Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do i need to arrange before i head to australia???

Options
  • 27-08-2008 11:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I am thinking of going to australia for a year soon!! 1. how much money do i need??2. Where should i go? Sydney, Melbourne etc??3. Accommodation?anything else??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

theres an australia forum here jimmy,they will prob be better help to ya

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Buy a lonely planet and do some research!
    they are too general questions you are asking
    as everyone will have different ideas on where to go and why etc.

Money will depend on how much you have saved, how much you go out, how much you plan to work etc etc

Where ... well that depends entirely on you.
    Sydney & melbourne are the two biggest cities, and probably have the most things to do.

If you want natural beauty Tasmania is stunning. If you want amazing beaches West coast, if you want great beaches and party-time east is good.

Uluru is a magical place and personally think Kakadu/lichfield (near darwin) is fantastic.

you can try a fellow boardsie's Aus/Ireland website http://www.ozeire.com/index.php

has some good starting points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

You will ned to transfer your money over here first, the easist way to do this is to put all your euros in an envelope and post them to me, the address was posted earlier :)

but yeah you better have a plan, or at least a gneral routemap inyerhea, pick 5 things* you really want to do in Australia during your time here and then formulate your itinerary.

Be realistic about them and before you put down

Drive the Nullarbor
    Climb the Rock
    Swim the Reef
    See the Outback
    get laid

take out an atlass, have a quick look at how big Australia is and try and wrap yer head around the size of the place, trust me it will still blow your mind when you get here;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Climb See the Rock
    Fixed that for you.

Uluru is a sacred site for the Anangu, and they ask 'respect our law by not climbing Uluru'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

How do you know he was talking about Uluru?!?;) Could be any rock:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

I am thinking of going to australia for a year soon!! 1. how much money do i need??2.
    Well you should have enough with you to pay for a hostel for a few weeks or months & money to eat n stuff . Leave your self enough so that you won't be stuck if you don't get a job right away . Take a look at hostel prices in YHA Australia or Hostels Sydney Check under Accommodation
    Where should i go? Sydney, Melbourne etc??

Most people tend to fly into Sydney first but i found you could get caught there . Its such a great party city . Might be an idea to fly into Melbourne no relaxed . Then again maybe your after party party party .
    3.Accommodation?anything else??

There are plenty of Hostels around they are the best value until you get on your feet and maybe get a unit (apartment) with some friends . YHA Australia or Hostels Sydney Check under Accommodation

If you have any more questions drop by the site .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

dunno bout you lot but I wasnt gonna travel all that distance out to the feckin middle of nowhere just to LOOK at a big rock, so I climbed it, very worthwhile experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

im heading too. waht my questions were are.

1) what do i need to do before i go out.

2) anyone recommend cheapest way to do all these things i need to do?

visa. cost = ?
    medical things? cost = ?
    tickets for flight? cost=?

me and a mate heading over. i have ~E3500 atm. can get a loan if needs be i figure.
    he found flights return anytime within a year for E1300. visa E170,
    we've only started looking though. any help from anyone also heading?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kenyard wrote: »
    im heading too. waht my questions were are.

1) what do i need to do before i go out.

2) anyone recommend cheapest way to do all these things i need to do?

visa. cost = ?
    medical things? cost = ?
    tickets for flight? cost=?

me and a mate heading over. i have ~E3500 atm. can get a loan if needs be i figure.
    he found flights return anytime within a year for E1300. visa E170,
    we've only started looking though. any help from anyone also heading?

with regards to the visa you can get it through usit or someone but i just got the application form for the visa off the australian embassy website and sent it off with everything that was needed and saved €40 on what everyone else is charging and simple to do, just fill out the form and get a copy of your passport signed by the guards and send it off, I got mine in less than two weeks, apparently no insert needed into passport or anything so easy enough. its about e165 from agents and e125 directly and takes nothing to do.

I got backpacker insurance and cost me €110 for about eight months cover, got it from www.annualmultitrip.com

Flights depend on what stopovers you want and where you are flying into. best just to ring around. China airlines seem to be the cheapest but i hear from friends that they are older planes and not as comfertable. I choose qanta/BA to fly with with stops in thailand and hong kong and cost €1400.

yeah mate is just after saying eh found a years insurance for 170 so that probably what we get, il check that site n see though.

rite, anyone got details on medical things? malaria or atin like that i have to worry about>?

oh and cheers for the info on the visa. every penny saved is gonna be put to good use :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

kenyard wrote: »
    rite, anyone got details on medical things? malaria or atin like that i have to worry about>?

You don't need anything for Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

You don't need anything for Australia.

+1

no vaccinations needed for australia, but if you stopover somethere along the way then you may need some vaccinations.

cool cheers guys thats excellent news :D

insurance, visa and flights so.

OZ here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

my trip cost 2500, which included 1 year working visa and flights:
    -dublin to london
    - london to bangkok
    -month in thailand
    -bangkok to cairns

im still in oz. but i also get a flight to new zealand, fiji, usa then back to ireland...

Advertisement