Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dept seeking cutbacks in educational support - Disgrace

• 27-08-2008 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Breakingnews.ie - Dept seeking cutbacks in educational support

INTO Response

I am left absolutely disgusted by the governments attitude to education. Once again, when a few bob needs to be saved, we fleece the children. Why? They can't vote. They have no voice that is listened to, and they are a way to save easy money.

Wouldn't it be nice if the politicians in each of our constituencies received a little email this morning.

What a shortsighted, cowardly way to save money.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Every one of us in school rang our local politician this morning, I suggest everyone else does too.
    It's appalling, as it is money runs out too soon. Cowardly is the nicest way to put it Trotter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭J.R.

Earlier this year they cut the SUMMER WORKS GRANT which allowed schools to apply for grant to update windows, roofs, heating, etc.

Now they have cut the MINOR WORKS GRANT which was used in school to carry out maintenance & minor repairs to keep the place ticking over.

I don't know how they expect schools to try to maintain standards with no investment.

Fine Gael National Press Office Press Release Saturday July 19th 2008

Revealed: minor works grant for schools axed this year - Hayes
    Fine Gael Education Spokesman Brian Hayes TD has revealed that, despite false assurances from the Fianna Fáil Government last week that Education would not suffer cutbacks, the schools Grant Scheme for Minor Works will not go ahead as planned this year.
    The Grant is usually paid out between October and December but last Thursday week - just 48 hours after Brian Cowen claimed Education wouldn't be touched by his cutbacks and the exact same day that Batt O'Keeffe spoke in the Dáil making the same claim - Brian Hayes received a Parliamentary Question that showed the opposite.
    The Grant Scheme for Minor Works to National School Properties is commonly known as the Devolved Grant and is spent on schools' physical infrastructure of the school including items of furniture or equipment for educational use including IT related equipment.
    "It is clear that Fianna Fáil Ministers were lying when they said that Education would be exempt from the cutbacks being implemented as a result of Brian Cowen's recession.
    "As the information I received from the Education Department shows (see below), Minister Batt O'Keeffe has confirmed that the Minor Works Scheme is being cut for 2008. Minister O'Keeffe claims that the Scheme will be deferred to 2009 but does anyone really believe that his Department will pay out the Minor Works Scheme twice that year (the 2008 payment and the 2009 payment), especially when the Government is looking to slash another €1 billion from Exchequer spending?
    "Works covered under the Minor Works Scheme include improvements to school buildings and grounds and in 2007 comprised a €27 million payout to schools. The Government had already abolished the Summer Works Scheme and with schools creaking under the weight of lack of investment from Fianna Fáil, the Minister sees fit to slash yet another vital grant.
    "With this cut, it is clear once and for all that the Fianna Fáil Government intends Education to bear the brunt of Brian Cowen's recession cutbacks."
    Ends
    Note: Parliamentary Question from Brian Hayes TD to the Minister for Education follows:
    Chun an Aire Oideachais agus Eolaíoctha
    To the Minister for Education and Science
    To ask the Minister for Education and Science the progress in regard to the commitment given in the Programme for Government to increase the minor works grant 1599 to improve funding to schools to maintain their buildings in good
    condition.
    - Brian Hayes.
    To ask the Minister for Education and Science the number of schools that applied for the devolved or minor works grant from 2000 to date in 2008; the number of schools granted funding during the same period; the amount paid out
    in total for each year; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
    -Brian Hayes.
    To ask the Minister for Education and Science the number of schools that have applied for the devolved grant in the 2007/2008 school year; the number of schools that have received funding; the amount paid out to date in relation to
    same; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
    -Brian Hayes.
    To ask the Minister for Education and Science the date on which the devolved grant for minor works for the school year 2008/2009 will be paid to schools; the number of schools that will receive funding under the scheme; the level of
    expenditure that will be expended under the scheme; and if he will make a statement on the matter.
    -Brian Hayes.
    * For WRITTEN answer on Thursday, 10th July, 2008.
    Reference Number: 28693/08, 28959/08, 28960/08, 28979/08
    Freagra
    Minister for Education and Science (Batt O'Keeffe, T.D.)
    I propose to take questions 644, 711, 712 and 731 together.
    A devolved Minor Works Grant is paid to all fully recognised primary schools annually. In November 2006, the funding for the minor works grant was increased by 44% on the previous year. Over €27m was paid out to schools throughout the country in 2007 to enable thousands of small scale works to be completed without the need to interact with my Department. Individual primary schools received a grant in the sum of €5,500 plus €18.50 per pupil.
    There are close to 3,300 primary schools including 126 special schools in the State. The Deputy will appreciate that the total number of schools will vary from year to year on account of closures, amalgamations and new school
    openings. In this regard, 22 new schools will open with effect from September next.
    It is intended that the Minor Works Grant for the 2008/2009 school year will be paid in 2009.
    The level of grant to be paid under the grant scheme will be considered in that context and in the light of the trend in the cost of building works generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You know I despair at the political landscape in Ireland , certainly with respect to Education.Basically as teachers we have to choose between the current 'lot' ...need I say more(!) and Fine Gael ...now lest any of their supporters (and my family would be amongst them )get too sanctimonious I would remind them of their party's SERIOUS (as discussed by Olwyn Enright on Today FM etc etc )proposal to cut (certainly secondary) teachers Summer holidays by ONE MONTH!
    You know what call me selfish but I dont care who holds the moral high ground in our silly party political system that is FAR too bitter a pill for me to swallow -no way,no how!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Any suggestion to cut the summer holidays by one month shows a serious lack of understanding (at any level) of what happens with the State exams. I'd give it an NG.

Advertisement