Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Foley - spelling

• 27-08-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Ray Foley decided to do some spelling today on his show.
    Why?
    Is there anyone listening that would find that interesting?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He's just appealing to his key demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

OMG

Thought there was no talking about the great one on here?
    magnum this thread will be gone soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Oh I think I'll let this one slide for now.

But I'll be keeping an eye on it so I'll ask people to keep things civil, please.

Woohoo:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I usually like the show, but today I just thought the spelling bit was strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Frankly, I can stand the to$$er. I don't change the station when I hear his voice.

No don't say that! I don't want this to get locked, I want to see how long it lasts!!!

I will hear about the spelling thing later off my sister because i can't listen at the moment. I hate missing the show. I love Foley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I know this thread will be locked so I'd better type fast. Could someone please explain why we can't discuss Foley or his show. The charter states that he doesn't 'like' being discussed on boards.ie....so what? I know there is no such thing as free speech on boards but I doubt very much that Ray D'arcy likes very much what has been said about him in his thread and I can be sure that David McSavage(McAndrews) doesn't like what is said about him over in the Thunderdrome. Why then is it that noone can mention Foley's name without the thread being locked - legal proceedings must have been threatened or instigated me's thinks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

people slagged him, he joined boards, apparently got thick about the slagging, backin and over, he gots banned. also, he's a love him or hate him character that threads about him always descend into chaos, so the mods decided no talk =no trouble.

i like him. last years meteor award won me 250 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Go onto his blog and give him hell.

• Advertisement

ksimpson wrote: »
    Frankly, I can stand the to$$er. I don't change the station when I hear his voice.

Any criticism of a radio presenter is to be directed to their radio programme and their skills at producing that programme.

Unconstructive personal insults won't be tolerated.
    Go onto his blog and give him hell.

Does he allow comments now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

What was he banned for Monkey Fudge?

Has everyone seen Good Morning Vietnam? Remember the DJ that took over from the main character played by Robin Williams who "knew humour"? He reminds me of RF! (professionally as a DJ of course... the man could be the nicest fella on earth off the mike)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

His show is not great but it is only because his competition is non-existent.He can get away with lazy radio when other stations are targeted at specific demographics.Nikki Hayes=Honda Civic lovers as an example.

At least he knows that his show is bad (Email arguement).If you don't like the show just email him at Foley@Todayfm.com and tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Careful now or you will all get a warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

HAt least he knows that his show is bad (Email arguement).If you don't like the show just email him at Foley@Todayfm.com and tell him.
    or just switch stations? do you email every tv show you dont like? or complain about every tv ad u dont like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzzbomb

Anyone ever heard Ray Foley actually try to present a show on his own? without sidekicks, zany characters, inhouse references? Thats because I doubt he can. Good on him for having the success but he isn't the genius of radio that he likes to sell himself as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Nikki Hayes=Honda Civic lovers as an example.

Brilliant:D:D:D

Quote of the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

TBH i find it hard to listen to someone who pleads for votes in the meteor awards, by the way he does actually have a meteor award and an iphone (just in case you need to be reminded)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

He's probably a nice chap, but the show is really 'lowest common denominator' stuff.

I hear that theres a jingle featuring an "irate listener" bemoaning the programme's low standards which has been played recently, presumably as an ironic joke.

This is funny if you're 12, mentally 12 or just mentally challenged, but personally, I prefer humour with a little more to it than silly voices, strained efforts at 'daring' innuendo and copious usage of the word "bitch".

Like the occasional real joke for instance.

Similarly to the content-borrowing syndrome that occurred years ago with a national DJ's outright plagiarism of sketches and slots lifted wholesale from Steve Wrights BBC show, the cynical amongst us would wager that the RF show will have had it's last good idea the day Chris Moyles retires.

(Oh, and the Good morning Vietnam personality-free dj was Lt Steve Hauk, played by Bruno Kirby from City Slickers & When Harry met sally. Can't say that I see the resemblance myself. Hauk was funnier. :D )

(Oh and if the man himself happens to be reading and is planning an Ironic Good morning Vietnam reference for the show tomorrow so as to display how far above this whole thing he is, he could do worse than track 17 : The Rivieras - California Sun. I haven't heard that in ages. Ta. )

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

zuroph wrote: »
    people slagged him, he joined boards, apparently got thick about the slagging, backin and over, he gots banned. also, he's a love him or hate him character that threads about him always descend into chaos, so the mods decided no talk =no trouble.

i like him. last years meteor award won me 250 quid.

I remember one night on his old show on Today.fm when some texter got stuck into him, accusing him of boasting and called him all sorts. Ray went to a song and when he came back he claimed to have phoned the guy and given him a good ear-bashing.

So, yeah, I can see how this happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

I enjoy the music played on the show in question*.
    I find the sense of humour, bubbly personalities and overall auras of the individuals who appear on the show very endearing*.
    The subject matter on this show has a profound effect on me and makes me want to assess my life and it's direction*.
    I listen to this show very regularly and each and every occasion that I do obtain the privelige to listen to this particular show, I am very grateful*.
    My life would not be complete without this show*.

*LIES, LIES, LIES, LIES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Have to agree with you Ekels. My life would be meaningless without him. Every morning I sink to my knees and thank God that he graces the airways*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

He's a very good DJ, Presenter and all round very funny.

He has gotten very lazy recently on his show. No new features, blabbing on about nothing, that feckin "Lazy Radio" thing....

But I still listen. (regardless of the above)

It's amazing the amount of fuss 1 DJ can make.

I hate the way people make personal insults against him.

Petty. ^^^^

Love you foley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Fago_25 wrote: »
    He's a very good DJ, Presenter and all round very funny.

He has gotten very lazy recently on his show. No new features, blabbing on about nothing, that feckin "Lazy Radio" thing....

But I still listen. (regardless of the above)

It's amazing the amount of fuss 1 DJ can make.

I hate the way people make personal insults against him.

Petty. ^^^^

Love you foley.

That you J.P.?

Seriously though, I don't mind him.

There's much worse on the airwaves such as Rick O Shea and Ruth Scott.

kraggy wrote: »
    That you J.P.?

Seriously though, I don't mind him.

There's much worse on the airwaves such as Rick O Shea and Ruth Scott.

Ha ha. I'm not J.P. chap doesnt know how to work a pc.

I like the way people think someone's a dj, just cause he gave that dj praise. It's ok thought.

Rick o shea is a good dj. i've been listening to more an more of him and now i thinks hes good.

You say worse on the airwaves, listen to Nikki hayes.

Oh, and the Good morning Vietnam personality-free dj was Lt Steve Hauk, played by Bruno Kirby from City Slickers & When Harry met sally.

Thanks for the info.
    Can't say that I see the resemblance myself. Hauk was funnier. :D

Thanks for the laugh.

Yeah, the personal insults are out of order, I might have been guilty of that myself, he just brings it out in me!

Do you get the impression the other presenters on the station are a bit dubious about the show? I have heard at least four comments from the morning show, and the Ray D'arcy show calling the RF show crew "real professionals"!

Very tongue in cheek...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I like the way people think someone's a dj, just cause he gave that dj praise. It's ok thought.

You obviously cannot see when someone is taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Ye should email his show with a link to this thread. Get boards a mention

phi3 wrote: »
    Ye should email his show with a link to this thread. Get boards a mention

No. Last time he mentioned boards as far as I know he insulted everyone who uses the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

No. Last time he mentioned boards as far as I know he insulted everyone who uses the site.

So he took on 75,000+ people... and those people either didn't know or didn't care.

GG.

Apologies anyway. I don't want the thread to go off topic.

The thread is about the Spelling Feature on his show.

What exactly did this involve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The spelling was like a spelling bee.
    JP gave Ray words and Ray had to spell them.
    He got most of them wrong but was asking for more words.
    I just thought it was pointless and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It followed from some news report in which some "scientists" were claiming that poor spelling was a sign of high intelligence. Something to do with the fact that if you have a knowledge of lots of words, it can lead to you associating (incorrectly) the spellings of similar sounding words, or something like that.

There were 5 words that highly intelligent people tend to spell wrong, and JP asked Foley to spell them all. Then they got listeners to text in words for him to spell too. That's about the jist of it. Silly, yes, but harmless fun. Just what were people expecting from the Ray Foley Show anyway? It's not exactly Liveline or Newstalk, and I don't think it's every tried to be. It is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Quite. Rubbish.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    You obviously cannot see when someone is taking the piss.

I can see that chap was taking the piss, but it always happens on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I "accidentally" broke the radio in work because of the spelling bit. I couldnt take anymore. It was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. Now I can only listen to the local community radio.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I "accidentally" broke the radio in work because of the spelling bit..

A bit extreme isn't it?

Just change the station. HA.

Saying that, smashing the radio would have been more enertaining then the rest of the crap that's on at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Leave Nikki Hayes alone (In my best Chris Crocker impression)! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dutchie

To be honest i think the weakest part of the Ray Foley show is "zany" Ann Gleeson. She is the only person on radio bar, none that makes me change channel when i hear her voice.
    To be fair to Ray it's hard to keep a show fresh and new, at least he's trying new things/features.

Can anyone name one show on national radio that keeps on re-inventing itself?

Can anyone name one that has to keep reinventing itself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Wasn't under the impression that he took the show or himself seriously, weird how he responded to earlier criticism. Not sure why he would care. Has a fun job and has fun doing it, if only everyone was so lucky. 'Stupid', 'lowest common denominator', yeah would agree but can be laugh occassionally. Better than D'Arseys endless pontificating. Thankfully I'm able to change channels on radio so when I dont like what I'm listening to I stop listening to it. God help poor ****ers who have piped music in work and can do nothing about it. Not pleasant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

A bit extreme isn't it?

Just change the station. HA.

Saying that, smashing the radio would have been more enertaining then the rest of the crap that's on at that time.

Well outside of the Pale there isnt much choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

In before lock (because you just know he's going to start throwing his toys out of the pram on this thread soon).

As a community radio host myself and one that hopes to someday make it to a bigger local station and beyond I listen to many, many different presenters on many different stations and I can say, hand on heart, that Ray Foley is the worst radio presenter in the country today.

This Spelling Bee bit was comical for all the wrong reasons, its obvious that no thought or prep went into it whatsoever. Did Chris Moyles do the same bit the day before I wonder? Only funnier?

Which brings me to what pisses me off most about any radio I listen to. Dear Ray Foley (and I know you'll read this)

Stop f*cking ripping off Chris Moyles word for word, jingle for jingle and benchmark for benchmark!

This is not 2001 Ray, its not just anoraks who listen to BBC Radio 1 online anymore, many Joe Soaps now know how to listen in to UK stations online and are doing it in their droves. Alot of your listeners wont know that Chris did the exact same thing last week. But more and more will start to. Especially with DAB sets been sold to Mary and Michaels in Dixons. But apart from your listeners you are starting to become a joke with in the radio business. If people are slagging you off within a tiny community station I work for what do you think they're saying about you at your level d you think?

I hate been this nasty. There is a very good, even excellent format presenter somewhere within Ray Foley, he really could do very tight and sh*t hot radio if he wanted to. But at the moment he's not a radio presenter, he's an impersonator. And not a great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I dont like foley....Saskia...is your community station online.......I could listen to you instead:D

Saskia wrote: »
    In before lock (because you just know he's going to start throwing his toys out of the pram on this thread soon).

As a community radio host myself and one that hopes to someday make it to a bigger local station and beyond I listen to many, many different presenters on many different stations and I can say, hand on heart, that Ray Foley is the worst radio presenter in the country today.

This Spelling Bee bit was comical for all the wrong reasons, its obvious that no thought or prep went into it whatsoever. Did Chris Moyles do the same bit the day before I wonder? Only funnier?

Which brings me to what pisses me off most about any radio I listen to. Dear Ray Foley (and I know you'll read this)

Stop f*cking ripping off Chris Moyles word for word, jingle for jingle and benchmark for benchmark!

This is not 2001 Ray, its not just anoraks who listen to BBC Radio 1 online anymore, many Joe Soaps now know how to listen in to UK stations online and are doing it in their droves. Alot of your listeners wont know that Chris did the exact same thing last week. But more and more will start to. Especially with DAB sets been sold to Mary and Michaels in Dixons. But apart from your listeners you are starting to become a joke with in the radio business. If people are slagging you off within a tiny community station I work for what do you think they're saying about you at your level d you think?

I hate been this nasty. There is a very good, even excellent format presenter somewhere within Ray Foley, he really could do very tight and sh*t hot radio if he wanted to. But at the moment he's not a radio presenter, he's an impersonator. And not a great one.

Man i couldn't agree more. Except for this part:
    Ray Foley is the worst radio presenter in the country today

He's a good presenter and Dj, one of my favorites, but for F**ks sake, he is a copy cat. I have noticed he copies Chris Moyles all the time, more notably the jingles, and has had no new features for a long time. I didn't know he copied the Spelling thing from him.
    There is a very good, even excellent format presenter somewhere within Ray Foley, he really could do very tight and sh*t hot radio if he wanted to.

The problem is, hes a lazy SH*T. He has a nice cozy job and he doesn't have to do a lick of work. If he got up off his ass and worked he could be one of the best presenters in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Saskia wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that a number of times people have ranted onto the RF show saying pretty much what you did. The whole jingle thing is a p'sstake ffs. He has mentioned that it is a p'sstake loads of times.
    I seriously doubt that he thinks nobody in Ireland listens to Radio 1......

Edit: I think he actually answered a rant like this one day by saying the jingle is actually a rip-off of one from Scott Mills..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

ibh wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that a number of times people have ranted onto the RF show saying pretty much what you did. The whole jingle thing is a p'sstake ffs. He has mentioned that it is a p'sstake loads of times.
    I seriously doubt that he thinks nobody in Ireland listens to Radio 1......

Edit: I think he actually answered a rant like this one day by saying the jingle is actually a rip-off of one from Scott Mills..

You're correct there. He has mentioned it numberous times.

People just don't seem to get it... It's what the guy does. He takes the piss. Do you really think that everything is done the way it is by accident? He has by no means an easy job, with no prep involved. They work for the sound that they have. It's SUPPOSED to sound un-prepared and lazy. The other presenters on the station also market him like that... the same as they market 'The Last Word' as serious business.

IMO, he is one of the most talented radio presenters out there and well deserved of his gig. He is targeting a certain audience and is doing it very well.

He's also a young guy, which is nice to hear in the current radio setup.

I think this may have been mentioned once or twice on this forum before, but if you don't like it, turn it off.

Also, it's ridiculous that this thread exists considering the mention in the charter... maybe the mods were in the mood for a bit of a Ray Foley bashing, as they don't like the guy... but either amend your charter or lock the thread, as you're being extremely hypocritical otherwise.

Also, it's ridiculous that this thread exists considering the mention in the charter... maybe the mods were in the mood for a bit of a Ray Foley bashing, as they don't like the guy... but either amend your charter or lock the thread, as you're being extremely hypocritical otherwise.

No. He doesn't like us. I have no strong feelings about the guy one way or the other and have said many times that I think his show is well produced and targets his demographic well. But it's not material that's ever going to hold up well outside that demographic.

I've already said I'll let this thread go for now as I don't particularly like banning topics on the forum. But the behavior of people in the past in these threads has caused myself and other mods a lot of work.

I'll let a thread on this topic go every so often just to see if people are capable of acting in a responsible manner. It's going okay so far as I've only had to issue one warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

No. He doesn't like us. I have no strong feelings about the guy one way or the other and have said many times that I think his show is well produced and targets his demographic well. But it's not material that's ever going to hold up well outside that demographic.
    I've already said I'll let this thread go for now as I don't particularly like banning topics on the forum. But the behavior of people in the past in these threads has caused myself and other mods a lot of work.

I'll let a thread on this topic go every so often just to see if people are capable of acting in a responsible manner. It's going okay so far as I've only had to issue one warning.

The exact same can be said for lots of decent presenters like Chris Moyles, Jo Wiley etc.But personally i think its a load of crap. My parents both like the RF show cause it's light hearted and cause it's like the opposite of liveline or whatever other rubbish is on air at that time.

I have found it tiresome from time to time but i actually like the format in general.
    Try living in Australia and listening to a cnut like Kyle Sanderman and you'd be begging to hear Foley!!!

Same as everthing else, horses for courses. I just think some people complaining about the obvious Moyles copying are missing the point. Maybe it's cause they are infrequent listeners or maybe the point isn't well made. I think it's funny. I'm just waiting for Moyles to copy the 'Eh, yea, ok' show. :D

targets his demographic well

These people we need to worry about. As a nation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement