Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lobes streched

Options
  • 27-08-2008 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering.
    If you were to get your lobes stretched and plugs in and all that!!
    Would you ever be able to wear earings again?
    Like if you took the plugs out for a while would the holes shrink?
    If so, what size after which would they not shrink back to earing hole size?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

It's different for everyone, one the natural shape of your lobe is changed there's no going back. For most this is about 6mm, but varies depending on the shape and how fast you have stretched. Different for everyone.

You can wear ear rings with stretched lobes of course, but they're better known as hanging style weights.

There is a stickied thread at the top of the forum here, read that and if you have any more questions let us know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Thanks Will, Sorry I didn't see the sticky there before posting this!! Oopsy!

I don't think I would go bigger than 6mm anyway.
    I just want to know that there is hope!! Haha
    I never wear long or dangley earings anyway. Always stud type earings but I would like to think that if I ever wanted to wear them I could!

Is there anyone here who has actually downsized?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

I don't think I would go bigger than 6mm anyway.
    I said that too, now I'm waiting for it to heal so I can stretch to 8 :( then to 10 :(

Haha
    So it becomes slightly addictive? Much like piercing in it's self!

Haha
    So it becomes slightly addictive? Much like piercing in it's self!

Yeah, a guy I know is 15 and he has his to 16mm, now to be honest at that age I don't agree with it because when he's older he may regret it, then again he wants to get a piercing apprenticeship so he should be fine.

With me the problem is I keep seeing awesome plugs for higher stretches and I want them all :p

I do plan on keeping one lobe at 6mm since I love a lot of the 6mm stuff too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a guy I know is 15 and he has his to 16mm, now to be honest at that age I don't agree with it because when he's older he may regret it, then again he wants to get a piercing apprenticeship so he should be fine.

With me the problem is I keep seeing awesome plugs for higher stretches and I want them all :p

I do plan on keeping one lobe at 6mm since I love a lot of the 6mm stuff too.

16mm at 15 sounds totally crazy but yeah if it's something he wants to do then phew!
    I'm nineteen and i'm just thinking about the whole regretable side of things.
    Not going to rush into it. I did that with a tattoo and now I am regretting it.

Plugs are nicer than any earings out there.
    this would be so much easier if I were a guy. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Hahaha, yeah, when i started off i said it stop at about 4mm or 6mm, maybe 8mm at a fcuking push.
    And now im at 22mm with intensions of getting to 50mm+

I say go for it, if you hit 6mm and don't like it, it won't be the end of the world since you can go back, I'm 20 and really pleased I did it. Love it to bits.

Be 100% positive that you will be happy with big lobes for the rest of your life. 6mm is the general size, but could be more, or less for you.

Don't go into stretching with the idea of downsizing, it won't end well.

I had a fair few piercings before I went ahead and even got my ear lobes pierced, then another while before I decided to stretch them.

I am sure about it, i mean when i ever i look at my lobes now, i think "wow they are way too small"
    which i know is man, as evey one around me seems to think the are huge.
    But for years, looking at people in african tribes, and even bronze age irish men, iv always wanted them stretched.

And i woudlnt worry about work, a 9-5 office job is the last think im thinking about.

• Advertisement

o.0 I was referring to nicolaonfire... :)

But yeah, sure I've 19mm lobes myself, unfortunately working in an office at the minute.

Nicolaonfire; just be sure you know what you are getting yourself into, and yes it is addictive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Nicolaonfire I wear dangly earrings through my 4mm holes a fair bit. You just need to get the ones with the rubbed 'stoppers' at the end- if you were at 6mm you'd probably need to wrap something else through them to stop them fallng out, but dangly earrings and hoops are no problem to wear through hollow tunnels.

Personally I agree with Will, you should always go into stretching with the idea of it being permanent :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

i had my lobe up to 22mm at one point, now, its down to 3.2, and it took about a month to drop to 4mm, and another month to 3.2.

BUT, it took me 11 years to get from 1.6 to 22mm, and you can definitely see the excess skin on my lobe if you knew to look for it (mostly on the back).

I know its not very fashionble now, because we're all "modding" now, ie piercing and stretching straight up or punching or scalpeling, but I firmly believe patient slow stretching is the surest route to healthy lobes, and the best way to get them really big if you choose. I've never heard a cogent argument to the contrary, although I HAVE heard a great deal of enthusiastic salivation by piercers who are dying to do something cool.... :rolleyes:

Hot2def: As a matter of interest, why did you decide to downsize? Did ya just get sick of having large lobes?

22 to 3.2? :eek::eek::eek:

Wow i didnt think you could downsize that much from such big sizes.
    I left my plugs out one night to see if there was a slightlest different, no difference in the size of the actual hole, but my lobes got thicker, which means bigger sizes! :D

I took it out because it had a huge tendency to flare up, depending on the weather, or if I was have a minor reaction to something else - eg a cold or hay fever.

it should be noted that i have exceptionally poor skin, and all my piercings have given me trouble, I experience major fall out on every tattoo, am allergic to bepanthen medical tape, I scar heavily, and have a fairly severe nickel dermatits and reaction to latex gloves.

I am no yardstick for skin tolerances....

If you want thicker lobes sleep without your plugs in, and massage them daily with emu oil, bio oil, holey butt'r etc.

Also leaving out your plugs will stop the pressure on your lobes and give them a chance to relax, thus increasing blood flow which leads to healthier, happier lobes and a happier you at the end of the day

hot2def: Jaysis! I know a few piercer's whove developed allergies to latex alright, they use nitrile gloves instead, presume you use them now too

nah, i'm ok providing they are high quality, powder free, low protein ones, plus I have to use barrier creams on my hands everyday anway in order to handle coins :rolleyes: so it helps with the gloves a bit.

I was working in a shop where the owner <spits on ground> refused to buy decent gloves and just bought them as needed (frequently during a tattoo) and they were ****e and powdered. I got welts on my wrists and my hands swelled, plus I wheezed. didn't stop the gee-bag.

High maintenance wut :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Jaysus hot2def, that's pretty atrocious particularly when I'm sure they knew you had issues with the gloves!!!

• Advertisement

cardinal rule - there is NO reasoning with gee-bags.

I just refused to tattoo once the skin was broken, and since I did 3/4 of the tattooing in that shop, he capitulated pretty quick once he felt the pinch..

\o/ Awesome :D

Still wanna see some of your work though! :p

givus a few minutes

where will I put the flicks?

Dunno... Maybe the "How did you get into..." thread or if you don't want them public for whatever reason, you could bang them into a pm!

Also, thanks! :D

Throw em anywhere, show me yours, i show you mine, wherever! :D

Thanks a million guys for all the replies
    I think i'm going to go ahead with it.
    I wanted to ask you guys instead of my friends because they would have said no straight away.
    I am going to wait until I move to Dublin till I get it done.
    I have only ever been to Celestial Ring on Abbey st.
    I will probably go there again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I want to stretch up to 4 or 5 mm, but I can't because I know if I do I'll want them bigger :(

I'm stretching my conch to 3.2 and that'll be my biggest one!

Advertisement