Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine reving up by itself.

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I've noticed over the last 2 weeks as i drove down the canal at 5mph on my way to work that the car would jump forward at times. Like i stood on the accelerator for a second. I can see the rev counter jump a little. I've also noticed the temperature gage flicks around. Anybody have an idea whats going on? I dont think its the temperature since i am only traveling short distances, buy maybe an electrics problem? Or maybe those 2 things are completely unrelated.

Its a 2002 Disesl Avensis btw.

Anybody able to shed some light on what the problem maybe?

Thanks
    -Woody

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 emagination

Could it be air-conditioning kicking in? Does it happen with air-con switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Sound like you have a faulty temperature sender anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Could have an airbox contaminated with deisel/oil residue I think that can cause revving as the mix is enriched.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭maceocc2

mike65 wrote: »
    Could have an airbox contaminated with deisel/oil residue I think that can cause revving as the mix is enriched.

Mike

I would say the same alright, or faulty air intake valve could be the problem, meaning air to diesel mix is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

voxpop wrote: »
    Sound like you have a faulty temperature sender anyway

I would assume extra fuel would be injected if it thinks the engine is cold also, so that might account for the fluctuation in revs.

Typically they use an NTC thermistor who's resistance will increase as the temperature drops, hence an open circuit will be read as a cold value... If the sensor is going "fully open circuit", this should be logged by the engine ECU as a fault. It could be intermittently going open circuit, hence the ECU may well think its ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mike65 wrote: »

Mike

+1 Defo sounds like an air intake issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Hmm can i clean that myself without having any tools or would it be a job for my local mechanic?

Problem seems to be more pronounced lately (or could be just that i am noticing it more).

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dainius

have you checked the coolant level? Does your heater work properly? Last time it happen to me I blew the head gasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

cheak for any leaking breather pipes aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Ouch, you dont wanna blow the HG. Mechanic time methinks

• Advertisement
Advertisement