Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrician - Wiring pillar lights

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:32am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys,
    Maybe someone could give me some insight into this please.

I have 2 pillars which I have lights to be wired up to. The hydodare piping is through the pillar so this will give me a way to feed the cable to the lights. and I have a pipe across the drive to feed across the pipe to the 2nd pillar.

Now the problem is, I can figure out how these are wired, I have a main feed from a switch inside the house to just beside on pillar. I presume there is a "3-way" splitter which I need to get or something, that I wire the mains feed into, then take 2 cables off this, 1 to each pillar light?

I am plenty savy of wiring, I wired up the deck lights to an external box which is main feed and took a feed of that for an external socket, so dont worry I wont kill myself :)

I just want to get an idea of how it is done :)

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

From the JB just run the cable to first pillar light, loop cable and run to second pillar. This way there is no need for a second cable and all connections are within the pillar fittings.

You could have run the cable directly from switch point and not require any JB. Presumably you'll use 1.5 NYM or SWA?. I'd prefer SWA.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

you took a feed of a power supply for lights to feed a socket....."dont worry i wont kill myself" you just might if that socket you put in is not backed up by a rcd/rcbo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

There is a 3 ways splitter. A wholesaler will know what you are talking about. It’s a Scotchcast submersion kit, it has waterproof compound but it needs to be used properly and sealed up correctly. There are liquid compound options where you do the joint and mix two liquids over them and fill into a joint box; they harden into a gel, never used one though.

If the cables are SWA (black cables with steel wire protection) this will be a difficult job as there is a knack to SWA joints that is best demonstrated by a trained person.

Just to add sockets fed from decking lights that themselves are not fed through the RCD and also through an isolation transformer is dangerous, particularly for an outside socket where hedge cutters and other corded devices are used. You should address this before you use the socket again as you will have no RCD / ELCB protection (vital for these conditions).
    Unless you took the feed from this external box directly which itself was fed from an RCD protected circuit this is also a possibility and we are all getting our knickers in a knot for nothing.

Anyway Yob come on!!!! there is an electrical forum!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

dolittle wrote: »
    you took a feed of a power supply for lights to feed a socket....."dont worry i wont kill myself" you just might if that socket you put in is not backed up by a rcd/rcbo

It wasnt a power supply for lights and yes there is a breaker on it.

Never knew there was an eletrical forum!!!!! Sorry

Advertisement