Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:41am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Crappy title, excellent film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381348/

Picked this up after seeing it mentioned at an anime/comic/video game exhibition and really liked it. Its a science fiction war story combined with a coming of age tale, and is a very imaginative, beautifully drawn film. Quite a complex film on top of the accessiable core story too.

Anyone else seen it? And great package too: DVD comes bundled with the director Shinkai's two previous short films (and one of their soundtracks) as well as two detailed production booklets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I'd say most people here have seen this at this stage. (If you haven't, why the hell not?)

Fabulous stuff.

I picked up a collectors edition with this and the also excellent Voices of a Distant Star recently. Haven't gotten round to watching 5cm per second yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

I liked it and I cried. It was a very moving film. Yeah I agree with you on the "crappy" title. I prefer the original title, "Beyond the Clouds."

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Whats the other two films? any link to where you got it?

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1098934/The-Place-Promised-In-Our-Early-Days/Product.html

Is this what you got? does this have the films? Is one of them 5 centimetres per second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Ordered a copy now, for €7 you can't really go wrong!
    Thanks for the recommendation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

rejkin wrote: »
    Whats the other two films? any link to where you got it?

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1098934/The-Place-Promised-In-Our-Early-Days/Product.html

Is this what you got? does this have the films? Is one of them 5 centimetres per second?

I picked up the Region One boxset. The two short films are Voices of a Distant Star and She and Her Cat. Haven't gotten around to watching them yet. Boxset here.

Theres also a region 2 boxset with the DVDs only, here. Play have it at a good price, although I saw it in town for something ridiculous like 45 euro.

5 centimetres per second seems hard enough to track down. No new copies on amazon anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

Never heard of She and her Cat. I was reasonably sure that thsi film was called Beyond the Clouds, the Promised Place. Guess it has a few titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

just watched it today, great film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I'll watch it tomorrow and tell you my thoughts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Johnny you will have to give me a lend of this, sounds interesting. huh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Voices of a Distant Star there, absolutely stunning. Packs a lot of emotion and beauty into twenty five minutes, well worth a watch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Brilliant film, watched it a few years ago. Voices of a Distant Star is a strange one. Its brilliant how it progresses with the time gap and all that, loved it. Havent seen She and her Cat. Any good?

fitz0 wrote: »
    Brilliant film, watched it a few years ago. Voices of a Distant Star is a strange one. Its brilliant how it progresses with the time gap and all that, loved it. Havent seen She and her Cat. Any good?

Yeah Voices of a Distant Star really is a fascinating film. Very unique, and for such a short film to seem so epic is really an achievement.

Not really much to She and her Cat (I watched the extended version - five whopping minutes long :pac:) but it looks nice and has an obnoxiously cute feline. A soothing twelveth of an hour, but far lighter than the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

I watched Place Promised In Our Early Days, and it was nothing compared to 5cm Per Second. 5cm is an absolute masterpiece.

Advertisement