Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinion's On This Car - Bargain?

Options
  • 27-08-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=5071

What do you think of this car? Reckon it would cost around 9,500 including VRT. OMSP is around 14,000. Any reports of any mechanical problems with this model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Its averaged about 25k miles per year.....thats quite a bit! Also being a fleet car it may not have been driven with the greatest level of mechanical sympathy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 god knows

I've had 5 of these mazda 6's over the last 4 years and they are great cars, especially the diesels. i've had a couple of problems with the steering, just knocks and that, but its easily fixed and not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'd be inclined to agree with my namesake above.. However it does look in pretty good shape, so get the HPI check and get it checked out by a mechanic, if it's in good nick then it looks like I nice buy :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dave147 wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with my namesake above.. However it does look in pretty good shape, so get the HPI check and get it checked out by a mechanic, if it's in good nick then it looks like I nice buy :)

all autoquake cars come with a full hpi check already carried out. i was just looking at an 07 accord with my mate with them, they seem to have a lot of very well kept cars, and they dont hide anything, did you see how many photos of each car they have for sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, you might want to talk to GalwayTT with regards the Mazda 6 diesel. He has or had one which the engine has died on him and it is apparently not an issolated incident with the 6 diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Looking at the pics, a couple of the alloys seem badly battered.

There is something odd about the picture of the spare wheel
    Looks like there is black paint sprayed on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

dingding wrote: »
    Looking at the pics, a couple of the alloys seem badly battered.

Shows signs that it was driven without care. No photos of interior of the car.

I'd be inclined to agree with you there. The front right wheels looks rightly scuffed. It could of been an accident but then again it could be down to the car been driving without care.
    I'd reccomend a Passat Tdi or the likes as i can't imagine resale on a 2.0 petrol Mazda in Ireland being the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be inclined to agree with you there. The front right wheels looks rightly scuffed. It could of been an accident but then again it could be down to the car been driving without care.
    I'd reccomend a Passat Tdi or the likes as i can't imagine resale on a 2.0 petrol Mazda in Ireland being the best.

I thought it was diesel.

The only other thing to consider is that the Japenese dont make the best diesels around. In Japan and the US there is no diesel culture so their engines are developed for a relatively small market (i.e. Europe) and so struggle against the likes of Ford, VW etc. I have a friend working for Toyota and he would not recommend their diesels! Its just a thought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Mr.David wrote: »
    The only other thing to consider is that the Japenese dont make the best diesels around. In Japan and the US there is no diesel culture so their engines are developed for a relatively small market (i.e. Europe) and so struggle against the likes of Ford, VW etc. I have a friend working for Toyota and he would not recommend their diesels! Its just a thought......

Well, Ford use the PSA group a lot and VW's 1.9 is hardly an engine to be proud of this day and age, so I wouldn't be so quick to knock Japanese diesels. The Accord and Legacy diesels are among the best in the world.
    OP, if it checks out mechanically and with paperwork, then go for it. It's a good buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 master-d

Mr.David wrote: »
    being a fleet car it may not have been driven with the greatest level of mechanical sympathy!

I would disagree with this comment to an extent, while in some cases people abuse company cars, the majority of people (that I know anyway) drive the car the same way they would if it was there own car ie; if it was driven by a young lad it was probably driven hard and if it was driven by and older man/woman odds are it has had a handy life and i dont know to many young lads that drive mazda 6's.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that the maintenance of a fleet car is paid for by the fleet company so there is a much higher likelihood that the car has been well serviced and the driver got any mechanical issues sorted out as the drivers do not have to foot the cost.

-Edit- Generaly if the bodywork and interior of the car is are in good condition(which it seems to be with the exception of a slightly damaged alloy) I would take that as being a sign that the car has had a carefull owner/driver and hence the mechanics would have been taken car of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

master-d wrote: »
    I would disagree with this comment to an extent, while in some cases people abuse company cars, the majority of people (that I know anyway) drive the car the same way they would if it was there own car ie; if it was driven by a young lad it was probably driven hard and if it was driven by and older man/woman odds are it has had a handy life and i dont know to many young lads that drive mazda 6's.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that the maintenance of a fleet car is paid for by the fleet company so there is a much higher likelihood that the car has been well serviced and the driver got any mechanical issues sorted out as the drivers do not have to foot the cost.

+1

Fleet companies are very sensitive to residual values and so will only repair cars with reputable bodyshops and will, by and large, use main dealers (or the best of the independent garages) for servicing.

The fleet companies will then run reports comparing spend on vehicles and flagging to the company if one driver is going through tyres/fuel much faster than everyone else. The company can then discuss it with the driver.

I've driven company cars for the last 7 years and I treat them very well - if I scuff the corner of my own car against a wall, I can shrug and drive on. If I do the same with my company car, I have to go and explain to my boss what an idiot I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

spillcoe wrote: »
    http://www.autoquake.com/vehicle/inspid=5071

What do you think of this car? Reckon it would cost around 9,500 including VRT. OMSP is around 14,000. Any reports of any mechanical problems with this model?

if thats any damage to this car, dont be surprised.... fleet companys generally are lenient to the maintenance, they just wash and wax then give it to the next customer, unless the car is stated to be dangerous its keep in serculation, Whenever a car is off the road there losing money...

hence why they can afford to sell a car off for 500-1000 less then the rest of the over priced cars on carzone or carbuyersguide or any of the usual suspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Milage seems to be very high.

What's Bad

Only one star in NCAP pedestrian safety test. Good looks of Mazda 6 seriously compromised by bonnet bulge and new front of MPS.

Complaints that headlights don't give enough illumination.
    What to Watch Out For

Clutch vibration on diesels can be cured FOC by a dealer-fit modification (though this may be confused with the a/c clutch mod under 'recalls').

Enough reports of premature clutch and clutch/flywheel failure to state that the model seems to suffer a much higher rate of this than would be normal.

Several complaints of 5th gear failure on diesels. On the 136PS 5-speed diesel, labouring of the engine in 5th (and towing) can lead to a short 5th gear life as the selector pins wear. Not a problem on later 6-speed box.

Headlights bulbs can blow continually

ECU light of diesels come on intermittently due to Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valves getting gummed up and needing replacing.

One reader had a spate of problems in two and a half years:- new clutch (18,000miles). New rear tyres due to mis-alignment (20,000miles). Brake discs re-skimmed (23,000 miles: again seems to be a common problem), throttle body cleaned out due to a sticking butterfly valve (26,000miles).

75,000 mile service of diesels expensive at around £700 as includes timing belt and tensioner change. Headlamps can be prone to blowing bulbs.

Failure of suction valve in the fuel tank lifter pump of diesels leads to stalling. Faulty batch of valves in 2003 build cars. Mazda has offered 60% of the parts cost.

Rusting under the paint at the fronts of the rear wheel arches quite common after about 4 years.

Numerous reports of crankshaft big end failure on 2000 - 2003 136PS diesels.

Recalls

7-2-2003: A surging noise from the air conditioner clutch may be interpreted as a fuel pressure leak by the ECU sensors. This activates the fail safe and shuts the engine down. Install a short cord with condensor in the air-conditioner magnetic clutch wiring harness. 8-8-2003: On 16,332 cars JMZGG...100113 to 184907 and JMZGY...10039 to 134865 brake fluid reservoir may temporarily expand during pressure bleeding of brake system which can cause float of fluid level sensor to seize or be displaced resulting in non function of brake fluid warning light. Check position and operation of float, adjust if necessary and fit caution notice to reservoir. 12-12-2003: on 29,555 Mazdas (JMZGG...100113 to 169924 and 100039 to 127717) repeated thermal expansion and contraction may cause front foglight socket holder to become detached from foglight case and bulb to come into contact with car body or fittings. Spring to be fitted to rear of fog lights to prevent this from happening. December 2004: Recall on all Mazda 6 petrol models because insufficient clearance between the exhaust and the fuel tank heat insulator can cause the plastic tank to melt with resultant fuel loss (VOSA ref. R2004/111). 2008: TSB to replace injector seals of diesels at first service.

Advertisement