Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kissing in the Creche

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

:confused:The other day I dropped my 18mth old daughter off at the creche. She was immediately greeted by all the boys in the group with a kiss. I was a bit taken aback. Am I over-reacting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If it's a hug and a kiss on the cheek I don't see anything wrong with that at all, most kids are affectionate. Does mean they will all have the same kooties :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

ha ha, my 3 year old little fella when i dropped him off and stood to chat to one of the mums was standing beside me... next thing there was a line of girls coming in and all of them gave him a kiss and a cuddle ... seriously, there was as line of about 8 little girls. Im not so worried cos i recon its their way of saying they like them. Your little girl must just be really popular.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kissing does not have the same connotations for children as for adults so no, there's no problem imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

She must be a fox already :D

Ah seriously though, at that age I'm sure it's grand and isn't it better than them battering the head off her? My friend in work has a new baby and his second (about 18 months) walloped the baby across the face and is intent on hitting it with toys etc :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Ohhh, that's sooo cute :D it's nice to know that your little girl is included in the group & that they like her. It will be good for her immune system too....
    As previous posters said, it's just littl' uns way of being affectionate & loving to each other & is purely innocent as they haven't been programmed yet by the thinking of what is and is not viewed by society as "proper behaviour", us adults could learn a thing or two from them.
    Give her another couple of years and she'll probably be running a mile if a boy tries to kiss her :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Ahh it just sounds like friendliness.

When my daughter was in senior infants they used to play kissed chasing (like most of us at that age) Anyhow, the whole class was banned from playing it because of a complaint from one of the parents. I found it personally a bit OTT.

But they had their reasons and they had to be respected.

My daughter was devastated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

When my daughter was in senior infants they used to play kissed chasing (like most of us at that age) Anyhow, the whole class was banned from playing it because of a complaint from one of the parents. I found it personally a bit OTT.

That is PC gone mad I can feel my blood pressure rising :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Maybe the parent's child did not appreciate the game? We all know what a scary place the playground can be for some kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

anon1 wrote: »
    : Am I over-reacting?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

anon1 wrote: »
    I was a bit taken aback.

You probably kiss your child 50 times a day. Hell, I'd say I top out at over 100 on the weekends. They see it as a perfectly normal way of expressing affection.

What was it that you were taken aback by? I just don't see what the problem is at all, nor can I see how there would be one......Maybe you can explain to me what you think the problem was?

• Advertisement

Kiss chasing can be used to harrash and bully kids, also some schools have a no running in the school yard policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

A no running in the playground policy.

...... in the words of a famous TV chr ... I don't believe it !

So how do kids work off their excess energy during the day ?

Is this for insurance reasons or something silly like this ?

I can see the point about bullying now you mention it however , never thought of it .

Damn I feel old fashioned now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I used to terrorise a boy in school trying to kiss him all the time. It went on for a number of years. All the adults thought it was cute but really I should have been given a kick in the ar**.
    If the kisses in the creche are spontaneous then fine but if the teachers are telling the kids to give each other a kiss cause it's cute then i'd pull them up on it.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    A no running in the playground policy.

...... in the words of a famous TV chr ... I don't believe it !

So how do kids work off their excess energy during the day ?

Is this for insurance reasons or something silly like this ?

I can see the point about bullying now you mention it however , never thought of it .

Damn I feel old fashioned now

Insurance reasons, there was a girl who fell while playing chasing in the yard, broke her knee cap and knocked out her front teeth the schools insurance rocketed, so no running in the yard at lunch time and parents have had to shell out for a insurance policy per child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I remember reading an article in one of the national newspapers in the last year or two about how so many schools do not allow running in the school yard.

One of the reasons given is insurance which a lot of the time is nothing more than a convenient excuse, they're not allowed run in the school playground yet there's no problem playing contact sport. Yet according to the report the actual amount of claims is extremely low, much lower than I would have expected.

As for toddlers kissing or hugging each other that's normal, preferable to when the hit each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

OMG, she's 18 months!!!!

(takes a deep breath)

Advertisement