Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

156 or 147

Options
  • 27-08-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

2001/2002 156 or 147. I've been told the 147 is more reliable, but isn't it the same 1.6 engine in both?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

2001/2002 156 or 147. I've been told the 147 is more reliable, but isn't it the same 1.6 engine in both?

The 147 is more reliable than the 156 by the car reviews, maybe it is not just about the engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I have a 147 - i love it

My mate has a 156 - he loves it

i love driving his car and he loves driving mine. There both fantastic and I had the same dilemma trying to choose. in the end I got a 147 as i prefered the look of it and I got a lovely alfa red one with top spec.

its tough decision!

Apparently the 147 is a bit more reliable electrical wise - i dont really know though, neither of us have had a problem with ours in our 9months of ownership, although they are really well maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My mate works in the Alpha garage at the red cow and he says the 147 is just the 156 with the arse cut off. Engine wise, afaik they're exactly the same.

147 might be better on electrics because they're a slightly newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

It's ALFA not alpha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

My mate works in the Alpha garage at the red cow and he says the 147 is just the 156 with the arse cut off. Engine wise, afaik they're exactly the same.

147 might be better on electrics because they're a slightly newer car.

Alfa.

The place at the Red Cow is Alfa Ireland HQ, unless you mean the one at the entrance to Park West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Would imagine the 1.6TS 147 is a bit more fun to drive as it would be relatively lighter. Used to have a 147 myself, have never driven a 156.

From what I have seen, interior of 147 may be nicer/higher spec than a 156, but it depends on the version I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The interior of the 147 MAY be nicer than the 156 in 00/01. The facelift 156 interior is however the nicest interior ever put in a car! The 156 actually gets to 60 in around .2 s less than the 147 (in 1.6 version). I personally prefer the 156!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm a hatchback man, have dogs, into sports, so the 147 would be my choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

It´s hard to think much more good looking car than black 147 with red leather interior,

I think I would go to 147 since they seem to be technically quite the same,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Where are all the Alfa bashers gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

colsers22 wrote: »

Sorry, was asleep!

Load of shoite, my bruvver says, bargepole, complete heap, my mechanic ran a mile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭colsers22

Zube wrote: »
    Sorry, was asleep!

Load of shoite, my bruvver says, bargepole, complete heap, my mechanic ran a mile...

LOL!!

I've always quite fancied a 147. The only thing that ever put me off them was the constant horror stories about reliability. I would happily replace my heap of sh1t 99 Golf for one. I think they look the business, escpecially in Black. I've yet to see a hatch car that looks so good from the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

the 1.6 is 105 bhp in some 147s - but 120 bhp in the 156 and in most other 1.6 147s - just make sure youre not getting a 105.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

**Jedi mind trick on**

you don't want a 1.6 Alfa
    I don't want a 1.6 Alfa

you want to buy a proper Alfa
    I want to buy a proper Alfa

**Jedi mind trick off**

excellent!!

well with that cleared up, you should buy this

my work here is done here, thank you and goodnight ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The 147 Veloce is a 105bhp all others should be 120bhp.

Most will be either sportivo or lusso model spec. 147 is a fantastic car, my mother has a 156 and it is also fantastic - but I prefer my 147 & so does she...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I'd say get the 156 as it handles brilliantly and goes like a funking bullet when the foot goes down.

Then again I'd be biased as I own one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The 147 Veloce is a 105bhp all others should be 120bhp.

Most will be either sportivo or lusso model spec. 147 is a fantastic car, my mother has a 156 and it is also fantastic - but I prefer my 147 & so does she...

The easiest way to tell is to look at the Rev Counter - if it stops at 7k, it's a 120, 6.5k it's a 105. The 105s also don't have Traction Control, or ESP, or whatever Alfa call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

The looks you get when you pull up beside somebody in a Golf or something, pure jealously! they look and want an Alfa so bad but they just think "my brothers wifes cousin had one and it broek down" kinda crap.

I actually pull up at lights and random people say "nice motor", this happens quite a bit. it has hugh 18inch wheels on it though that look the biz so thats probably one of the reasons.

So is the GT just a 147 with a boot on it to?? Exact same interior....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am in the same boat as the OP in this , I cant make my mind up on a 2001 147 or a 00/02 156.

I am only looking for a 1.6 but cant make up my mind. I have driven a 147 and loved it but never drove a 156 but have been a passagenger many times and my brother swears by them.

I have read all previous threads too and still stuck on what to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

colsers22 wrote: »

We've just assumed people know they're sh*te at this stage so there's no point in banging on about it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭askU

The Alfa 156 was less than reliable.. but if it’s reliability and predictability you’re after then marry a Japanese or German car... if it’s passion and fun you want then have an affair with an Alfa Romeo. Be warned, she'll be unreliable, moody, selfish and cost you a fortune... but when she’s up to it on a curvy twisty country road on a sunny summers evening she'll please you like no other car.

Advertisement