Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from Quinn to VHI

Options
  • 27-08-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

...how do they know if u are in the middle of any treatment or if u have to get treatment? Mr Mel has to get a very small procedure, its not expensive, but if before he gets it he changes to VHI, and then has it done, how will they know he saw a doctor who recommended this before he joined while he was with Quinn?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

There's a 6 month or so waiting period where cover is restricted basically to stop you joining a company and submitting a claim you knew would happen.

They willl see the receipts with dates and say you were in the restricted period and wont pay. I'd wait till Mr. Mel has his little procedure completed!

From the Health Insurance Authority website

"Currently receiving treatment

If you switch health insurers to a policy with a similar level of cover, while being treated for an illness, your cover will not be affected."

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

as long as all waiting periods were satisfied with previous insurer and you do not have a break in cover, there will not be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

Mel, I'm not too sure about the posts above.
    In my one it states that claims are excluded if you have seen a doctor about 'the problem' in the last 12 (or 24) months. I'm sure they have ways and means of finding these things out. As the other poster states if you are currently receiving treatment and switch then you should be alright but it somewhat contradicts my first statement. And as far as I know you mightn't be able to get the higher level cover you are probably switching to VHI for.

If it was the case I could pay the lowest price premium with insurer A, then when I have to get treatment or surgery then switch to a a different insurer with 'similar' level of cover but slightly better cover and it works out better for you. Somehow I don't think this would be the case, health insurance is around yonks and they would have closed forseen gaps like this with specific wordings. Your best bet is to call VHI, tell them your with Quinn and ask them specifically. Record the call also, don't give your real name in case they say no and you want to risk it anyway!

Advertisement