Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting Dublin to Dundalk IT

• 27-08-2008 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Hi, Can anyone sugges the best way to commute from Dublin, (North - Baldoyle/Bayside area) to Dundalk IT. I am looking to take into account time, cost etc so any information at all would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If you can drive - consider that option. You're very near to the M1 and it would take approximatley 45-55 minutes to get to Dundalk IT from there. You'd have a clear scoot up the motorway.

If you were thinking of the train, you'd need to get the DART to Connolly and then the Enterprise to dundalk - or else one of those commuter Arrows from Howth Junction maybe, depending on the time of course. The main problem wit hthis is the fact that the IT is quite a distance from Dundalk train station if memory serves me correctly and you'd then need to get a bus down the road towards the IT.
    Your total travel time could very well be a minimum of 1hr 30mins on a good day.

I have no idea how much the train would cost, apologies on that front but the round trip by car would be about 100 miles. That equates to 500 miles a week - so however much it costs to fill your car (depending on MPG) will dictate that particualar cost.

I used to work in Dundalk and got the train up every day. The yearly train ticket worked out at €1300 but this was back in 2002!!!!! I have no idea how much it would be now - including the Govt tax scheme worked into it as well.

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Oh I guess you could get a Bus Eireann bus every day - dunno where it would pick you up though - probably Swords. I think it takes about 1hr 15mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Hi, Can anyone sugges the best way to commute from Dublin, (North - Baldoyle/Bayside area) to Dundalk IT. I am looking to take into account time, cost etc so any information at all would be appreciated.

By rail from Howth Junction, there are two direct services in the morning, at 0818 and 0903 to Dundalk, each taking an hour and 10 minutes appx.

Otherwise, you need to double back to Connolly and get the Enterprise.

Return services operate with connections at either Drogheda or Connolly.

Do a timetable search from Howth Junction to Dundalk on www.irishrail.ie to get a full list of trains - select a day (such as 1 September) and the relevant time window that you want.

Try Bayside-Howth Junction for connections as performing the Bayside-Dundalk option seems to unnecessarily always send you through Connolly.

As far as the bus is concerned, Bus Éireann operate route 100X from Busarus every hour on the hour to Dundalk, serving Dundalk IT. It picks up (and sets down on the return trip) at Drumcondra Station, St. Patrick's College, Whitehall Church, Omni Centre, Swiss Cottage, Airways Industrial Estate, ALSAA, and Dublin Airport en route.

Timetables are at http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202394114-100x.pdf

Getting from the northeast part of Dublin to connect with the Bus Eireann 100X would require taking one of the following Dublin Bus services:
    1) Route 29A/31/32/128 to the city centre
    2) Route 17A from Kilbarrack Road to the junction of Swords Road and Santry Avenue
    3) Route 105 (limited service) from Baldoyle to Collins Avenue/Swords Road junction at Whitehall Church
    4) Route 102 from Baldoyle to Dublin Airport

Note that you could also take the 102 to Malahide Station and take the train from there.

Ticket options include:
    - Student ten journey tickets on Bus Eireann (EUR 27)
    - Student unlimited tickets with Dublin Bus cost EUR 18 per week.
    - Weekly Giant Hop ticket (only an Adult option available) that covers all Bus Éireann, Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus services (EUR 72.50) within an area bounded by Dundalk.

A student return ticket between Dublin and Dundalk on Irish Rail is EUR 15.

On a cost basis, the Bus Éireann option is probably the cheapest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

There is a regular Matthews Coach service from Parnell Street that starts opposite the Welcome Inn pub and outside the Paddypowers on the China Town end of Parnell Street, it also picks up in Drumcondra and Whitehall if you live on the Northside. It's €7 one way and €12 return. I think there may be cheaper combo-tickets but I'm not sure. Return tickets have no expiry date. All services use the M1, stopping only in Drogheda. Also, there are plenty of services that are Dundalk direct, especially at peak times.

Journey times are about 1hr 20mins via Drogheda and under an hour if it's direct.

Check out: http://www.matthewscoach.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

€50 for a ten-trip with Matthews Coach and no expiry. Not sure about the morning timetable Dublin-Dundalk if it would be useful for commuting, but check out their site.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

look at a giant hop commuter ticket , it will do buses and trains
    Giant Hop: Dundalk, Mullingar, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Carlow and Gorey

https://194.106.151.95/site/your_journey/commuter_services.asp
    Giant Hop €69.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

amacachi wrote: »
    €50 for a ten-trip with Matthews Coach and no expiry. Not sure about the morning timetable Dublin-Dundalk if it would be useful for commuting, but check out their site.

Compared with the Bus Éireann student 10 journey option of EUR 27 that is a heck of a difference (EUR 23) per week!!
    look at a giant hop commuter ticket , it will do buses and trains
    Giant Hop: Dundalk, Mullingar, Tullamore, Portlaoise, Carlow and Gorey

https://194.106.151.95/site/your_journey/commuter_services.asp
    Giant Hop €69.00

It looks like those rates have not been updated - The Giant Hop is now EUR 72.50 per week.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/weekly.asp

Advertisement