Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Nursing

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone can help me please?

I was hoping to apply to UCD next year to study Vet Nursing and I spoke to the Course Administrator at the college and she told me that because I would be applying as a mature student I need to have at least 1 years experience of working with animals before I can apply.

I have not been able to secure a position at a vet surgery yet, although I have been told by one vet surgery that I am first on the list if a position comes up.

I was wondering if anyone knows what else would qualify as experience and also does it have to be full time or is part time work OK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused:

P.S. As you can probably tell, I am very new to this so sorry if I have done anything wrong!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Maybe an animal refuge centre? The RSPCA? A pet shop? Technically all of those are 'working with animals'. Just a thought...

Ask the course director exactly what s/he means by 'working with animals', is it solely work experience with a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Zion Star

Thanks UCD_Econ

The administrator said that working with a rescue center would count but I have tried to get work in a rescue center too but I found that they have staff already and don't want to take someone else on even though I told them that I would work for free.

Also, the petshops that I spoke to seem to be run by husband/wife and they don't need anyone else to work for them.

Not sure what else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

Your best bet would be to hold out for a place in a surgery. It will stand to you more in the long run.
    Are you aware you must have 20 hours a week of paid employment with a practice registered with UCD? You must have this to be considered for aplication and then keep working as you are doing the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angelfromthecoa

Hi, if you plan on applying to UCD to study Veterinary Nursing the first step would be to write a cover letter and send it to all the Veterinary Clinics in your area, in your cover letter explain why you want to study veterinary nursing and if they are not willing to offer you a job maybe offer to work at weekends for free to gain experience. UCD will not consider an application if you do not have experience with animals and before you even apply you have to be in Veterinary Practice that is registered with them as a teaching practice and they will have to be willing to offer you a minimum of 20 hours paid employment for the 3 years you are on the course. If finding a registered practice is proving too hard try and get your leg in the door of any clinic to gain experience and who knows they may even register with UCD themselves in time. Also you could volunteer at the local dog pound or animal welfare group. I must say though that it is very hard to get in to UCD as a mature student as there is only 13 places allocated for them and the standard of applications is very high. I applied to UCD as a mature student two years running and have not been accepted even though I have alot of experience working with animals and got great references from two Veterinary Surgeons, I also do alot of voluntary work with two animal welfare groups. I know a girl who got accepted for UCD this year even though she had only been working is a Veterinary Practice for four months before her application but she had a degree in Equine Science, so it begs the question that if you have a degree is it easier to further your education than if you don't have one because if that was the case do people with no previous degree or qualifications not deserve the opportunity to get an education? I have come to the conclusion that it is just pot luck who they pick as mature students. However I decided to apply to Athlone aswell this year and to my delight I have been accepted. I hadn't originally thought about applying to Athlone as I have been working full time in a registered training practice as a trainee veterinary nurse for the past two years but after I wasn't accepted last year to UCD I decided to keep my options open and am so glad I did as I learned that Athlone is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Veterinary Nursing with the option of continuing on to study Veterinary Medicine whereas UCD is a Diploma. I can understand the appeal of the UCD course because you continue to work in the practice and study at the same time but I have heard from two girls I worked with who attended UCD and left after the first year that working in a busy practice and studying is very difficult. It really is up to the individual student and their situation and if going back to full time education is not an option then you just have to keep applying to UCD until you get it. Hope this has been some help smile.gif

Thanks for the help guys!

I am not having much luck getting into a vet practice. They seem to already have some trainee nurses and don't want to take on anyone else.

I'll keep trying though and hopefully something will come up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm not having much luck getting into a practice - they seem to already have nurses that have been training since last year.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to go back to full time education and that's why the UCD course caught my eye.

I'll keep trying and hopefully something will come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 angelfromthecoa

Ya be positive and keep trying and if you want something hard enough it will work out in the end, sometimes the road to success is paved with failure !!

You can sing that!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

I was going to start a topic on this but then i saw this one! :)
    Is there anyone here doing the vet nursing course? Would u recommend it? How many weeks a year of work exp do u have to do? and whats the hours like?:D
    I THINK ive been offered a place on the course coz i got sent out the information pack thing.. and i missed a call from ucd but cant get thru now. If i dont get it this year i'll prob apply again next year:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pink27

Im exactly the same as you Zion Star, want to do vet nursing parttime but ucd have changed their course this year to full time. They still off part time option but you have to be employed with vet for one year before applying for semester based course. Did you manage to get into vet nursing

I was wondering if anyone can help me please?

I was hoping to apply to UCD next year to study Vet Nursing and I spoke to the Course Administrator at the college and she told me that because I would be applying as a mature student I need to have at least 1 years experience of working with animals before I can apply.

I have not been able to secure a position at a vet surgery yet, although I have been told by one vet surgery that I am first on the list if a position comes up.

I was wondering if anyone knows what else would qualify as experience and also does it have to be full time or is part time work OK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :confused:

P.S. As you can probably tell, I am very new to this so sorry if I have done anything wrong![/quote]

• Advertisement

Hey pink27

I managed to get a job in an Animal Hospital and it's going really well. It's great to finally be where I want to be. I have already learnt so much. Hoping to apply for the Vet Nursing course next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭wibblebee

Great thread everyone. Interesting info given which helps me. I too would love to do the course. So we have to have at least 1 years experience with animals. I volunteer walking dogs in pounds and rescue sancturies. Going to contact my vet now to see if i can work/help there. Last year they said they weren't taking anyone on. But if i say i am intending to do the course next year maybe there may be a slim chance working there.
    When is the best time of the year to apply for the course and is it through the CAO or the uni itself?
    I have always wanted to work with animals and enjoy what i am doing. I have a qualification as a registered general nurse and the modules are very similar to veterinary nursing course.
    Any more info would be grateful received.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

Here are a few suggestions,

try Argyle and Bainbridge vet practice in Stillorgan and Dundrum. I did TY work experience in the one in Stillorgan but not sure if they are still taking students.If not ask them about their vet hospital in Dundrum because I'm pretty sure they take students there for a bit of experience.

Also the DSPCA are more than willing to take on any volunteers!Best get in contact with them soon before bored secondary school students on summer hols all start heading up!

Good luck!

Advertisement