Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Foley - spelling

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

better demographic than darcys "mad" crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

lightening wrote: »
    These people we need to worry about. As a nation.

What do you mean?

Do you know what demographic he is targeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

zuroph wrote: »
    better demographic than darcys "mad" crowd.

:D
    What do you mean?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

What do you mean?

People in institutions or those with bad taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

People in institutions or those with bad taste.

Condescending are we???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I really just don't get why people get so vicious over someone on the radio.

So, he's not your cup of tea? Get over it. There's plenty of stations broadcasting other stuff or stick on your i-pod. You don't pay your licence fee for Today FM so they can stick on whoever they like once the ad money rolls in.

And, all this stuff about copying Moyles...so what? Nobody else is doing it in Ireland. God knows there's enough **** djs out there who can do nothing except say "that was and this is". Every single radio idea you hear nowadays is a "reinterpretation" of something done elsewhere. There isn't any new ideas left.

I don't work in Today FM, but I do work in radio - and I find it tough to see and hear people giving vicious abuse to a young guy trying something a bit different. The reality is - it doesn't matter what you think. He's pulling the ratings in, and that is all that commercial radio stations care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Seeing as most of his listeners use Bebo, I fear for their ability to spell any word that goes above four letters and doesn't have OMG!!!, LOL, Plzz, Luv U etc. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Saskia wrote: »
    Alot of your listeners wont know that Chris did the exact same thing last week. But more and more will start to. Especially with DAB sets been sold to Mary and Michaels in Dixons.

Those DAB sets being sold at the moment can only pick up Irish Stations, none of the BBC's unfortunately, unless you live near the border. A lot of people can listen to BBC if they have NTL digital though.

I wonder was the point of the Spelling Bee 'Gag' that intelligent people couldn't spell, so he thought that people would think he was intelligent if he also couldn't spell the same words?

I wonder was the point of the Spelling Bee 'Gag' that intelligent people couldn't spell, so he thought that people would think he was intelligent if he also couldn't spell the same words?

Yeah, maybe. I also don't buy the "pisstake of the Chris Moyles show". If it's a good piss take he shouldn't have to mention it lots of times as one poster says. I would imagine he was copying the show and got caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah, maybe. I also don't buy the "pisstake of the Chris Moyles show". If it's a good piss take he shouldn't have to mention it lots of times as one poster says. I would imagine he was copying the show and got caught.

Have you heard the Moyles-esque jingle??? It is clearly a pisstake and not a serious attempt to copy him.. It isn't a attempt to copy the Moyles format.

ibh wrote: »
    Have you heard the Moyles-esque jingle??? It is clearly a pisstake and not a serious attempt to copy him.. It isn't a attempt to copy the Moyles format.

Yes i have heard the copy. Ok, that's your opinion ibh. I don't share it. I find the show annoying, immature and very very unoriginal cheap copy. However, over time everyone in work has agreed and the station is changed over. Sometimes we forget because we are busy. The headaches begin and we change over!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Nothing against the chap personally - just think he's an awful DJ!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Foley show is an awful awful excuse for a show. His wannabe Chris Moyales wackiness is irritating to a degree that it makes me break out in a sweaty rage from midday mon - fri. Also, is it just me or does Foley have a resemblence to Quagmire from Family Guy? :D

I'm sure foley as a person is pretty sound and a good laugh, but his radio show personality (show itself) is sheeoiite. Even if they got rid of the "I can't make it in today" bit (talk about flogging a dead horse) would be something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

When people speak about shows they don't like, they always say, "I hate his show, His voice annoys me, every time i hear it i switch off." but yet they keep switching it back on. Not just with Foley, with anyone.
    it makes me break out in a sweaty rage from midday mon - fri

You must like it a little if you keep switching on.

If you don't like it, switch off and never switch on again.

I don't like Tony Fenton, so therefore i never switch him on. I don't switch on and then complain about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Fago_25 wrote: »
    When people speak about shows they don't like, they always say, "I hate his show, His voice annoys me, every time i hear it i switch off." but yet they keep switching it back on. Not just with Foley, with anyone.

You must like it a little if you keep switching on.

If you don't like it, switch off and never switch on again.

I don't like Tony Fenton, so therefore i never switch him on. I don't switch on and then complain about it.

Oh if only it were that simple. The radio's in work and I'm not near the controls. Hence the need for an mp3 player when the boss aint around. Foley certainly doesnt fall into the so bad its good criteria, its just plain annoying.

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    Oh if only it were that simple. The radio's in work and I'm not near the controls. Hence the need for an mp3 player when the boss aint around.

Fair enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Foley would be more at home on Tipperary Mid-West radio.
    I hate his DJ'ing.
    I hate his show.
    I hate his muppet friends who shouldnt be on the radio.
    I hate his voice.
    I hate his face.
    I hate his dog.
    I hate the way i have to keep buying new radios cos i keep throwing them out of the car window.

Grrr...

FearDark wrote: »
    I hate the way i have to keep buying new radios cos i keep throwing them out of the car window.

Grrr...
    because u keep tuning in to his show...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

have to agree with the posters who say he is trying to be like Chris Moyles. Afternoon on Today FM is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Listening to todays show Foley had a piece where they were having a converstaion with a piece of tape of Tom Baxter repeating the same words. It was all very Moyles-esque once again....
    There seems to be a very fine line between being a parody of Moyles and being copy of Moyles.
    I do like the Foley show.
    I do like the music he plays,
    Just a bit more originality would be nice too:D

• Advertisement

Edited stupid remark. My Bad.

Tipperary is outside the pale. Tipperary Mid-West radio is an actual radio stations outside the pale. This thread is about a DJ that is from outside the pale. Feardark never mentioned anything about inside the pale.

alpha2zulu wrote: »
    Listening to todays show Foley had a piece where they were having a converstaion with a piece of tape of Tom Baxter repeating the same words. It was all very Moyles-esque once again....
    There seems to be a very fine line between being a parody of Moyles and being copy of Moyles.
    I do like the Foley show.
    I do like the music he plays,
    Just a bit more originality would be nice too:D
    tbf, to say chris moyles came up with something like that would be wrong too, he would only be ripping off an idea thats been around for years and years.

tbf, to say chris moyles came up with something like that would be wrong too, he would only be ripping off an idea thats been around for years and years.

But atleaset Moylesy is funny.

i find chris moyles very over-rated.

i find chris moyles very over-rated.

I lived in the UK and first heard him when he was on in the afternoon. I found him abrupt to start with, much more so thatn any Irish DJ. But I soon grow to found him very funny indeed. He did get a bit up himself when he took the breakfast slot after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

i didnt realise Chris Moyles invented wacky radio:rolleyes:

Foley isnt that bad and moyles who is good isnt that great.Go to itunes and pick up some radio podcasts,there are plenty of the moyles/foley type and every decent american station has a wacky funny dj.

raven136 wrote: »

Foley isnt that bad and moyles who is good isnt that great.Go to itunes and pick up some radio podcasts,there are plenty of the moyles/foley type and every decent american station has a wacky funny dj.

He didn't, nobody suggested he did. He is just one of the most famous and closest to Dublin.

Can you recommend any for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 theevilmonkey

I think Foley may be casting his feature-net wider across the BBC's radio stations...George Lambs' show on 6 Music has had a Spelling Bee feature for the last couple of weeks.

I'll have to wait for the first "shabba" or Arnie quote to confirm though.

• Advertisement

Fago_25 wrote: »
    Can you recommend any for me?

try jon richardson and adam and joe,not exactly the saem type but both much funnier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭djsupreme

I quite like of the Australian zoo radio. U should check out the podcast from Hamish and Andy. They are on the Today network in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

He is doing the whole TV Theme tunes AGAIN. The whole 'we are jokers' is getting old.

Like they are all on youtube if anyone wants to check them up.

its friday, start of the show friday is ALWAYS lazy radio. he's given it its own slot instead of doing it all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I last heard something like fake obituaries on his show and just cannot bring myself to tune in ever again after it. It was so unfunny, so childishly done and so patethically thrown together I'm sure the majority of people who were listening were just cringing like never before....I know I was!

djsupreme wrote: »
    I quite like of the Australian zoo radio. U should check out the podcast from Hamish and Andy. They are on the Today network in Oz.

that hamish and andy podcast is oen of the best available,very funny and seems genuine.Really good show

that hamish and andy podcast is oen of the best available,very funny and seems genuine.Really good show

So true. In my opinion, it's way better than anything in Ireland. WAY better. So natural.
    DarkJager wrote: »
    I last heard something like fake obituaries on his show and just cannot bring myself to tune in ever again after it. It was so unfunny, so childishly done and so patethically thrown together I'm sure the majority of people who were listening were just cringing like never before....I know I was!

That (Along with Lazy Radio) has to be the worst radio feature ever. He's getting very lazy nowadays. VERY lazy!

Look at the amount of material Moyles and Hamish and Andy can fit in to a radio show. Keep in mind he (Moyles) has a 3 and a half hour show to do and always has stuff to do. It's getting ridiculous.

I'll still listen for the time being but if it doesn't shape up i'm out.

Foley, I'm a big fan, but if your reading this thread, TAKE HINTS!!!!! Christ sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Why do Radio DJs have to go on about how they and all djs are thick? Ray Foley and particularly Rick O'Shea likes to reiterate their lack of IQ on a regular basis. Is it the 'in thing' to say for a DJ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Cant really comment much on Ray Foley show as I realised a long time ago that the show was brutal and he gave off the impression that he was a talentless sack of sh!t. And on that day I vowed never to listen to Today FM at during his broadcast.

If people didnt tune in then the ratings would be cat and he'd be off loaded.

Seeing as he's still on the airwaves he's obviously somebodys cup of tea ... unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GAMBLOR!

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Cant really comment much on Ray Foley show as I realised a long time ago that the show was brutal and he gave off the impression that he was a talentless sack of sh!t. And on that day I vowed never to listen to Today FM at during his broadcast.

If people didnt tune in then the ratings would be cat and he'd be off loaded.

Seeing as he's still on the airwaves he's obviously somebodys cup of tea ... unfortunately

Agreed. Totally! I'm lucky enough to be able to re-tune the radio in work, I make a dive for it at mid-day, usually over to Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Saskia

Saskia wrote: »
    And he owns that thread with a well reasoned retort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Well, he retorted, which was fair enough. Whether it was well reasoned or not is debatable.

Given that the vast majority of Boards comment about RF stems from the now established fact that he doesn't take criticism well, attack as a form of defence probably wasn't the correct course of action; He proceeded to insult the poster, instead of doing the clever thing and simply rising above it (which, I appreciate , is difficult) , and to cap it all, in attempting a 'slam-dunk' 'in your face' finale to his post, he sardonically (but mistakenly) attributed someone else's comment to the original poster . Probably typed while angry, but still sloppy.

Not quite "owned" material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Aikon2009

he is class:D

What's the big problem with someone posting in response to negative things being written about them on a messageboard? In my opinion, considering you have in the charter that he/his work shouldn't be discussed, you shouldn't allow threads like this to continue. He's also banned from these forums so can't respond if he wishes to do so. It's bad form. The guy is just trying to make a living FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What's the big problem with someone posting in response to negative things being written about them on a messageboard? In my opinion, considering you have in the charter that he/his work shouldn't be discussed, you shouldn't allow threads like this to continue. He's also banned from these forums so can't respond if he wishes to do so. It's bad form. The guy is just trying to make a living FFS.

People, mostly fans, wanted the threads to be allowed.

I've handed out infractions to people who have resorted to personal insults towards him on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

Nothing against Mr Foley, but I just don't think he's remotely funny. There's nothing wrong with this as the vast majority of us aren't funny, the problem for Mr Foley is that, in the same way as Dick 'n' Dom who used to be on the BBC, he appears to think he is hilarious.

Before X-mas, I thought his show was getting a wee bit stale.

But low and behold he's entertaining me again.

Any Foley fans think his show has improved in the last few months?

+1, he seems to have realised he needs to do a bit more work, now we're getting regular twitter updates, regular podcasts, new features. maybe a yearly meteor nomination isnt a bad thing, keeps him on his toes :p

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Firetrap wrote: »
    Seeing as most of his listeners use Bebo, I fear for their ability to spell any word that goes above four letters and doesn't have OMG!!!, LOL, Plzz, Luv U etc. :D

Hardly, considering many Bebo users would be in school at the time his show goes out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement