Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying in a University in the USA

• 27-08-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've tried searching for information on boards.ie using the search facility but with little joy.

Basically, I have a degree in engineering but want to study a Masters in Industrial Arts/Design. I've found a college and masters program in San Fran I want to go to, etc

What I need to know is, has anyone gone through the process of applying and obtaining the F-1 visa for students? Are there any other visas available? I used the J1 visa while I did my degree. Can I apply for it again or if its used once is that it? How long does the whole process take? Is it very selective, etc? Any help greatly appreciated!!

BC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You can have multiple J1s in your lifetime but if you're entire course of study will be in the US you have to get an F1. The college you're dealing with will be well used to this if they have overseas students, but the process can take sometime. You may get it done in time for Winter admission in January.

Usually you go through the whole application process and once your place is confirmed with the college, they petition for your visa etc.
    The visa process isn't much different to that of a J1 from your point of view, the toughest part would be getting a place on the course!

I should also mention dependent on nationality you may be subject to a two-year residency rule in respect of your last J1, it's worth checking out on the visa in your passport if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ellscurr wrote: »
    You can have multiple J1s in your lifetime but if you're entire course of study will be in the US you have to get an F1. The college you're dealing with will be well used to this if they have overseas students, but the process can take sometime. You may get it done in time for Winter admission in January.

Usually you go through the whole application process and once your place is confirmed with the college, they petition for your visa etc.
    The visa process isn't much different to that of a J1 from your point of view, the toughest part would be getting a place on the course!

I should also mention dependent on nationality you may be subject to a two-year residency rule in respect of your last J1, it's worth checking out on the visa in your passport if that's the case.

Cheers for that info! I went on the J1 in my final year in 2002 and I'm Irish so I presume the 2 year residency rule wouldn't apply?

I'll be in the states for the duration of the course (should I be accepted) so it's the F-1 I'll be applying for I guess. I'm in the process of completing my application for the Spring 09 semester. If I follow you correctly, I have to wait until I get accepted to the university before the visa application can begin? (The university has told me that I don't need a visa approved for the application process) but would I be better off trying to start the visa application now (or is an official acceptance to the uni required first?)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Cheers for that info! I went on the J1 in my final year in 2002 and I'm Irish so I presume the 2 year residency rule wouldn't apply?

I'll be in the states for the duration of the course (should I be accepted) so it's the F-1 I'll be applying for I guess. I'm in the process of completing my application for the Spring 09 semester. If I follow you correctly, I have to wait until I get accepted to the university before the visa application can begin? (The university has told me that I don't need a visa approved for the application process) but would I be better off trying to start the visa application now (or is an official acceptance to the uni required first?)?

Yup, because they start the visa process at their end and obviously only do it for students who are accepted. What's the general application deadline for the uni?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

ellscurr wrote: »
    Yup, because they start the visa process at their end and obviously only do it for students who are accepted. What's the general application deadline for the uni?

General deadline for the Uni is Sept 15th (for international students) and for the actual masters in Industrial Arts Department it's October 15th...

If I'm screwed timewise for the Spring semester I can also apply for Fall later in the year but would obviously prefer spring

Advertisement