Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC Restarts instead of Shutting Down

• 27-08-2008 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

A few days ago my PC restarted even though I selected shutdown. After the reboot it shutdown ok. Being paranoid I did the following the next day.
      Checked that Wake on Lan is off in the bios, it is and always has been as best I recall.
    • From Aidan Walsh's stickied thread on viruses etc. I've run the Malwarebytes & SuperAntiSpyware scans and removed everything they found, mostly cookies etc, nothing too alarming.
    • I use Avast instead of AVG and used the scan on boot option to do a full scan, nothing found.
    • I also ran the Panda online scanner, again nothing found.
    • Automatic Windows updates is On so I'm fully patched to SP3 on Windows XP Professional.

After all that I thought it might just have been paranoia, then it happened again last night. Again, shutting down after it had rebooted was ok.
    And I know the most obvious question is "Are you sure you selected ShutDown" (I'd ask it anyway if someone described this problem to me) and the answer is yes, I've been sure to check that since the initial reboot.

When the comp is running it seems fine.

A friend messaged me a couple of days ago to say not to click any links they send when they appear offline as it might be a virus. I had received a message from them a couple of days ago but my paranoia had stopped me clicking the link anyway...but I'm not sure if even opening the chat window could have allowed a nasty to infect the comp. MSN has been a little screwy since so I re-installed that and changed the password just in case but everything else seems fine.

Any thoughts on what else I should check?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Can accross a similar issue with Compaq laptops. When a service pack was applied, the laptop would restart instead of shutdown. The SP had interferred with the power management software. Reinstalling the power management software fixed the prob ; worth a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Thanks. The most confusing part is it doesn't happen every time I shutdown, Thursday it rebooted again, yesterday it did as expected.

I'll check out your suggestion though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

Try reinstalling sp3 first, give it a few days, if that doesnt fix it, reinstall the power management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I had to remove SP3 as it broke my wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Apolgies for dragging up an oldish thread but something similar is happening with my PC also. I just built a PC operating vista and EVERYTIME i shutdown it shuts down alright but then reboots :confused: This is definitely nothing virus related as it's a brand new PC and started doing this after the first time i shutdown i hadn't added any PCI cards or other software. I'm lost...No errors at all just a restart...HELP :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement