Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nervous Dog

• 27-08-2008 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

I rescued a beautiful 7th mth english setter about a month ago, she has settled in really well, very loving dog except she is still very nervous and jumpy around strangers. She particular does not like men. If anyone calls to the house, she pratically hangs out of me that but will settle soon enough if they are female but if there are male she goes ballistic barks when they arrive, she's fine once they sit and dont move but if they do she's off again??? (no smart jokes pls :D) She'll even hide sometimes, even if she has met them plenty of times :rolleyes:

Obviously something happened her prior to the shelter (as she wasnt there long).

So any tips on easing her anxiety, we do try to get her mingling as much as possible, all help would be appreicated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

For the time being I'd start with putting her out of reach when you open the door ...only let her in once the visitors have settled and then calmly show her around and send her outside again if she acts up.

Co-operative visitors could be persuaded into giving her treats ...but only when she's calm and relaxed.

She has to learn from you, that visitors are normal and nothing to be afraid of or to get excited about, so you also have to treat your visitors very matter-of-factly (maybe let them know in advance that they're only getting a lukewarm greeting because of the dog training :D )

If you have a male friend that could be present (just as a bystander from a distance) when she goes about normal activities that would be great. Someone to just stand there when she gets fed or who tags along for the walk. As long as what she's doing (walking / eating) is important to her, she should slowly get used to the harmless male presence in the background and begin to calm down.

That will take time and several attempts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Try and gently ease her into male company...

Just get her spending time with some males and they could give her treats etc as you suggested...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thanks for tips. There was a guy with me when i collected her and shes totally normal around him, obviously associates him with rescuing her. I will definitely try the treat idea for when people call.

Still have to deal with when we'r out walking and a guy passes her, she cowers down or trys to get away, shes great on the lead so its easy to keep control of her. Will keep trying to act normal when out as you say it will take time, once she reasursed she in safe hands, she'll be great, already noticed a huge difference in her behaviour since she arrived. This is the only thing that still bothers her. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

No problem....

let us know how you get on....

Advertisement