Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Castleknock - Dun Loughlinstown Commute

Options
  • 27-08-2008 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just got word starting next Monday I've to be working in Loughlinstown. I'll be coming from Castleknock. Its about a 50km round trip, which doesn't bother me hugely. However I'll have to be there for 7am and I need to be in a suit and looking presentable. (If I can't be the only other option is the Maynooth train + Bray dart - which I'd rather avoid).

I guess the only option will be to locate a locker and shower there.

But any ideas on how to it daily? Pannier bags for suit, shoes and documents?

EDIT: Oooppss! That title shouldn't have the "Dun" part in there! Its Loughlinstown, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Hi. With a 7am start you will not be able to do tis on train. First train out of Castleknock leaves at 6.39am -and takes 20 mins to reach Connolly. us is not an option either.
    I work in the docklands and would suggest Castleknock thru Park up Quays to Custom House Turn right after Custom Hse and before IFSC. Follow around to Pearse St and straight out the road to Dun Laoghaire, via the coast (Strand Rd, Rock Rd etc).
    Nice cycle early morning. If you can leave shoes towel suit in work, then it is possible to carry a small backpack with (tightly folded)shirt, underwear etc. Try bringing all bulky items in at start of week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

ROK ON wrote: »
    Hi. With a 7am start you will not be able to do tis on train. First train out of Castleknock leaves at 6.39am -and takes 20 mins to reach Connolly. us is not an option either.
    I work in the docklands and would suggest Castleknock thru Park up Quays to Custom House Turn right after Custom Hse and before IFSC. Follow around to Pearse St and straight out the road to Dun Laoghaire, via the coast (Strand Rd, Rock Rd etc).
    Nice cycle early morning. If you can leave shoes towel suit in work, then it is possible to carry a small backpack with (tightly folded)shirt, underwear etc. Try bringing all bulky items in at start of week.

thanks ROK_ON, that the kind of practical advice I need! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

wow that's some commute. do a search for 'easy-iron' shirts. Someone mentioned they are handy for this type of commute (keep wrinkle free).

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Muller_1

I ride Shankill to Kilmainham most days around 45k round trip. I tend to change my route a lot for variety. Luckily I don't have to wear a suit but I drive once every 2 weeks or drop into the office the odd weekend with loads of gear which I leave in the office. I also carry a small back pack. The route I would suggest would be through the Park on to the canal as far as Ranelagh then, clonskeagh road to Goatstown, Stillorgan etc.. There are good cycling tracks which are on the road for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

ROK ON wrote: »
    would suggest Castleknock thru Park up Quays to Custom House Turn right after Custom Hse and before IFSC. Follow around to Pearse St and straight out the road to Dun Laoghaire, via the coast (Strand Rd, Rock Rd etc).

Agree with route as far as IFSC, but wouldn't go coast road out of town. Rock Road alright, but I'd go out the Merrion Road to get to it - either down south quays to Macken St, right, left on Grand Canal St down to Ballsbridge, or else right off south quays to Westland Row, Merrion Square, Mount St 0... Ballsbridge.

Alternative to Rock Road would be Stillorgan Dual Carriageway - Stephen's Green, Leeson St, Donnybrook...Loughlinstown.

I don't wear a suit, but leave shoes in, bring in trousers once or twice a week, and shirt/smalls every day. You'll need a shower too, if you don't want to put your new colleagues off you right from the start!

Steve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You might want to mix it up a bit, have a ****e weather version (utterly shortest possible) along with more scenic options. In general terms the Rock Road is more pleasant than the Stillorgan Road but probably worse for cycling, there is no cycle lane and not a lot of room for cyclists in a lot of portions (between Sydney Parade and Booterstown in particular.) Stillorgan Road has a cycle lane alongside for much of the length that is actually usable in places (the main exception is from Stillorgan to UCD, Leopardstown to Foxrock Church isn't great either.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

blorg wrote: »
    You might want to mix it up a bit, have a ****e weather version (utterly shortest possible) along with more scenic options. In general terms the Rock Road is more pleasant than the Stillorgan Road but probably worse for cycling, there is no cycle lane and not a lot of room for cyclists in a lot of portions (between Sydney Parade and Booterstown in particular.) Stillorgan Road has a cycle lane alongside for much of the length that is actually usable in places (the main exception is from Stillorgan to UCD, Leopardstown to Foxrock Church isn't great either.)
    I'd go Rock Road, and use the footpath, as many do. A bit bumpy, since it's surfaced with wobbly paving tiles, but safe.
    Anyone who cycles with traffic/buses on the Rock Road has to have, IMHO, a death wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Ah the Rock Road is much better these days with the new bus lanes. Still a bit cramped going past the Merrion Centre and the M1 pub, but thats coz of Road works.
    Rest of it is grand. I go from Dawson St to Cabinteely every day this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I go Castleknock> D.4 my route is

Castleknock College
    Whites Road/Farmleigh
    Chesterfield Ave
    Kyber Road
    S.Circular RD/Kilmanham
    The Canal all the way to D.4

Far less lights, and stop start than going near the center of town. A better rhythm, well for me anyway I'm pretty slow. Traffic is a bit more predictable and theres no buses/trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SectionF wrote: »
    Anyone who cycles with traffic/buses on the Rock Road has to have, IMHO, a death wish.

Ah it ain't that bad :)
    I'll certainly agree that there are suspect points, but it's by no means the worst.

• Advertisement
Advertisement