we may be a able to narrow it down a bit more.

Does the car idle ok? Does it feel like the power is normal until this happens? How long does it usually happen for? Does it happen when the engine is hot or cold or both?

Also when the light comes on does it seem like it is missfiring or just wont rev up or what?

Post back some answers and we will try help more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Lucifer wrote: »
    Coil packs (ignition module) do give trouble on them and is an easy fix. If this was the case the car would be missfiring. You would notice this on acceleration and sometimes on idle depending on how bad it is.

While this is a common problem, I wouldnt say this is your problem as your car is a 99 so It should be a x14xe engine which only has 1 oxygen sensor so you usually do not get an engine management light for a missfire.

My Astra was a 99 and had the x14xe engine. As far as I remember (5 years ago) the engine management light did come on and as you stated it misfired at the same time. The problem could happen two or three times on one journey and then may not reoccur for a few days.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

It may be possible for the engine management light to come on when it missfires but on the x14xe it usually doesnt as the ecu monitors the o2 sensor and adjusts the fuel to give the correct mixture. it is an open loop system. so if the coil pack is breaking down it will cause a rich exhaust gas, so the ecu will just compensate for this instead of seeing it as a missfire. On the newer z14xe engine, it is a closed loop system (it has 2 oxygen sensors, one before the cat, and one after) so the 1st sensor will detect the rich mixture and the ecu will adjust the fuel and the second sensor reads after the cat to detect that the exhaust gas is now ok and tells the ecu. If there is a missfire, the second 02 sensor will detect that the emmisions are still incorrect and this allows the ecu to tell there is a problem.

This is the case alot of the time on the x14xe engine but in some cases it may bring on an engine management light. On the z14xe a missfire should always bring it on.

Another thing to consider is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve which can get blocked up and stuck. Can cause hard start, power loss and reving up/poor idle. Its possible to clean them if you take it out and actuate it and spray it with carb cleaner. Sometimes fixes it but sometimes needs to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Liam Corbett

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my opel astra 99 1.4l. Went to start it the other night and it starts and runs for about 10seconds then just cuts out. This happens every time i start it! The ecu light (with lightning flash sign in the middle) keeps flashing also. I dont know much about cars but i was thinking it could be the immobiliser or something like that? Anyway just wondering have you any help you could give me to fix it?

Thanks,
    Liam

Advertisement